Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 10:49   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Considering Private Charter (Start Up ) in Tampa area - Looking for the Right Par

When did the USA become such a people that they are willing, and quite able, to jump down another person’s throat at even the slightest chance of “perceived” social injustice?

I have reread it several times and see nothing worth getting my shorts in a knot over. YouTube is full of diatribes of who dissed whom. Can we not behave more civilly and not judge where not needed? Is it not kinder and more civil to “seek not to judge, seek to understand.”

Instead of attack mode... would it not be better to just ask the OP, “ why did you choose the age of 27 yrs?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:51   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Considering Private Charter (Start Up ) in Tampa area - Looking for the Right Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
There is no grief , just a fact of life, if one cannot except facts then blow me down.
Also everyone keeps going on about insurance which can be asked for age differences as it is completely different from a job or opportunity to work , so keep all you hairs in your head.
As this is a discussion board were there are different opinions allowed and were the OP can then decide for themselves what information they take out of it.

P.S it is not the E.U's fault that their labour and discrimination laws are more protective of people than other nations, again just another fact that we in the EU take for granted and are happy they exist.
I wonder if the advert suggested no one over 50 can apply how many of ye old time cruisers would get their nose out of joint

You obviously do not use crew sites often. There are several sites including European (UK?) based crew bay dot com that regularly puts ages on advertisements.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:21   #18

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Considering Private Charter (Start Up ) in Tampa area - Looking for the Right Par

Yikes. That's all I can say to some of those posts.

As for the OP, it's your boat; you're not breaking any laws that I can see.

Having recently interviewed somebody out of college who asked me mid-interview to "... please hang on a sec while I get this," and proceeded to let her friend know what time she'd pick her up to go out that evening, I could justify picking an age minimum for as involved and trust requiring as this job demands.

Just my humble opinion, which, like the OPs post doesn't require slamming.

Good luck in your search; from these responses I'd consider posting in a professional mag or looking among your sailing friends.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:26   #19

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Thanks LeeV...Despite the “grumblers”... We are seeing great responses from this and other announcement forums. Hopefully a few dark opinions won’t frighten off those truest inspired to introduce themselves!
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Yikes. That's all I can say to some of those posts.

As for the OP, it's your boat; you're not breaking any laws that I can see.

Having recently interviewed somebody out of college who asked me mid-interview to "... please hang on a sec while I get this," and proceeded to let her friend know what time she'd pick her up to go out that evening, I could justify picking an age minimum for as involved and trust requiring as this job demands.

Just my humble opinion, which, like the OPs post doesn't require slamming.

Good luck in your search; from these responses I'd consider posting in a professional mag or looking among your sailing friends.
And I recently interviewed a 45 year old who had a similar conversation with their adult child. I didn't hire them, and I in no way judged all remaining 45 year olds as identical to her, pretty simple really. It's pretty unbelievable that we even have to explain why discriminatory stereotyping is bad, very depressing.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:59   #21

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

In your requirements you omitted a USCG license which is a must for a legal charter operation.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:29   #22

Thanks Tingum...I have one...and if the “right fit” candidate doesn’t...we’ll get them one.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:47   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Simply amazing! Are any of you guys interested in this job? Or is this a handy way to give someone grief?

I stopped doing charters as a regular diet a little while back- otherwise I would apply for this. There may be exceptional Masters who are 25 that are qualified. AND if (s)he wanted this job AND had the fortitude to apply- my guess is the OP being a rational person would speak to him/her.

Geez!!!
Agreed. If some people were being hung they would want a new rope. It’s these people’s boat, it is their deal, they can damn well choose who they want.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 15:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Agreed. If some people were being hung they would want a new rope. It’s these people’s boat, it is their deal, they can damn well choose who they want.
Well actually they can't. They couldn't choose not to hire someone because they were over 40. They couldn't choose not to hire someone because they were black. They couldn't choose not to hire someone because they were a woman or because they were Catholic. There are lots of reasons why you can't legally "damn well choose who you want" and many more why you shouldn't ethically, I guess depending on one's ethics. Again it's just depressing to have to explain or defend why stereotyping and discrimination of any kind, legal or not, is ugly and disgusting. And as mentioned, those same folks who appear to be all for age discrimination against the young would be hopping up and down mad if you reversed it and said no one over 50 wanted (although that is flat out illegal), even though there are plenty of reasons one could articulate an older person might be less suitable for the job. So please, if you're not OK with being discriminated against yourself and reversing this ad, if your excuses don't also hold up in the other direction, don't tell those of us who make you face the ugliness of stereotyping and discrimination head on that we're the ones out of line. Sorry if making you all think about these things make you uncomfortable, perhaps a re-evaluation of the stereotyping is a better way of dealing with it than attacking the person who has the audacity to point it out?
Old 05-11-2019, 15:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Well actually they can't. They couldn't choose not to hire someone because they were over 40. They couldn't choose not to hire someone because they were black. They couldn't choose not to hire someone because they were a woman or because they were Catholic. There are lots of reasons why you can't legally "damn well choose who you want" and many more why you shouldn't ethically, I guess depending on one's ethics. Again it's just depressing to have to explain or defend why stereotyping and discrimination of any kind, legal or not, is ugly and disgusting. And as mentioned, those same folks who appear to be all for age discrimination against the young would be hopping up and down mad if you reversed it and said no one over 50 wanted (although that is flat out illegal), even though there are plenty of reasons one could articulate an older person might be less suitable for the job. So please, if you're not OK with being discriminated against yourself and reversing this ad, if your excuses don't also hold up in the other direction, don't tell those of us who make you face the ugliness of stereotyping and discrimination head on that we're the ones out of line. Sorry if making you all think about these things make you uncomfortable, perhaps a re-evaluation of the stereotyping is a better way of dealing with it than attacking the person who has the audacity to point it out?
I think the problem is that you don’t know the difference between hiring someone and forming a business partnership. If you reread the post you will notice that there is no salary involved. I am also against discrimination, but it doesn’t apply to this situation.
Old 05-11-2019, 16:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I think the problem is that you don’t know the difference between hiring someone and forming a business partnership. If you reread the post you will notice that there is no salary involved. I am also against discrimination, but it doesn’t apply to this situation.
Great, I seek to form a business partnership. Looking for someone who isn't a women, black, Evangelical, or over 47. No problem right, no longer discriminating because I said the magic words "business partnership"? Seriously, take any excuse in this thread and insert "needs to be Caucasian" as a requirement and they all fall on their face. "I was interviewing a black person and they took a phone call...", "Well it's a business partnership, so no Asians", "it's there boat, they can do whatever they damn well please so no Catholics"....... seriously, are all of you taking the time out of your day to argue strenuously for stereotyping and discrimination (and tell the guy who points that out that he needs to shut up)?
Old 05-11-2019, 16:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Great, I seek to form a business partnership. Looking for someone who isn't a women, black, Evangelical, or over 47. No problem right, no longer discriminating because I said the magic words "business partnership"? Seriously, take any excuse in this thread and insert "needs to be Caucasian" as a requirement and they all fall on their face. "I was interviewing a black person and they took a phone call...", "Well it's a business partnership, so no Asians", "it's there boat, they can do whatever they damn well please so no Catholics"....... seriously, are all of you taking the time out of your day to argue strenuously for stereotyping and discrimination (and tell the guy who points that out that he needs to shut up)?
Yes, they can look for anyone they want, it’s called freedom. In the good old USA.
Old 05-11-2019, 16:13   #28

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Seems to be a lot of internal rage being released in this thread...
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:36   #29

Unfortunately, thread hijack has clearly occurred ... but the good news is Redneckrob keeps us at the top of the ad list.
Old 05-11-2019, 16:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Seems to be a lot of internal rage being released in this thread...
So again personal attack on the person pointing out discrimination and stereotyping, something to be proud of?

Tags
charter