Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 09:12   #226

Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
[...]I think that there are plenty of women who genuinely want to become useful crew members and are willing to learn what that takes.
I absolutely agree with you on this, however on one hand those are in competition of the deck-decoration and skippers need to weed them out more. On the other had, the female sailors encounter wherever they go the assumption they're deck decoration and the presumption they'll hop into the skipper's bunk. As this thread illustrates, that's no fun either.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 13:53   #227

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Men's colleges were sued. Women's colleges were not.
This is not even close to the truth. I was there, at an elite, Ivy League college (Dartmouth) when they decided to admit women (1971 IIRC). It was our decision, based on votes of the faculty, student body, and alumni (and finally the Board of Trustees) - lawsuits had nothing to do with it. Most elite schools are private schools and as such are free to act as they will. The few lawsuits relating to admitting women were from alumni that didn't want to see things changed (and I don't recall any at my alma mater although there certainly was pushback from a large segment of the alumni). The elite women's colleges experienced the same winds of change but many felt that their students benefited by the all-women nature of the schools, as proven by studies over the years, and decided to continue their mission.

Personally I felt that the all-male environment was unhealthy and voted for admission of women. I was disappointed in the battle royal that occurred when traditionalists misbehaved towards women in the early years but it seems that is finally history, or at least I hope so. I did not, and do not, feel the same way about all-women's colleges. I think they have been a great asset for developing women's potential. As I said before, someday gender may not matter but that time is not here yet.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 14:40   #228

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
This is not even close to the truth. I was there, at an elite, Ivy League college (Dartmouth) when they decided to admit women (1971 IIRC). It was our decision, based on votes of the faculty, student body, and alumni (and finally the Board of Trustees) - lawsuits had nothing to do with it. Most elite schools are private schools and as such are free to act as they will. The few lawsuits relating to admitting women were from alumni that didn't want to see things changed (and I don't recall any at my alma mater although there certainly was pushback from a large segment of the alumni). The elite women's colleges experienced the same winds of change but many felt that their students benefited by the all-women nature of the schools, as proven by studies over the years, and decided to continue their mission.

Personally I felt that the all-male environment was unhealthy and voted for admission of women. I was disappointed in the battle royal that occurred when traditionalists misbehaved towards women in the early years but it seems that is finally history, or at least I hope so. I did not, and do not, feel the same way about all-women's colleges. I think they have been a great asset for developing women's potential. As I said before, someday gender may not matter but that time is not here yet.

Greg
And some schools went the other way. An old high school friend of mine was among the first few guys admitted the first year to Colby-Sawyer, an all girls school that isn’t very far from Dartmouth.

It was a LOT of fun going to visit. Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 16:02   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
And some schools went the other way. An old high school friend of mine was among the first few guys admitted the first year to Colby-Sawyer, an all girls school that isn’t very far from Dartmouth.
Before then it was called Colby Junior College, known as a place Dartmouth alums sent their daughters to meet Dartmouth students with the hope of matrimony. It was not generally a very healthy relationship between the two schools and I think Colby admitting men was a good development for them as well. There are lots of tales to tell, but mostly they are sad ones - especially from a more modern sensitivity. Glad we have moved on, at least a bit.

Greg
Old 07-09-2021, 00:10   #230

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
This is not even close to the truth. I was there, at an elite, Ivy League college (Dartmouth) when they decided to admit women (1971 IIRC).
I was a few years behind you and I remember a steady stream of lawsuits. VMI was one of the loudest ones. Even little Webb where I went to school was threatened (the response was "we aren't a men's school - we an engineering school - no woman has ever applied").

I remember Vassar admitting men for the first time. That was a financial decision IIRC - not enough students.

I turned to Google for citations but the results are overwhelmingly recent Title IX lawsuits.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:35   #231

Yes, VMI and other state-supported schools were in another boat entirely. With few exceptions the Ivies and other elite schools were private, and a lot more difficult targets for lawsuits. But they were also on the leading edge of admitting women due to internal pressures, not lawsuits. In our case it was the alumni threatening lawsuits to stop admissions of women. Ultimately the college charters and the Boards of Trustees were the determinants. And the Seven Sisters and other elite women's colleges were free to choose either way, but the times they were a changin' and there were fewer women wanting to attend an all-women's school. Fortunately some of the truly great institutions, such as Wellesley and Mount Holyoke, made it through as women's colleges to this day.

Greg
Old 07-09-2021, 01:50   #232

Quote:
Wellesley and Mount Holyoke
I remember "Smith to bed, Holyoke to wed, and Amherst girls to talk to." Lots of PHTs. Different times and not better.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:24   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I remember "Smith to bed, Holyoke to wed, and Amherst girls to talk to." Lots of PHTs. Different times and not better.
Errr- what? I'm pretty good at working out abbreviations but "PHT" doesn't compute. Isn't on my go-to source either: https://www.allacronyms.com/PHT . Care to enlighten me?

Greg
Old 08-09-2021, 00:02   #234

Quote:
Errr- what? I'm pretty good at working out abbreviations but "PHT" doesn't compute. Isn't on my go-to source either: https://www.allacronyms.com/PHT . Care to enlighten me?
More my/our parents generation. PHT = "putting husband through." Young couple get married, wife quits school and goes to work, husband graduates, goes to work, they start family. "She earned her PHT."
Old 08-09-2021, 01:16   #235

and becomes success, divorces and marries a trophy wife. Seen that a bit too often...

Greg
Old 08-09-2021, 04:01   #236

... and becomes candidate for retroactive abortion. *sigh*

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch