Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 20:25   #1

Boat: 1975 Pearson 10M
Competent Sailor Near Houston - Passage from Matagorda to Kemah

I am an inexperienced, yet eager to learn, sailor. I am an easy going guy of 36 years, with an eclectic mix of hippy and good-old-boy present in my personality and reflected in my experiences.

I just purchased a 1975 Pearson 10M in reasonably good condition and ostensibly seaworthy. She needs to be moved from her dock on the Colorado River North of Matagorda to her new slip in Kemah.

I am prepared to make this journey motoring along the ICW with nothing more than high hopes, a girlfriend to take pictures, and brass balls. However, it would be far more enjoyable (and potentially less harrowing) to go straight out into the gulf and sail her home. That's where you come in, Skipper!

I will provide transportation from your home in the Houston area to the boat in Matagorda (and of course back home), tasty food, quality drinks, witty banter, and another 120 kts on the sailing resume. Also, I am willing to offer some agreed upon compensation for the time, if need be.

Timeline is flexible, but needs to be before the end of June at the latest. If you or anyone you know would enjoy this short 18-24 hour adventure, let's make it happen!
Pearson10M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 07:16   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Competent Sailor Near Houston - Passage from Matagorda to Kemah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson10M View Post
I am an inexperienced, yet eager to learn, sailor. I am an easy going guy of 36 years, with an eclectic mix of hippy and good-old-boy present in my personality and reflected in my experiences.

I just purchased a 1975 Pearson 10M in reasonably good condition and ostensibly seaworthy. She needs to be moved from her dock on the Colorado River North of Matagorda to her new slip in Kemah.

I am prepared to make this journey motoring along the ICW with nothing more than high hopes, a girlfriend to take pictures, and brass balls. However, it would be far more enjoyable (and potentially less harrowing) to go straight out into the gulf and sail her home. That's where you come in, Skipper!

I will provide transportation from your home in the Houston area to the boat in Matagorda (and of course back home), tasty food, quality drinks, witty banter, and another 120 kts on the sailing resume. Also, I am willing to offer some agreed upon compensation for the time, if need be.

Timeline is flexible, but needs to be before the end of June at the latest. If you or anyone you know would enjoy this short 18-24 hour adventure, let's make it happen!

An old 10M, that’s a yar bot! I may be up for this. I’m a very fit 72 yr old with more than 40 yrs of sailing experience, racing, cruising, deliveries. I’ve raced extensively on NE, raced on lakes in OR, sailed 5000 miles offshore in the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean. I did the 2013 Harvest Moon Regatta and I’ve owned a dozen boats. I may be available from June 11 to the 16th if that works. If not then I would suggest you contact the Galveston Bay Cruising Association web site and post a crew wanted notice.
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 08:04   #3

Boat: Baba 35

I am 35 and recently purchased a boat in Kemah.

I am eager to pick up any kind of experience so if you would like an extra hand I would be happy to go and help out.

I don't really know anything other than what can be learned from books and youtube but I repair swimming pools and equipment so I am pretty handy and I am in the sun all day for work so I am good at being in the heat.

I will cover my own expenses for food or whatever of course and I work for myself so timing is flexible.

Good luck regardless!
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 08:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmo View Post
An old 10M, that’s a yar bot! I may be up for this. I’m a very fit 72 yr old with more than 40 yrs of sailing experience, racing, cruising, deliveries. I’ve raced extensively on NE, raced on lakes in OR, sailed 5000 miles offshore in the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean. I did the 2013 Harvest Moon Regatta and I’ve owned a dozen boats. I may be available from June 11 to the 16th if that works. If not then I would suggest you contact the Galveston Bay Cruising Association web site and post a crew wanted notice.
She seems yar as can be! I motored up river yesterday and shook out the sails as we drifted back. Amazing maneuverability even at such low speeds with a strong current.

Once the former owner saw the jib unfurled, it was easier to convince him to come along. Trying to go this week!
Old 29-05-2019, 13:41   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31

Sounds very doable. I'm a 31 dude with what sounds like a similar personality. I live in a Mariah 31 and have 6 or 7 gulf trips under the keel. I've got a fairly open schedule, let me know the details if you're still making the trip. I'm a paramedic, ASE certified diesel mechanic etc... It would be cool to go with the 70yo sailor above, I'm sure we could learn a few things
TheSarahTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 15:40   #6

Update:
I convinced the previous owner to make the journey. The boat's now happy and in her new home at Watergate Marina.

We tried to get into the Gulf, but what was predicted is 5 to 6 foot Seas were more like 8 to 10 foot Seas at the mouth of the Colorado River. The strong headwind only made it worse and the diesel did not have enough power to get us safely to sea. After taking a couple of big waves broadside we called it, turned around, and sailed the ditch with just the jib. 33 hours later, we made it with no major incidents. Hell of a first sailing journey!
Old 29-05-2019, 15:50   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31

Reminds me of my first time, 30 hours from kemah to Sabine pass. I'm at South shore for the month if you're up for some buddy cruising.
TheSarahTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 16:39   #8

Congratulations! The winds have been high for a couple of weeks so no surprise the waves were larger than normal.

On a different forum (not a sailing one) they saying is, “with no pictures, it didn’t happen.” Have a couple of pics for us?
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 16:51   #9

No pictures of the rough stuff, though I wish I had the presence of mind to strap on the GoPro. Here's a couple of the fun parts.

Old 29-05-2019, 16:56   #10

A good time had by all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190523_143825.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	192945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190523_094649.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	192946  

Name:	20190523_115105.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	192947   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190523_065724.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	192948  

Name:	20190523_065634.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	192949   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190523_065541.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	192950  

Old 29-05-2019, 17:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSarahTonin View Post
Reminds me of my first time, 30 hours from kemah to Sabine pass. I'm at South shore for the month if you're up for some buddy cruising.
Sent you a DM.

Tags
houston, kemah, passage, sail