Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 05:46   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

A MMSI number does not help the OP verify anything about the identity of vessel.

It will not help locate the vessel when underway should it be turned off.

A name and port is fairly useless and be easily be false or changed.

However a name, port and NUMBER can confirm the vessel is far more likely to genuine.

As an example, at random, I chose the name "ILLUSION" and searched the database given in the link in post#14. There were 59 vessels and quite a few had the same port.

However they all had a unique USCG number.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:33   #32

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Would you provide your personal info to them?
SS, DOB, bank info? Real world the capt has more skin in the game than the inexperienced crew.

I just don’t know why you would need anything other than the MMSI, name and port, if you are honestly just wanting it for your family to track the boat.

Are you a troll? OP never said anything about SS, DOB, bank info . . . doesn't even come into the picture. Now if you're trying to fear monger, and rabble rouse, I'll give you a 3 on a 10 point scale (10 being the best)

To the OP, I agree with everyone else, move on, find another boat to crew on.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:39   #33
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
@Shawna, I would not crew for anyone who is not willing to give you the identification of the vessel i.e. the flag state and the associated registration number and name of the vessel.

There is zero reason to withhold this information to a potential crew member.

exactly what he said. ESPECIALLY for a female crew.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:48   #34

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
I would be more than happy to provide the MMSI or something like that, but if you insist on wanting info that doesn’t make sense for you to demand, and moreover are too uneducated to know what is important for your stated use (MMSI) and isn’t even important for your need, than accuse me of being sketchy for my confusion as to why you wanted said pointless info, well guess that resolved itself.

An MMSI doesn’t help me, as potential crew, do a quick background search for contacts with authorities. These contacts may be as benign as safety inspections, or as informative as incident investigations.

By not disclosing a registration/documentation number (that is typically in the public domain) the reek of something fishy is dank.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
A MMSI number does not help the OP verify anything about the identity of vessel.
It will not help locate the vessel when underway should it be turned off.
Neither does the registration number help with location, I think.

But I agree that a name, port and NUMBER is more likely to be genuine. An insurance policy, marine invoice etc. increase the likelihood further. But I certainly wouldn't email out such things before meeting someone in person (and find him/her friendly). It's unclear at what point the OP asked and if there was already a meeting.

Besides, why so focused on the vessel and not on the person (passport, references, gut feeling)? Bad (up to a point) people can also register boats, don't you think?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:29   #36

Boat: Camano 41

Shawna, if you were asked for any personal information, it would be fair for the owner to offer some too. I would want to know the name on the title, assuming it is the person you are talking to, and the registration and MMSI number. I would understand a reluctance to put your name on the EPIRB, but other than that, information works both ways. Good Luck.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:30   #37

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Doesn't that depend on the nationality of the boat and whether it is on a national register for international travel purposes.

Assuming someone who's details say they are in Surinam is only talking about US federally "documented" boats (the US is the only country I know that uses that term), is being rather parochial.
I don't think the US is the only country that does this. Larger Canadian boats can be federally registered (Scorpius is) and the requirement is that the number be "carved into the main beam" or some other permanent internal part of the boat in 4" numbers. In Scorpius, being steel, it is carved into the ceiling in the head, and when we were considering her for the charter trade, Transport Canada approved it. There is no requirement for it to be on the outside of the vessel as, for registered vessels (as opposed to licensed vessels) the name and port of registry (which ARE required to be publicly displayed on the stern of the vessel) provide a unique identifier.

I suspect this system was originally concocted by the British, is now specified in international law, and is followed in every country.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:35   #38

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

Hi Shawna, One way to look at this (in addition to the previous hundreds!) is in terms of the costs and benefits. From that perspective, and without knowing more, the benefits of going don't seem very high (unless you're on an island facing a hurricane or something) and the potential costs of. going, quite high, even if the probability of a problem is low. If you're a nerdy type like me, you can assign numbers to it (benefit( a positive no.) x probability of positive outcome plus cost (a negative no.) x probability of bad outcome = x. If x less than zero, don't go! You can't of course really put numbers to it but conceptually it might help to think of it that way. --Ken
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:29   #39

Boat: Leopard 45

Don't, Run away from this one!
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:36   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Follow, always, your intuition. You described it as sketchy, so that is your perception to follow. Unless this is a be all, end all, feather in your hat career/life experience? There is no reason at all to anylize it further. There will be many more opportunities in the future that wiil not feel sketchy. At the very least it already makes for an uncomfortable alliance. You reticent, he offended by your request. I would pass on this opportunity.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:41   #41

Walk away and find another yacht owner that you feel comfortable with.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:49   #42

Boat: Cal-40

Hard to get a loan against a boat without first showing you have full coverage insurance and given the nature and cost of this type of insurance I doubt very much too many scammers are going to try this. However it’s also possible that the captains in question are not “sketchy” as you have said but rather so worried about everything they often inhibit their own lives and miss chances to meet cool people and have fun adventures. In the cast of these folks I would rather not hangout with them anyway, often they are no fun party poopers
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56   #43

Quote:
Thinking more about it, the owner is 100% in the right, the information you asked for was suspicious.

Now I don’t think it was your intent, but you have ZERO need to know the registration number, I’d wager if you asked for the MMSI number so your family could track you, you would have had a different reaction.

Your lack of knowledge and terminology made someone suspicious, which you found suspicious.
+1
I would think the MMSI number is what you want and need, and there would be really no reason for the skipper not to give you that number.
What would be the use of the registration number in an emergency is unclear to me and I can see the skipper being suspicious of your request.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:57   #44

Boat: challenger 32,

You say you are not female but you would pass...whatever that means, the important thing is what does your passport say ? If you do not match your passport you have a world of trouble when the skipper gives the crew list to the imigration people in whatever country your visit. TRUST YOUR INSTICTS....IF THE IS DOUBT, DONT DO IT WAIT FOR THE BAHA HA AND CREW THERE.
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:02   #45

Boat: Passport 41

Not sure where gender comes into play here, but in any case I give crew our MMSI and EPIRB numbers as well as Iridium Email address for emergencies. Everyone is 100% encouraged to "file" float plans with their emergency contacts / loved ones and check in along the way or at least upon arrival. The boat also has a website that uses AIS & Iridium to provide at least once daily position reports.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch