Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 05:10   #166
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinvega27 View Post
Online you say "blue" and others read "he´s drunk". One says "drink Corona", the other One understands Pandemic. One says Conservative, the other one sees "enemy of whoever"

This is why the Internet ist the place of the Quirckies and I go from the point, none here is a sailor, untill I hit his boat somewhere...
So that's me giving Albin Vegas a Very Wide Berth from now on..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 05:22   #167

Boat: Boat
Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Hi everyone!!
My question to all in the know is:
Is it a red flag if they don't want to give your family their boats registration number?
I had a boat owner tell me someone could take a loan out against his boat and screw up his credit, but to my understanding, proof of ownership would be needed for that. Should I try to convince him of this or just quietly take my leave? Most had no problem surrendering their number. I haven't yet taken a trip with someone who refuses. Is there any legitimacy to this boat owners claim? Your input is greatly appreciated!!
Since this is public information that is easily verifiable online for US registered boats, I would think his reluctance is proof of something sketchy and walk.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 07:53   #168

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

I've always had crew for any ocean sailing, beyond family or friends. If I do want additional crew they must satisfy MY needs as owner and skipper of the boat. I use a tried and true formula for assessing crew:

Credibility + Reliability + intimacy
---------------------------------------- = TRUST
Self orientation

Cred: saying what you and feel, Relibabilty: always doing what's expected
intimacy: closeness, safety , security

self orientation: acting on your own interests rather than others' needs.

Going to sea is serious business. I wouldn't hire a bus driver who hadn't driven a bus.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 08:08   #169

I jumped to the end, apologies.

You cannot take a loan out with a registration number. You cannot take a loan out with a HIN. Both are publicly available on any boat. You can only take a loan against an asset with a title or USCG documentation (in the US).

Either the vessel owner is an idiot, or he's sketchy. Either way, who would want to go to sea in confined spaces for lengths of time with either.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 19:53   #170

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have read most of the posts. 1 hour I'll never get back. To address the OP's concerns...There is a mechanism in all of us, I like to call a "**** detector". If the Capt of a vessel starts getting paranoid or sketchie, he probably belongs to the "Creepy Captains Club". Judging from some of the responses here, there are a few more members of that club on this thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:41   #171

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have read most of the posts. 1 hour I'll never get back. To address the OP's concerns...There is a mechanism in all of us, I like to call a "**** detector". .

In the case involving the OP, as we all discuss it here there really was no good reason for him to deny potential crew information about his boat, but if he hadn’t anticipated the request to see his paperwork I can also understand why he might initially wonder if he had a potential “creepy crew member” on his hands trying to pry into his personal stuff before they even got to know each other so quickly just made up a BS excuse to not divulge the information without taking the time to realize that there’s no real downside to divulging the requested info.

I’ve done quite a few deliveries both as crew snd skipper of my own boat with crew aboard and have never asked or been asked to see any of the ships papers so I can understand why a skipper might be a bit surprised by such a request and their initial reaction might be to say no. Does that mean Im qualified for membership into the Creepy Captains Club and should expect to get my official CCC with scrambled eggs embroidered baseball cap in the mail this week?
[emoji6]
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:05   #172
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

this can go two ways....if I was the skipper, I'd be asking her about her sailing credentials, skills, knowledge, goals, etc...been down this road before.....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:30   #173

Boat: Beneteau 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Lifestyle issues of one sort or another can be a very real factor.

In my experience, food is a bigger issue than gender.
Agree. Once had a friend who was interviewing for a corporate pilot job. He told me he was surprised they wanted to meet him over lunch, not at the office/hangar. My response was, his credentials were fine, his potential crew mates wanted to find out if he had quirks that would make them want to jettison him at altitude.
Same goes for boats.
scfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:08   #174

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

A consideration in picking up strange crew that doesn't seem to get mentioned goes under the heading of admissibility to the destination country.

Imagine a two week cruising passage within Europe only to find out your crew will not be admitted to the destination country because they had been deported in the past. Customs may tell you to immediately return to your port of departure.

Luckily we headed that one off via some key questions to the crew member. He had seemed very anxious to get passage.

We also showed up in Canada at midnight on a wet and foggy night only to find out they were not going to let us land because of a crew member. We were told to head back to the US. Fortunately, after some negotiation all was resolved.

Anyway, all this falls under "lessons learned."
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:26   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
In the case involving the OP, as we all discuss it here there really was no good reason for him to deny potential crew information about his boat, but if he hadn’t anticipated the request to see his paperwork I can also understand why he might initially wonder if he had a potential “creepy crew member” on his hands trying to pry into his personal stuff before they even got to know each other so quickly just made up a BS excuse to not divulge the information without taking the time to realize that there’s no real downside to divulging the requested info.

I’ve done quite a few deliveries both as crew snd skipper of my own boat with crew aboard and have never asked or been asked to see any of the ships papers so I can understand why a skipper might be a bit surprised by such a request and their initial reaction might be to say no. Does that mean Im qualified for membership into the Creepy Captains Club and should expect to get my official CCC with scrambled eggs embroidered baseball cap in the mail this week?
[emoji6]

Ha ha...I really enjoyed your response. You make some good points. Being the "Human condition", we all have different responses when asked a question we're not ready for. Like if someone asked for my Social Security number.

Regarding the "Creepy Crew Club", I almost spit my coffee onto the laptop here. Now there's a thread that would get hundreds of replies. I have a few winners.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-01-2021, 10:01   #176

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Regarding the "Creepy Crew Club", I almost spit my coffee onto the laptop here. Now there's a thread that would get hundreds of replies. I have a few winners.
Me! Me! Me! I have stories!
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:03   #177
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Had a Canadian crew member join me at Vanuatu.. he was recruited by the owners wife short notice as the run down from Samoa had freaked out the owner and he jumped of for a hotel and first flight home as soon as we picked up the Quarantine mooring.
Anyway this allegedly experienced crew had spent three weeks as cook on a shark fishing boat in Oz.. that was it. When we arrived in Darwin after a non stop run I then found out he'd been deported a couple of years earlier for over staying by 12yrs, seems he had gone bush and was living with the aborigines.
After the customary 6hr search and confiscation of food we had to trek into town to the immingration office with our passports etc.. myself and the young Aussie from Tassie who had also flown out to join the boat in Vanuatu were done in no time but the Canuk was in there for over an hour.
As we walked back I asked what the problem was and if it would affect the trip as we still had to go over the top and down to Perth.. he seemed evasive but insisted it would not affect us sailing in a couple of days time.
Woke next morning to find he'd packed his gear and done a runner into the bush.. around lunchtime some officials turned up to find out why he'd not showed for his appointment.
That's when I learnt they'd held his passport and were arranging to deport him again.
Luckily they did not hold me responsible and I was cleared to sail on after a week which we spent at anchor outside the marina.
I am wary of other people choosing my crew.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:07   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I am wary of other people choosing my crew.
Agreed. I get a lot of pre-packs - owners, previous owners, junior brokers, all kinds of people. I always get the last call on who is on board when we drop lines. I'm happy to take on less experienced people but they are students, not crew. I take three watchstanders. Extras are open to discussion based on the boat.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:08   #179

Please don't make me tell my 2 CCC stories!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:09   #180

Quote:
Please don't make me tell my 2 CCC stories!
Two? TWO? You only have TWO?

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch