Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2023, 12:01   #1

Colombia to Belize

Are you looking for a competent crew member, deckhand or masseur?

I got stranded in Colombia with my motorcycle due to engine failure. And I’m looking for a boat that could bring me AND the bike back to Belize ASAP.

I have fairly extensive sailing experience, easy to get along with, a yoga and meditation teacher background and don't get seasick 🙂. I'm strong, have a good work ethics, work well with others, maintain a calm head, have basic first aid skills, am positive-minded, function well with little sleep, and possess a good sense of humor!
Looking for options to bring my motorcycle along on board.

I would immensely appreciate any leads/tips/offerings to get wind in my sails. 

Thanks in advance.
Alex_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 14:03   #2

Re: Colombia - Belize

From a cruisers point of view, this is a bridge too far. I’ll explain why from my point of view but hasten to add that I’ve not cruised in those waters. The logistics of getting a SMALL motorbike on and off a cruising yacht are substantial, a big bike, not even possible. No one wants a bike lashed to the mast or lying on deck.... no one wants to dinghy a bike out to the Anchorage then hoist it aboard with the boom. Then there’s thorny problem of legality.... importing a motorcycle into Belize from Colombia by sea will raise suspicion with the authorities to the point where “some disassembly may be required” and the responsibility for whatever and whoever is on that boat falls on the owner.
If it’s a small motorbike, give it away to a Colombian and bus or fly out, if it’s a big bike, fix it in Colombia and ride on. Even without the bike, getting a ride on a passing yacht might be extraordinarily difficult.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 14:34   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme

I think you need to sell the bike and lighten your load before anyone would even consider letting you come aboard. The bike is a bridge too far IMO.
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 15:01   #4

Boat: ?

what's the "pirate" rate nowadays?
...to travel from cartagena to portobelo...
maybe $500 min per head? (maybe add another $500-$1000 for bike...assuming not too large)

then panama to belize would be another 10+ days...with the very few yachtties going north for belize/guatemala leaving in april or may to avoid the wet season in panama and getting beat up from northerners in belize... (easier to find a crew position from panama.. but i doubt there would be room for your bike)

i'm thinking for passage you'd want to ask around at the anchorage @club nautico...

just get yourself to panama 1st...or fix your bike in colombia as was mentioned previously to you.

imo, it should be significantly cheaper there than anywhere else..

i personally wouldnt get my hopes up concerning a "crew" positiion from colombia(unless you looked REALLY good in a bikini).. there is no overland passage and just too many hippies and too few boats down there
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 15:41   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Colombia to Belize

How big is the bike and total weight?
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 05:32   #6

Boat: Catalina, C-27

What kind of bike? Where at in Colombia are you stranded?
HotFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 14:03   #7

Good, valuable info there Chubby! Thanks mate!
Will look into your suggestions

"Unless looking great in bikini", hahahahaha.
Old 21-02-2023, 14:17   #8

Thanks a lot for your replies!

It involves a Ducati motorbike, so big size for sure! Not sure on the total weight.
Bike is currently stuck in Barranquilla, Colombia (near the main port).
Bike is originally from Belize, and therefore has a Belizean number plate/registration. So importing it, won't be so much of an issue.

I'm aware it is indeed a risky and out of the ordinary undertaking. Yet, I’m considering this option, as I've researched many other options in the past weeks, and it's simply not as easy as you might think/suggest.

Fixing the bike is not an option, as it needs a whole new engine. Replacing the engine is not possible, due to regulation and restrictions.
And I already happen to have a spare engine in Belize... Yet, importing the engine into Colombia turns out impossible, due to regulation.

Selling the bike locally is impossible for tourists, due to regulation.

Currently considering shipping the bike back to BZ via Cargo. Fingers crossed.

Good sails my friends!
Old 21-02-2023, 21:24   #9

Wow, that really is a complex situation, I hope it all works out favourably for you. Safe travels.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, Colombia