Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 09:48   #121

Re: Crew Contributions aka $$$

I am horrified by some of the responses here although I am in total agreement with others. I don’t know if the ones that horrify me come from long time cruisers, sailors or old accepted practices within the lifestyle but in the normal business world, or more closely resembling domestic help world, some of the rational exhibited here regarding crew is just mind boggling.

If I need help operating my boat I expect to compensate those helping me. That compensation may be in the form of room and board, stipends or direct pay but they will be compensated. Asking for someone to pay me in order to help run my “household” is not something I can justify in any way. I don’t expect domestic help (the most similar situation I can think of) to come clean, cook, do my laundry, cut my grass and not get paid. Again, that payment might be in the form of room and board, direct money or any combination of renumeration. Bottom line, if you are receiving value from someone that value should be compensated for, not charged for. Anyone looking to make a payment for the “privilege” of working on a boat is worse than a slave.

If you’re in the US, have a boat flagged in the US (even the UK and maybe some other countries) the USCG rules are pretty straight forward. I saw someone post there wasn’t a “right or wrong answer” but I disagree. It’s set forth in all its glory identifying what’s right and wrong. Anyone trying to subterfuge the process, as it’s been suggested, is not anyone who would survive the scrutiny of the USCG and/or some crafty lawyers. I hope they have big bank accounts and quit frankly I would turn in anyone I found out who was purposely defying the laws I’m obeying. Based on some of the responses here it would be worth having the USCG on speed dial.
75Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:47   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Driver View Post
I am horrified by some of the responses here although I am in total agreement with others. I don’t know if the ones that horrify me come from long time cruisers, sailors or old accepted practices within the lifestyle but in the normal business world, or more closely resembling domestic help world, some of the rational exhibited here regarding crew is just mind boggling.

If I need help operating my boat I expect to compensate those helping me. That compensation may be in the form of room and board, stipends or direct pay but they will be compensated. Asking for someone to pay me in order to help run my “household” is not something I can justify in any way. I don’t expect domestic help (the most similar situation I can think of) to come clean, cook, do my laundry, cut my grass and not get paid. Again, that payment might be in the form of room and board, direct money or any combination of renumeration. Bottom line, if you are receiving value from someone that value should be compensated for, not charged for. Anyone looking to make a payment for the “privilege” of working on a boat is worse than a slave.

If you’re in the US, have a boat flagged in the US (even the UK and maybe some other countries) the USCG rules are pretty straight forward. I saw someone post there wasn’t a “right or wrong answer” but I disagree. It’s set forth in all its glory identifying what’s right and wrong. Anyone trying to subterfuge the process, as it’s been suggested, is not anyone who would survive the scrutiny of the USCG and/or some crafty lawyers. I hope they have big bank accounts and quit frankly I would turn in anyone I found out who was purposely defying the laws I’m obeying. Based on some of the responses here it would be worth having the USCG on speed dial.
But but but, you don't understand. People working on my boat will gain experience and that is something they need to pay for. /s

****** note the /s for SARCASM
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:42   #123

Im looking for. Crew to sail with me from galveston to pass christian mississippi on the first week of may.
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:58   #124

Im looking for someone to help me sail my boat from Galveston bay to Gulfport Mississippi, only contribution needed is help me on watch so i can sleep.
Capedory30c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 09:35   #125

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

This is easy to solve.
Hank Schmitt has been operating SailOPO.com for more than 20 years. It’s the most professional crewing network in the US. Check out the website.
Membership cost $150 but for that you get dozens of crew positions on all kinds of yachts each week during delivery season. Owners and delivery slippers post listing for crew free.
Members expect to cover their own transportation to and from the boat. Owner pays all onboard expenses.
Since many of these listings are for offshore deliveries, those wishing I sign on for one will need previous offshore experience.
If you have yet to do a one-week or longer offshore delivery, SailOPO has a couple of Swans heading south and north each year where you can buy a bunk for $3500, plus your transportation to and from the boat. But what you are paying for, in addition to the hands on experience on a great offshore boat, are the lessons learned from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced pro skippers in the business. Each fall, for 21 years, Hank organizes the NARC Rally leaving from Newport with a stop over in Bermuda then in to St. Maarten in the Caribbean. It’s a two week voyages and most of the boats are looking for crew from SailOPO.com
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 10:00   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLyman View Post
This is easy to solve.
Hank Schmitt has been operating XXXXX.com for more than 20 years. It’s the <marketing hype blah blah blah> network in the US. Check out the website.
Membership cost $<not worth the cost> but for that you get dozens of crew positions on all kinds of yachts each week during delivery season. Owners and delivery slippers post listing for crew free.
Members expect to cover their own transportation to and from the boat. Owner pays all onboard expenses.
Since many of these listings are for offshore deliveries, those wishing I sign on for one will need previous offshore experience.
If you have yet to do a one-week or longer offshore delivery, XXXXX has a couple of Swans heading south and north each year where you can buy a bunk for $<too much money>, plus your transportation to and from the boat. But what you are paying for, in addition to the hands on experience on a great offshore boat, are the lessons learned from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced pro skippers in the business. Each fall, for 21 years, Hank organizes the NARC Rally leaving from Newport with a stop over in Bermuda then in to St. Maarten in the Caribbean. It’s a two week voyages and most of the boats are looking for crew from XXXXXX.com

You failed to address this question the last time it was brought up yet you continue to push those sites.

So, let me ask again.

Are you a paid shill or do you have any financial interest in the organization you mention in the vast majority of your posts?

A simple yes or no will do.

If so, that sort of "advertising" IS disingenuous and unethical.
Old 18-06-2021, 11:48   #127

Lol hold up.

There are skippers/owners who put up listings for crew, where the crew pay for transportation to/from the boat AND have to pay for a bunk/the “privilege” of crewing on the boat? Am I reading this correctly?
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:16   #128

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

NaClyDog
I am not on the payroll, although I do help Hank with advise, photos and a few of the videos on his website. I am just trying to be helpful here. I have gotten crew from his website many times for deliveries to and from the Caribbean.
If you please, remove the post and I’ll not respond again.
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 13:01   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLyman View Post
NaClyDog
I am not on the payroll, although I do help Hank with advise, photos and a few of the videos on his website. I am just trying to be helpful here. I have gotten crew from his website many times for deliveries to and from the Caribbean.
If you please, remove the post and I’ll not respond again.
Rightly or wrongly, users cannot remove or edit their own posts.

Moderators can but, should they choose to remove my post(s), I would respectfully request that they also remove all the commercial advertisements.
Old 23-06-2021, 11:41   #130

Here! Here! Well said Indeed!
I could not agree more.
The facts are simple; the purchase, refit and regular upkeep on a seaworthy vessel is a HUGE expense and add to that cost of supplies, food, fuel, sailing permits, and all the other responsibilities of 'The Owner' of the vessel.
Now, like myself, I have a blue water vessel that I have spent a fortune on, refitting everything including the galley sink and have paid strict attention to Health and Safety conditions as well as every modern convenience for any 'crew's I may allow on my ship.
So, IF a person wishes to join me crossing an Ocean or "Island hopping" (which certainly would cost them thousands of dollars as a tourist) Yes! They Will be expected to help "crew the vessel" as well as help defray some of the day to day operational expense of my ship. And No! You are not a simple passenger, you are crew given the opportunity to have experiences of a lifetime at only a mere pentance of what I invested and 90% of your sweat equity pulling your fair share.
And yes, you will be drug tested, that's a fact. There USCG still confiscates vessels for drugs even pot.
So, if those rules do not appeal to anyone, the road leading to the dock runs both ways.
Gadfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 12:16   #131
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfortune View Post
Here! Here! Well said Indeed!

I could not agree more.

The facts are simple; the purchase, refit and regular upkeep on a seaworthy vessel is a HUGE expense and add to that cost of supplies, food, fuel, sailing permits, and all the other responsibilities of 'The Owner' of the vessel.

Now, like myself, I have a blue water vessel that I have spent a fortune on, refitting everything including the galley sink and have paid strict attention to Health and Safety conditions as well as every modern convenience for any 'crew's I may allow on my ship.

So, IF a person wishes to join me crossing an Ocean or "Island hopping" (which certainly would cost them thousands of dollars as a tourist) Yes! They Will be expected to help "crew the vessel" as well as help defray some of the day to day operational expense of my ship. And No! You are not a simple passenger, you are crew given the opportunity to have experiences of a lifetime at only a mere pentance of what I invested and 90% of your sweat equity pulling your fair share.

And yes, you will be drug tested, that's a fact. There USCG still confiscates vessels for drugs even pot.

So, if those rules do not appeal to anyone, the road leading to the dock runs both ways.

I see them queuing for miles.

I do love people justifying how others should finance their hobby
Old 23-06-2021, 12:49   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I see them queuing for miles.

I do love people justifying how others should finance their hobby
Lol right? These guys are legends in their own minds...

“How lucky you are to be in the mere presence of my sailing greatness...”

That said, the morons who actually fork over the money are part of the problem. This was actually a thing in aviation for a while. The industry got so bad that shitty regional and cargo outfits were charging pilots with wet-ink commercial ratings to fly as first officers. Not only were they not paying them, they were selling the hours in time blocks. You would PAY to go fly right seat for a small airline. It was spun as paying for airline-level training and high quality flight hours. Laughable.

You can blame the airlines who did this, but the guys who actually forked over the cash were equally at fault.

Fortunately that went away, never to be seen again.

It’s one thing if someone is begging to come on the trip with you, and you reluctantly agree. Then splitting the cost of consumables and such is fine. But charging when YOU need crew? When YOU need help? GFY.
Old 23-06-2021, 13:04   #133

Not looking for "Lines" of people, only a few exceptional people. And of course never in the market for 'Free Loaders" looking for a Free ride.
Not happening.
If you crew on my vessel, you will not be a drug addict, you will not be a slob, you will not be a hazard to the vessel or crew. A lack of experience will never be looked down upon, but being dishonest will get you deboarded.
I will teach the knowledge, I will provide a safe, stable seaworthy vessel, I will Not teach people to be reasonable, sane, honest human beings- that was your MoMA's job.
Gadfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 14:02   #134

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

There are a number of well-known sailors (you may have books by some of them on your shelves) who regularly get as much as $5,000 a week per berth from presumably wealthy people who want to go sailing with them.

These usually are adventuresome trips that the paying crew would never make on their own, but want the experience. There are also newbie cruisers who want to see how it's done before they try it themselves.

The paying crew stand watches, handle sails, help cook and learn what it's like to do open-ocean sailing without risking their lives due to their inexperience.

Are they being cheated? Well, I used to know one of sailors who does this for a living, and he has berths booked out one to two years in advance, with many repeat crew members.

So the crew members must think they're getting good value for their money. Mostly, from what I understand, they love the experience. And it is, after all, their choice, not yours.

No, I won't single anyone out here because they don't deserve the abuse that would surely come their way.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 14:13   #135

That’s one thing. If you are legitimately a well-known subject matter expert in the sailing community, sure. A Tom Brady or Usain Bolt of the sailing world? Saying you trained with them carries with it some serious street cred.

But some Captain Ron with a boat? Gtfoh.

Tags
crew, rib