Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 05:26   #1

Co-ed Crew Accommodations

Looking for advice from some of the more seasoned folks related to providing accommodations to a co-ed crew.

Long story short, currently in the final preparation stage for an Atlantic crossing. The crew consists of myself (owner), skipper (hired professional) and one crew (volunteer, no ocean crossing experience, deckhand / watchkeeper, etc...).

A professional sailor with a great deal of experience has essentially landed on my lap and because he wants to get where we are going has offered his services gratis.

I spoke with the skipper and he basically said that 4 was better than 3 and the gentleman was more than qualified.

Here is the problem; the vessel has 3 berths, one of which has a wooden plank separator to provide a division in the bed. The plan had been for the crew to be in this berth. When I mentioned the new plan to the crew, she asked if the new person was a female and when I said no, she became quite uncomfortable.

Is there a "crew accommodations etiquette" regarding situations of this nature?

Overall safety would benefit from having the extra crew but I don't know if the "cost" is worth it. I'm not comfortable asking the skipper to switch up his accommodations so that leaves me. I know only I can make this decision for myself but the thought of giving up the owners berth is quite unappealing to me at the moment.

My desire to please / keep everyone comfortable is probably causing me to overthink this hence my post here.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:19   #2

Re: Co-ed Crew Accommodations

Hey Salty,

During offshore passages, it's generally catch-as-catch-can. Musical bunks.

When I've done passages like this, I (the one chick on board) was usually allocated the quarterberth, but once you're underway, everybody tends to sleep everywhere.

The quarterberth is (my fav) place to sleep (or a midships setee with leecloth), but depending on weather and what tack the boat is on, it may be too noisy/busy to get a good night's sleep - which is essential. (You'll want a well-rested crew to be your primary consideration.)

Why don't you ask your female crew where she'd feel comfortable? (knowing that once you're underway, distinctions such as "my" bunk and "owners" cabins tend to dissolve.) Everyone will sleep everywhere.

Years ago, before my first offshore passage, an old, VERY Salty Dawg gave me these "rules" for harmony offshore:

1. Never be late for a watch. Never. Just do NOT. Ever.

2. One hand for you, one for the boat. Make sure all crew understands this is for safety. Always have one hand hanging onto something.

3. Don't be selfish. (If you're making a cup of tea for yourself, make one for everyone.) It's not an owner's cabin - on passage, it's everyone's cabin. You'll get your cabin back once the delivery crew gets off the boat.

4. Keep all your s**t in one place! In the small space of a boat's cabin, it drives everyone nuts on passage if one of the crew is leaving various items - books, socks, general personal crap, all over the boat. Everyone should keep their stuff in their ONE duffle bag and hang their foulies in the wet locker.

Fair winds, Salty! I'm sure you'll learn a lot. LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You'll want a well-rested crew to be your primary consideration.

Fair winds, Salty! I'm sure you'll learn a lot. LittleWing77

This is exactly what I'm trying to address. Making sure everyone is comfortable (physically and mentally) to get as much rest as possible when off watch.

Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Hot bunks is the norm on most cruising yachts. I sleep on deck a lot during other crew watches. Sharing does not mean simultaneous use. Perhaps getting to know everyone would help. Probably discuss with the owner first.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Hot bunks is the norm on most cruising yachts. I sleep on deck a lot during other crew watches. Sharing does not mean simultaneous use. Perhaps getting to know everyone would help. Probably discuss with the owner first.
Nicholson! He IS the owner!

He's just trying to cover all contingencies.

(You're very welcome, Salty.)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:02   #6

You will get better and more sleep with an additional crew member, even without the comfy cabin. Your volunteer female crew is likely to back out on you if she feels you're putting her into an uncomfortable or personally unsafe situation. Give her the owner's cabin.
-OvO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:04   #7

personally I would choose between the two crew members. I tend to believe in this age that asking a female to share a berth with an unknown male member is just not appropriate. I am sure others will disagree but why even set yourself up for a possible headache. You seem to not know any of these people particularly well.
just my thoughts
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:54   #8

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
When I mentioned the new plan to the crew, she asked if the new person was a female and when I said no, she became quite uncomfortable.
I don't blame her. All of you are stranger to each other. You must respect her comfort zone. Find a male crew to simplify this, but don't make her to choose between no sail and share sleeping arrangement.

Good luck.

P.S. If the female crew is an seasoned off-shore sailor, this is unlikely be a problem. But for a brand new sailor, this is just too many unknown for this person to accept.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:08   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Four is much better than three.

A high priority were it my boat would be for the lady to understand without a doubt that she will be safe, respected and welcome on my boat. I would give her first choice of bunks and let the guys sort out the rest among themselves. I would provide her a private place to dress at the minimum.

I would have a crew briefing before setting out to set expectations. Expectations include that when on passage sometimes the forward bunks can be uncomfortable and that crew are welcome to use any unoccupied bunk, but must leave it clean and clear when they get up. Having a clear conversation about this sets expectations for everyone and establishes equality across the ships company.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:34   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Have just completed a long passage with a similar problem.

Easy solution: we rigged up extra berths. Very easy; some light rope, sturdy hooks, PVC piping of about 30mm diameter and a quick sew up of some old canvas. No more difficult than making lee clothes.

Could have bought and rigged some off the shelf hammocks but too expensive.

And I agree, a crew of 4 is so much better than 3.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:38   #11

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
And I agree, a crew of 4 is so much better than 3.
Three monks just have enough water to drink, four Monks will have no water to drink.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 14:26   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

We regularly carry 6-8 people on a boat with 4 berths. It seems to work out.
After the first couple of days you’ll be too tired to care when off watch.

In your situation, consider making the divider (I assume in the V-berth) more substantial so they each have their own space.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew