Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2023, 16:47   #16

Re: Crew available for one way to PR

I really just need a capt/skip that’d let me strap my **** to the hull and i’ll work off my debt. No drugs. Happy to unpack and repack in front of any capt/skip/bo. Just need to know ahead if that’s required so i can buy new boxes. It’d take a few hours. There’s a few pieces of 30 yr old delft too. Like i said. **** i can’t let go.
That stuff goes to my kid and she’s not an adult yet
I’d actually love to splice lines vs a capt for a spot
pontonric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 17:10   #17

How do you upload photos to here from your phone? It’s not working
Old 31-05-2023, 17:20   #18

I’m good. You want me on your crew. I don’t have an ego at work. Asking to work for free for, if it’s NYstate, 3 weeks for food and no pay. Ft lauterdale, a week or till if storms. I take orders from all crew because i hold no rank. If i’m good enough i’ll take $100k a year.
I’m afraid of storms too. Wouldn’t be my first one. Wouldn’t be the first time i pissed my pants then figured it out.
Take a risk on me. I will unpack and repack in front of you and pee in a cup. I need some help. You will too eventually
Old 31-05-2023, 17:47   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

So, you have been a sailor in the Army, and can splice 3 strand. You see to miss that those things are not important at all. The most important things are that you never argue, and don't bring any stuff with you.

If you REALLY need this stuff, you will find a way to pay to ship it. But something all sailors (real sailors on sailboats, not on military ships) have in common, is that we all had to give up all of our stuff, and thus know what you really need and really don't. And you really don't.

Not that it matters, as hurricane season in Puerto Rico officially starts tomorrow. No one is sailing there until November. A storage unit for 6 months probably costs as much as shipping it.
Old 31-05-2023, 18:01   #20

It’s a move. It’s stuff i can’t replace. I can live out of a backpack. I completely understand your point.
I would be minimal stuff plus hygene materials normally.
Old 31-05-2023, 18:04   #21

I was a train hopper till i joined the army. I don’t need these things to get by. My family is dead and i don’t know how to contact my kid. It’s literally just irreplaceable things.
Bet i could halve the boxes in a week
Old 31-05-2023, 18:16   #22

Many major airlines have a "Cargo/Freight" Division. This is designed specifically for people like you with more than a few pieces of luggage on up to a pallet. Its cheaper than say, UPS or DHL, and only slightly less expensive than say, the $50 per additional luggage charge as passenger luggage, maybe by 50% less.

These airlines always have spare unused luggage room they can make a few extra dollars by putting your boxes in them. They WOULD go on say, a Mini-Pallet, shrink wrapped and then into a "ULD" Container. Again, check with each Airline for details. Good Luck.
Rich92107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 18:22   #23

I really appreciate the reality check.
Navy does their specific job on a boat. Army is broken down to 2 jobs, well 3 really. Deck, engine, welders.
I will never talk poo on the navy. I’ve had to dock a 80x40 warping tug on my own and i’m pretty sure i could do it again if i had to.
I’m not asking for a free ride.
If i’m on shift i should be cleaning or painting if i have time to talk.
I have no problem taking orders on the ship.
Old 31-05-2023, 18:36   #24

Hey, yes! This is the exact information i could use more practically than crewing. Keep the ideas coming
Old 31-05-2023, 19:15   #25

If i’m on your ship i’ve already trusted you with everything i am. Why wouldn’t i listen to you and your officers ?
Old 31-05-2023, 19:16   #26

Boat: Alajuela 33

Is there any reason you couldn’t mail the twelve boxes separately via USPS?
Mail service to PR is no more expensive than mail service to any other part of the country.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 19:30   #27

No. I’m just moving from knowing movers require minimum $4-5k and i can’t afford that but i can’t afford that but i have skills. Side note: i very much respect station.
Old 31-05-2023, 19:31   #28

Flickertail state capt circa 2008-2009 has good things to say about me in the log.
Old 31-05-2023, 20:03   #29

Boat: Morgan 382

There is honestly not very much work on a trip like this. You would expect to have a shift "on watch" where you sit on deck and basically do nothing except look at the horizon once every 10 minutes. And maybe cook a meal or clean up after a meal, neither of which really takes a lot of time. Your eagerness to help is admirable, but not really useful.

Since you are new here, how big do you think the boats of people that hang out here are? What do you think the crew compliment is? None of us have any officers. Typically, it might be a husband and a wife, with room for one more person to keep a watch so everyone can get a few hours of sleep each night, noting that someone must always be awake. And that is really all you would be there for. That, and good company. That is why not arguing is important. It isn't about orders, it is about not annoying the only other 2 people on the boat. And bringing lots of stuff is annoying.

Rich92107 probably has the best suggestion. Take it to the airport, and get on the same plane as your stuff.

With that said, after you are settled in PR, next season (starting December-ish) look to get on a sailboat in the Carribean. You will already be there, you could probably find a boat in Culebra, and would really enjoy yourself exploring a really beautiful part of the world.
Old 31-05-2023, 20:13   #30

I expected military style rank structure. I’ve never worked a civvy boat outside of merchant marines as an army guy. I can keep my mouth shut. Most people with positive comments recommend shipping my stuff. Now that i’ve talked to people on here i’m interested in getting home, renewing my passport and continuing a few conversations.

Tags
crew, crew available