Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 14:11   #16

Boat: Coast 30
Re: Crew Wanted Port Townsend to San Francisco

The potential for sailing in company always seems to be a good idea? safety in numbers and all that ? Is anyone else joining the fleet?

In my estimation it all depends on the question.. Is the intent to move the vessel to San Fransisco

*by the safest method possible. (by road subject to traffic accident risk)

*the cheapest method possible. (by sea hoping for a safe voyage...not having to abandon and be rescued at sea)

*or to have an exciting adventure? (making overcoming the challenges worth any risk?)
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:18   #17

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Having done the trip, also after the W.B. fest, i did a rhum line coarse from Nea bay to S.F., the condition,s varied, from dead calm, starting to large following seas and some fog off Wa., the following seas were high enough to blanket the wind vane, which caused us to ship water into the cockpit, because we became beam too, after two rounds of this, we went to the auto pilot [compass coarse] which kept us on coarse, great sail.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:27   #18

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter

Patrick Brooks, Not sure what day I will be at the Festival. As you well know, the weather is my primary concern. It may turn out that I have to miss the Festival entirely but I hope not. I have attended for the last 10 years, and had Beckon in the Festival 2015, and 2016. I will look you up when I get there.
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:33   #19

Dougtiff, Interesting you should mention the experience you had with the wind vane.

I installed a tiller pilot made by Pelagic Auto Pilots which has in addition to following a set direction the ability to compensate for pitch, roll, yaw which hopefullly will enhance sailing in less than ideal conditions.
Old 31-08-2018, 18:56   #20

For safety in numbers you might see if you can tag along with the Baja HaHa group. They usually leave from the north about this time on the way to Baja for the winter. Here is the web site they are rendezvous in San Diego on October 20th.

Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Important Dates
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:28   #21

I was hoping to have done that, but the 2 boats I know from my area left a couple of weeks ago. I may see if I can find any information about others that haven't left the pnw yet.

My plan is to sail with the HaHa down to Mexico because of the safety in numbers you mention. There are few people I know who will be leaving San Francisco for Southern California that I plan to accompany, which will be great.

The focus of the journey is a safe passage to San Francisco.

Richard
Old 01-09-2018, 14:32   #22

Boat: Nor'Sea 27

Hi Richard,
I am interested in being part of your crew. Please pm me with contact info and we can discuss it.
Thanks,
Dwight
1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 15:24   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I've done the Washington portion of the trip 20 times or so. It is all about weather....

As long as you have fair weather and NW winds (at least on the Washingtion portion) You should be fine anywhere from just off shore to as far out as you like.

I've seen everything from calm seas with just a ripple of wave to 18' seas. With a long period 12' seas are not a challenge when going your way. The long period.

If the weather is good you might consider using Hole in The Wall to get from the straights to the ocean.

There is a rock in the middle of the pass so stay 3/4th the way on the Tatoosh Island side.

You makes your choices and takes your chances.

Of course you may know of this already ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole-in-the-wall.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	176682  
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbeck View Post
I've had a number of friends who have done this trip and the best weather route seems to be a toss up between a coastal route and one 60 to 100 miles out. Two weeks ago friends made a run to San Francisco and had favorable weather 100 miles offshore.

....."
Did you look at the GRIBs and weather buoys to see what the weather closer in was while your friends were 100 miles offshore? I suspect it was just as good close in. Closer in you have many choices, with care, to break up the trip. And if you get caught in really light airs 100 miles offshore you better have a lot of fuel onboard. You might think you'll just tough it out and sail at 2 kts but it is really hard to keep the little wind in your sails while there's a 10 ft ground swell slopping you around.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:02   #25

Paul L, I actually did look to see how much different the weather was. The friends offshore were getting a lot of wind in the 25 knot vicinity. For them in a 40' boat it was ideal.

By contrast shore to 10 miles out and 10 to 60 miles out was very similar to each other with wind in the 15 knot vicinity. For me the 15 knots would have been perfect. There were some large swells further out but I haven't seen any buoys that include a swell period. Maybe there are some that I am not aware of. The more I watch the weather, the more I favor being within a few hours of shore.

I have a weather routing program that I will be getting weather updates on 6 hours intervals which should prove helpful.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:51   #26

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I've done the Washington portion of the trip 20 times or so. It is all about weather....

As long as you have fair weather and NW winds (at least on the Washingtion portion) You should be fine anywhere from just off shore to as far out as you like.

I've seen everything from calm seas with just a ripple of wave to 18' seas. With a long period 12' seas are not a challenge when going your way. The long period.

If the weather is good you might consider using Hole in The Wall to get from the straights to the ocean.

There is a rock in the middle of the pass so stay 3/4th the way on the Tatoosh Island side.

You makes your choices and takes your chances.

Of course you may know of this already ....
Can you tell me if the chart depths are in feet or fathoms? We draw 10 feet...
Old 02-09-2018, 12:09   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Can you tell me if the chart depths are in feet or fathoms? We draw 10 feet...
They are in feet.

The locals us this all the time. But you should make your own evaluation.

With a 6' draft I never worry....
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew wanted, san francisco, wanted