Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 22:01   #136

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68
Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Wotname, I humbly accept your admonishment and hope that forgiveness will be forthcoming. Yes I did mean SalingSue and can assure that no disrespect to him/her was intended.
Ohhh Uncle, you're on shaky ground in these modern times. Noting the kind intent behind your humble request, but surely you meant no disrespect, not to him/her, but to "the respected being" as MFLGBTTTQQIAA. All folk can be "salors".

Saling Sue, did you misspell Sailing?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 22:30   #137
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
Ohhh Uncle, you're on shaky ground in these modern times. Noting the kind intent behind your humble request, but surely you meant no disrespect, not to him/her, but to "the respected being" as MFLGBTTTQQIAA. All folk can be "salors".

Saling Sue, did you misspell Sailing?
The real question is whether 'Sue' identifies as a 'sailor' or as a 'salor' ?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 22:34   #138
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Wotname, I humbly accept your admonishment and hope that forgiveness will be forthcoming. Yes I did mean SalingSue and can assure that no disrespect to him/her was intended.
You made a honest mistake Uncle Bob and will be forgiven - but I dunno about the others...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 22:41   #139

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Thunderdome!
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 02:00   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
But either way indicates a sheltered life
No, I just know the difference between fantasy and real life. Plenty of things seem hot/interesting/exciting to people as a fantasy that would not be appealing at all in reality.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:20   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Thank you all so much!! HIN Number has been found. Boat seems legitimate. When I get to know the owner better I will have a chat about this with him so he can avoid things he may not want to deal with. No worries if you were the guy who thought I was online asking him questions. Now you know this too. The numbers can all be found online. I just couldn't find them on the boat cause I've never been on this type of boat. If you converse long enough with someone and read into things enough, you usually end up on the same page.

We all can learn something from each other. Again, thank you all for your help and input. And, as always, happy sails!
So Shawna, the Original Poster, has established that somehow she now feels comfortable with the owner/skipper, who at the beginning of this thread seemed paranoid, dodgy or just plain stupid.

This is one of those times where it seems that the OP already had decided to go with this unknown owner no matter what the Forum's response was...

We can, indeed, all learn something from each other.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:36   #142

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmariner View Post
Nope, nope, nope. No need to put yourself in a potentially dicey situation. Other opportunities will present themselves.
I'd also have to give a hard pass on ever crewing for SailingSue. Her reasoning for ignoring all those red flags is sketchy as hell [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
You're assuming that "SalingSue" is a female. Moderator stated that "SalingSue"'s profile states "MALE" . . .

Time for a little "Truth in Advertising here" . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:33   #143

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The real question is whether 'Sue' identifies as a 'sailor' or as a 'salor' ?

‘Sue’? [emoji15]
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:53   #144

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Regarding "Sailing Sue".

Guess that the probably male owner of a sailboat called Sue :-) is posting. Hence the more "male" viewpoints.
Old 17-10-2020, 13:45   #145

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Regarding "Sailing Sue".

Guess that the probably male owner of a sailboat called Sue :-) is posting. Hence the more "male" viewpoints.
Maybe he's a Johny Cash fan or missing a piece of his ear or something..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 15:01   #146

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

The ability for any individual to identify a sociopathic rapist/murderer after a couple meetings would indeed be a gift.

Sure heading offshore with a stranger is spinning the wheel with a infinitesimally low probability of getting physically harmed or murdered. It is more probable that personality differences, that tend to be magnified at sea, in close quarters, or in an expedition environment, will cumulate in a seemingly overlong passage.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 23:32   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
It is more probable that personality differences, that tend to be magnified at sea, in close quarters, or in an expedition environment, will cumulate in a seemingly overlong passage.
This exactly. I don’t have boating experience in this regard but I do have live-in caregiver experience (as in severe disability, care givers living in 24/7) and from that I’d take many of the issues people have raised as an indication that you’ll drive each other nuts, especially in high stress situations like bad weather or when everyone is short on sleep, quite without anyone starting out the adventure with ill intent. You don’t need to be BFFs but you need to be able to communicate with each other without anyone easily taking offense and without getting on each other’s nerves.

Some issues it is possible to overcome, like it is possible to learn to communicate better with effort and time, but often people aren’t planning on sailing together long enough to put in the effort.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 10:47   #148

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJPMcGuire View Post
As God said to Noah when he doubted the building of an ark --"How long can you tread water?"

Don't Go!
Possibly relevant to this thread: that punch line was written by a guy who convinced the world he was a lovable goof-ball, and America’s dad, and turned out to be a creep.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 12:41   #149

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielI View Post
Possibly relevant to this thread: that punch line was written by a guy who convinced the world he was a lovable goof-ball, and America’s dad, and turned out to be a creep.
Interesting observation, and definitely relevant to the thread!

Jim
Old 19-10-2020, 00:59   #150

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43

It is important to know your crew and your captain. Make a written agreement with passport numbers, etc. (need to sight the originals), with clear descriptions of responsibilities, pay (if any) etc. who is responsible for entry fees in foreign ports, food, expenses...

Having said that, I knew one captain who took a female crew for ocean passage and then could not get rid of her when cruising tropical islands. Once he finally did, she posted allover social media and sailing forums about him, how bad and ungrateful, and arrogant etc.

I guess can happen to anyone. I think he was lucky it did not end worse.
Sailboatuser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch