Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 01:18   #151

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43
pirate Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Not having AIS, that would however be very valid reason to scrub the trip.

I would also question the judgement of someone going offshore without such a simple and effective safety device.

Ha, AIS is a bit overrated you know, can't be relied upon at sea. One problem is many people don't have it, other don't turn it on for various reasons, some (usually in poorer parts of the world might have no money to repair their broken one).

When you go close to some Caribbean countries, or some places on Pacific coast near Panama, etc. you will probably think twice before transmitting your own information anyway. But what do I know...
Sailboatuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 13:19   #152

Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

As a retired lawyer, this is an easy one. Run away-NOW. There is no way anyone is getting a "boat loan" with only a registration number. Any lender using the boat as collateral for the loan needs to put a lien on the boat Title. Run away.
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 13:55   #153

Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 13:57   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggerknot View Post
All fun and games until it's not fun and games LOL...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carl-panzram-mugshot.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	226274  
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 17:13   #155

Boat: challenger 32,

"posing as female" if your passport says female and you pass...ok otherwide you are just plumb STUPID to try it
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 13:15   #156

Only one point in all of this that needs heeding(other than gut feelings) is to carry a personal epirb thing.

SPOT was mentioned, and I know there's a few others that do the same. Send a message automatically or manually as programmed.

And the skipper need not know you have it or have it operating.

The lady I know had the SPOT broadcast every night. She was on land(central Australia, off road. Look up Birdsville track) doing a bucket list trip on her own in a 4wd.

I've since spoken to others on boats using SPOT and similar, and they swear by them. Very little money really, for the security they offer. Just make sure you have it on your person at all times. Fall overboard, and you'll be found in a couple of hours of triggering the device, if needed.
Elleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 14:42   #157

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleroo View Post
Only one point in all of this that needs heeding(other than gut feelings) is to carry a personal epirb thing.

SPOT was mentioned, and I know there's a few others that do the same. Send a message automatically or manually as programmed.

And the skipper need not know you have it or have it operating.

The lady I know had the SPOT broadcast every night. She was on land(central Australia, off road. Look up Birdsville track) doing a bucket list trip on her own in a 4wd.

I've since spoken to others on boats using SPOT and similar, and they swear by them. Very little money really, for the security they offer. Just make sure you have it on your person at all times. Fall overboard, and you'll be found in a couple of hours of triggering the device, if needed.
The value of the personal EPIRB (in the context of this conversation) is in the deterrence. A dedicated criminal skipper can find work-arounds for that.

If the potential criminal skipper does not know of the Epirb, it's not going to prevent the incident. Will the victim get satisfaction knowing the criminal skipper has greater chance of getting caught?

It's worth having IMO, but it's far from the whole answer to these concerns.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 20:28   #158

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Hi everyone!!
Haven't been on the site in a while. I have had a few crewing experiences and hope to keep them going. I've had to pass a couple up because of not feeling comfortable with the amount of information available that could be used to track me down in an emergency situation.
I've been told to give your family ashore the registration number and name of the vessel as well as the boat owners name, and any other info available.
My question to all in the know is:
Is it a red flag if they don't want to give your family their boats registration number?
I had a boat owner tell me someone could take a loan out against his boat and screw up his credit, but to my understanding, proof of ownership would be needed for that. Should I try to convince him of this or just quietly take my leave? Most had no problem surrendering their number. I haven't yet taken a trip with someone who refuses. Is there any legitimacy to this boat owners claim? Your input is greatly appreciated!!
A lot of boats are registered in other countries, to companies etc. In my experience I havenīt heard of much abuse of Captains to female crews. I know of disappointed Captains, letting her go in the next port, because they thought it was a "all inclusive trip", but abuse? Havenīt heard of it.

I have as consequence of my age tried to find crew (male and female) during the last 2 years and returned to further equipp my boat as singlehand. Vegan food, neurotic behave, asking for "around the globe Internet" etc. has lowered my hopes in further generations of "sane humans"...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 20:54   #159

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinvega27 View Post
A lot of boats are registered in other countries, to companies etc. In my experience I havenīt heard of much abuse of Captains to female crews. I know of disappointed Captains, letting her go in the next port, because they thought it was a "all inclusive trip", but abuse? Havenīt heard of it.

I have as consequence of my age tried to find crew (male and female) during the last 2 years and returned to further equipp my boat as singlehand. Vegan food, neurotic behave, asking for "around the globe Internet" etc. has lowered my hopes in further generations of "sane humans"...

I think it was Socrates who expressed concern about the capabilities of the younger generation. Science has fairly recently shown that full maturity for the average human is not obtained until about age 35.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 21:04   #160

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I think it was Socrates who expressed concern about the capabilities of the younger generation. Science has fairly recently shown that full maturity for the average human is not obtained until about age 35.

Damn that science, ask any eighteen year old, they will tell you that they know everything.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 23:04   #161

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Lifestyle issues of one sort or another can be a very real factor. The crew on a forthcoming delivery includes one fellow who sort of keeps kosher, someone with an allergy to legumes, and another with a deep aversion to olives. In the aggregate this has had a significant impact on what I usually cook. I've run full vegetarian boats. Halal. All kinds of allergies.

In my experience, food is a bigger issue than gender. I try to be sensitive to concerns women might have. Interestingly while I offer female crew candidates contact information for women who have crewed for me not a single one has followed up. Women have expressed the same concerns as men: safety equipment, my credentials, condition of the boat, schedule, ... frankly this increases my hope for human sanity and indeed for a gender/racial/ethnic-blind society.

Perhaps it helps that I am not a particularly low profile person. Google pops up all kinds of things about me. It doesn't take much to determine that I am eccentric but not dangerous. *grin*

To the subject of documentation numbers those are a matter of public record, at least in the US. Hiding one is like trying to hide the license plate on a car. It's just silly. Unless a boat is homemade or very very old the HIN is impressed on the hull from which you can find the documentation (or state registration) number, owner name, usually an address. It doesn't take much work to get a MMSI and a call sign if one exists. I recently tracked down a boat owner when a broker was being a butthead (that story for another thread). It took less than 10 minutes to have name, address, phone numbers, spouse's name, and an aerial view of the house and cars.

In my opinion, if you think you need all kinds of technology (SPOT, InReach) to be safe you shouldn't be on that boat. That's different from wanting to share your adventure with family and friends.

Clearly there is a difference between crewing on a delivery for days or weeks and going cruising for what could well be many months. You can deal with a personality conflict for a few days. A month is harder. You can expect more in terms of organization from a delivery skipper than from a cruiser. On the other hand a cruiser is likely to be more flexible. A delivery skipper may teach you more. You may experience more with a cruiser.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 00:34   #162

Boat: X442

Quote:

Vegan = Insane? That's a new one
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 00:59   #163

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
Vegan = Insane? That's a new one
I think it's not what he meant but people with multiple request. To fullfill one request is usually reasonable but having a long list of them is not realistic..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 01:05   #164

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I think it's not what he meant but people with multiple request. To fullfill one request is usually reasonable but having a long list of them is not realistic..
OK point taken, comments often get taken out of context online, as I might have done. Thanks for pointing this out.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 04:56   #165

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Online you say "blue" and others read "heīs drunk". One says "drink Corona", the other One understands Pandemic. One says Conservative, the other one sees "enemy of whoever"

This is why the Internet ist the place of the Quirckies and I go from the point, none here is a sailor, untill I hit his boat somewhere...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch