Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 17:57   #1

City Island, NYC to Miami, FL

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time posting on here...

My family is looking for someone to deliver our 1998 Hunter 410 from City Island, Bronx, NY to Miami, FL by early to mid May 2020. I've done some initial searching and received one quote so far. It came in much higher than anticipated. Does anyone have suggestions for what a reasonable price range would look like for a job like this?

Thanks ahead of time!

CC
CoconutCartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 18:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: City Island, NYC to Miami, FL

I am a skilled delivery captain. For that job, now? You would need to back a brinks truck up to my house. City Island is in the Bronx is a COVID-19 ‘hotspot’. Miami is also a ‘hotspot’. Also, it is not clear what ports will be open.

Having learned to sail off City Island and delivered boats up and down the coast I would be happy to discuss moving your boat in June or July- assuming the pandemic quiets down.

Please check my profile for a link to my website. Feel free to email me and I will share my phone number.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CC.
What Snore said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 15:57   #4

Thanks, Gord. Snore (or others), assuming there was no ongoing pandemic, what would a rough estimate of time and money necessary for a delivery such as this? Are we talking ballpark of thousands, ten thousand, etc.?
CoconutCartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 16:11   #5

Given COVID-19 a May timeframe is unrealistic. June doubtful at best.

After that you are deep into entering hurricane season.

Perhaps a truck transporter, there be many.

There just not likely anyone willing or able to transport given the travel restrictions and the necessity to have to undergo 14 days quarantine isolation at both ends of the journey, in Florida and then upon return to New York, so 28 days cost of lodging, meals, wages, for the the entire delivery team in addition to their transit time and costs. $$$$$$

Given that there are lots of boats needing to be moved because their owners can't under the circumstances any delivery method will likely be at a premium rate.

Next year perhaps.

A trucker that can provide a quote for guidance. https://www.wewilltransportit.com/bo...sport-florida/

Good luck.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 16:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
City Island, NYC to Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutCartel View Post
Thanks, Gord. Snore (or others), assuming there was no ongoing pandemic, what would a rough estimate of time and money necessary for a delivery such as this? Are we talking ballpark of thousands, ten thousand, etc.?

PM sent—- assumes no quarantine!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:36   #7

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

From what I hear there are almost no boats moving now from Palm Beach south in FL

Also, do you really want to move your boat into hurricane country in June?
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:55   #8

I can do it reasonably; pls contact stmurray62 @gmail.com
904 557 6932
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:27   #9
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=CoconutCartel;3110197]Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time posting on here...

My family is looking for someone to deliver our 1998 Hunter 410 from City Island, Bronx, NY to Miami, FL by early to mid May 2020. I've done some initial searching and received one quote so far. It came in much higher than anticipated. Does anyone have suggestions for what a reasonable price range would look like for a job like this?

Thanks ahead of time!

My crew and I would be happy to lend you our services. If you will give me your email address, I will send you all the information you need. Regards,
Captain Dave Jorgensen
Old 07-04-2020, 11:09   #10

Boat: Tartan30

Given the times, there are many details to sort out.
I would be willing to talk with you about this to see if something can be worked out. email me plz scottydaum@gmail.com
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 18:22   #11

Hi.i'm a friend of highly qualified delivery captain currently doing a transatlantic delivery. He is interested. Also works for the sail center at One15 Brooklyn Marina. he will be available in about 2 weeks to discuss. You can contact me rsailorbob@yahoo.com.
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 19:18   #12

PS. Delivery Captain holds 100 ton USCG Master License.
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:14   #13
Marine Service Provider

You say you got one quote, but it was more than you anticipated? What do you think is a fair wage for a crew to work 24-7 in a risky environment on a strange boat that you are either unable or unwilling or unqualified to deliver? Plus---a day on each end for preparation and travel and to be away for a week or two! Plus to have gear and clothing for such a trip. You are asking for our suggestions or advice or quotes. This is a trip I have performed professionally many times on power and sail in both directions and at different times of year in different conditions. In addition to the COVID challenges and the start of hurricane season already mentioned, this is going against the Gulf Stream of course. I would respectfully suggest that you share the details of the estimate you got with us. As you know, there are many reasons why in this business, the estimates can vary a lot--as they should, unlike in some businesses were fees are more or less within a small range because of the labor market and less uncertainty in the service (i.e. weather!!!). Generally, as with anything else, you will get what you pay for. Therefore, it is in YOUR best interest as the owner to choose wisely based on experience, actual breadth of services, professionalism and your gut instinct, and not try to cut corners. You might want to make the price as only one factor to consider, and a tertiary or quarternary factor at best. You probably did not become the owner of a 41' boat by being lowest bidder or accepting such bids, but were likely the recipient of high income because you were worth it and worked to gain the experience required.
In the boating world, you can always find a down and out or less experienced crew who is willing to offer the lowest bid. Some even advertise as such. That is, to put it politely, poor economy. Speaking of which.....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Paul, I find your tirade embarrassing. As a delivery captain, I find many people who are not willing or able to pay my fees. That doesn't offend me. It's just business and a fact of life. Apparently, you are one of the chosen few who are hired only by the wealthy semi-sailors that don't question price. I'm not one of those.
Old 13-04-2020, 07:51   #15

Boat: EDELCAT33

Unless you have a private dock in Miami, all publicmarinas are closed and are not taking any new patrons.
I am not sure about private marinas. There is no boating allowed here unless you are a commercial fisherman. Although I have to say that I saw a mega yacht anchored in front of the Miami Sea Aquarium on Saturday with 5 PWC tied behind it. Maybe they have a nice connection? I don’t know.
COVID in Miami accounts for 35% of Florida cases, and is well under reported as those not 65+ or first responder cannot get tested. It may place a premium in delivery as you will be asking to travel in hurricane season and lots of variables to consider if the needs arises to hide in the inter coastal. You might be detained depending on the state
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, nyc