Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2022, 15:32   #31

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Crew wanted to sail the Northwest Passage

It's a long, long way between gas stations.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 16:12   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
Aft cabin sailboat not my first choice , sailboat not my first choice , single Ford Lehman ?? not my first choice , don’t mean to be rude it’s just not my first choice, Fiberglass, Fuel capacity , water maker , I could go on and on
BT, I'm sure that you could indeed go on and on, but why do any of us care about your choices, first or not? I surely don't...

Folks have made this passage in far less appropriate vessels; I guess you think they should not have gone. They might disagree.

Jim
Old 13-11-2022, 18:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
BT, I'm sure that you could indeed go on and on, but why do any of us care about your choices, first or not? I surely don't...

Folks have made this passage in far less appropriate vessels; I guess you think they should not have gone. They might disagree.

Jim
Maybe you could show us all the boats that have actually gone , the information that I have only 98 or so sailboat have made the trip In the last 120 years , anyways I was expressing my opinion , as a moderator you don’t like people expressing their opinion unless it agrees with you, I don’t think that boat should do the northwest passage that’s my opinion and a lot of other people‘s opinions , if you don’t agree with me that’s fine , However if you get in trouble on this trip help can be days away if at all
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 19:11   #34

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

As much as you would like to ignore it, an Internet forum like CF is not designed to be a way for people to express their inner feelings about other people's business. It is one of the natural outgrowths of human behavior that this phenomenon exists. But that doesn't mean it makes you look smart, or wise, or helpful. Yes, it is your right to opine when someone asks for crew to say that you think they are dumb and foolish. But is it the right thing to do? For you? For the people you think (in your imagination) that you are trying to help? Big sigh. I try to just click the next thread when I see stuff like this, but for you to claim that it is not the moderators right to, you know, actually moderate, is absurd. Your comments were off-topic. Period. Yes, it is your right to make them, but it is equally the right of the moderator to tell people when they are off topic.

Note also that people will be more receptive to your advice if you give it when asked. People who offer criticism when it is not asked for quickly end up being ignored. Maybe you don't care about that, but if you don't, then please proceed. (How's that for unsolicited advice? I have lot's more if you want, but I will wait for you to ask for it).

Why do I bother? I don't know, boredom?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 20:07   #35

Boat: Volkscruiser

Jim I think this boat below is one of the boats you are thinking about. Then how abut at the other end of the world in Antarctic and the adventures David Mercy with that tiny fiberglass yacht Berserk got up to.
SkipPeters no harm in trying. I survey so many unsuitable boats (that's open for conjecture) that have done great voyages.

Cheers

https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...laden%20seaway.
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 20:21   #36

This isn’t about me , I don’t care if people agree with me in the least I was seeing a situation that I thought “ I’ll try to be nice” sketchy at best , I thought I’d point it out , what people do I could care less , I own boat that is specifically designed to do a trip like this ,I know exactly what it takes but that doesn’t matter either ,He is trying to Recruit people for a trip through the northwest passage I thought I would point out to those people what to look out for kind of important ,I think they should be asking for his résumé ,You need a permit to do this trip
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 20:56   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Arrow Re: Crew wanted to sail the Northwest Passage

[QUOTE=Fore and Aft;3705858]Jim I think this boat below is one of the boats you are thinking about. Then how abut at the other end of the world in Antarctic and the adventures David Mercy with that tiny fiberglass yacht Berserk got up to.
SkipPeters no harm in trying. I survey so many unsuitable boats (that's open for conjecture) that have done great voyages.

Cheers

IIRC the NWP has been done in various FRP production boats, including a beach cat. Our friend Susanne Curphy did it in a 39 foot alloy boat... as a female middle aged single hander. It has been done in a FP catamaran and in timber sailboats. The NautiCat seems to be a reasonable choice for the trip compared to many of the successful yachts from the past.

And Baby T, if you had explained why things were "not your first choice" rather than simply sneering at the OP's choice I wouldn't have reacted as I did. Constructive criticism is a big benefit of CF posting, parade-raining isn't.

Finally, my post had nothing to do with my being a moderator... I'm a contributing member first and a moderator second unless noted otherwise.

Jim
Old 13-11-2022, 22:45   #38

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Some friends of mine have done this - in a straight production Jeanneau from the 90's.

I'm not 100% sure b ut I believe they were the first fiberglass boat to go through. They've said it is a long engine journey - no wind and definitely cold.
Is it worth doing? For them it was.
Would we do it? No, weeks of sailing on the engine dodging ice floes is not something we would look forward to. We've dodged enough ice floes and don*t need more

But for those that want to - go for it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 19:53   #39

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipPeters View Post
Sailing to the Northwest Passage aboard a beautifully maintained Nauticat 43 (Sparkman & Stephens design). Departing about May 10th, 2023, with arrival in Boston about October 15, 2023.
Hi, where are you departing from? I am keen. I've helped with two deliveries Juneau to Piers Island BC, in addition to crewing on other deliveries, and have 20000+ offshore miles, mainly Pacific.
Sonsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 22:03   #40

Boat: Morgan 382

This is tempting. I completed my circumnavigation in June, and went right back to work. While i need the money having spent it all sailing, quiting my job for this challenge might be worth it.
Old 18-11-2022, 01:32   #41

Hour long video on an aluminum sailboat making the NW Pasaage from other direction. Well produced video. Looks like an interesting trip indeed.....

https://youtu.be/APUP23_uKck
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 02:52   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Crew wanted to sail the Northwest Passage

North west is simple north east now That’s hard!! Also done in an self build aluminium yacht, I knew Jarlath Cunnane and paddy Barry the two rock star sailors that did that epic trip

They actually did both passages

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668769569.886704.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	267654
Old 18-11-2022, 03:21   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I just did the NWP E to W this summer in a fiberglass sailboat.
Those interested in doing the trip might find my blog of interest:
Cruising with the Zartman Family - A Small Boat, A Growing Family, A Big Dream
You have to scroll back a long way to get them chronologically: the last one appears first.
To the OP: Best of luck. It's a trip unlike any other. I hope you find the right crew.
Old 18-11-2022, 16:30   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Some friends of mine have done this - in a straight production Jeanneau from the 90's.

Yikes. Sailing in an eggshell
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 18:56   #45

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
This is tempting. I completed my circumnavigation in June, and went right back to work. While i need the money having spent it all sailing, quiting my job for this challenge might be worth it.
Yeah!!
Sonsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew wanted, passage, sail, wanted