Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 07:57   #121

Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
People are scared of their own farts these days. /snip/
Just look up the number yourself
https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx
If you want the MMSI for AIS tracking (which is what I think you’re getting at)
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...searchShip.jsp
Frankly if you’re that concerned I’d bring a SPOT with you.

Lots of people go on this tangent about people wanting to kidnap them, or steal their kid, while it rarely does happen, more often than not, it’s mental masturbation to think others would sacrifice their freedom and everything they have to take YOU, you are not that important or interesting, outside of some crazy bum with nothing to lose, someone who has a nice boat and nice life isn’t going to throw it away to steal you. Nope.
Well Damn! Talk about a bucket of bracing ice water on a woman's built-in security system. There again, despite the female-sounding moniker this sounds very like a man who has no Earthly conception about what every single woman thinks and does, before stepping out of the house any day of the week ~ all part of being the "prey" pole of the bipolar dominant predator species. <g>
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:24   #122

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

As a former director of crime prevention for a city police department, my strong advice is to avoid any actions that may isolate you and bring you into a situation where you become anonymous and cut off from contact with your friends and family. If someone does not want to provide a means of tracking, especially the tracking of a female crew member by those who have an interest in her well being, get away from this person and the boat. Even if later concessions are made, do not consider boarding this vessel even to have a cup of coffee mid-afternoon. Overcautious? Think about being a month or two from any human contact other than the one, two, or three male crew members. But they seem nice? It's unknown where you are located, where or when you are expected to arrive, or what vessel you are aboard. You've placed yourself in an extremely vulnerable and dangerous position. If you are victimized (think of the possibilities) you are the only witness that could put them in jail for a long time. Perhaps disposing of the witness would allow them to stay free and victimize another young lady who is willing to go on a venture that has no tracking. Any questions?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:04   #123

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless
Red face Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

As God said to Noah when he doubted the building of an ark --"How long can you tread water?"

Don't Go!
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:07   #124

Quote:
No.

Registration number is inside the boat for documented boats.
Depends where you are in UK the SSR registration has to be on the transom
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:26   #125

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Nope, nope, nope. No need to put yourself in a potentially dicey situation. Other opportunities will present themselves.
I'd also have to give a hard pass on ever crewing for SailingSue. Her reasoning for ignoring all those red flags is sketchy as hell [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
jaxmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:22   #126

I'm a skipper. I file trip intentions every sailing. The trip intentions email goes just prior to departure to my emergency contacts, every crew members' emergency contacts, and copied to every crew member on board. Included information includes the scope of the voyage, alternative routes, everyone's address and phone numbers, emergency contacts' addresses and phone numbers, details of my yacht, age of everyone on board, details of EPIRBs and PLBs on board, VHF radio, ETA, panic date and time (when emergency contacts are required to advise the police the boat is overdue).
In addition to the above, anyone desiring to join the trip is required to disclose (confidentially) to me any relevant condition they have of a mental, physical or emotional nature, and any medication they have for controlling any such condition, also their age, height and weight. I can then make a decision on whether or not they are suitable for the trip.
This is for the protection of everyone on board, including me. So far no one has declined to supply this information. If they did, I would decline to take them.
This is also standard procedure for hiking (tramping) clubs ashore where I live (New Zealand), and the trip leader usually has the right to decline anyone without being required to give a reason.
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:28   #127

Quote:
People are scared of their own farts these days. Sure you could take out a loan, you’d also have to forge his signature, but yeah, he’s being a little paranoid, and you’re being a little paranoid of his paranoid...sounds like a good match! Lol

Path of least resistance, do you know the name and some basic details?

Just look up the number yourself

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

If you want the MMSI for AIS tracking (which is what I think you’re getting at)

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...searchShip.jsp

Frankly if you’re that concerned I’d bring a SPOT with you.

Lots of people go on this tangent about people wanting to kidnap them, or steal their kid, while it rarely does happen, more often than not, it’s mental masturbation to think others would sacrifice their freedom and everything they have to take YOU, you are not that important or interesting, outside of some crazy bum with nothing to lose, someone who has a nice boat and nice life isn’t going to throw it away to steal you. Nope.
Would you give the same advice if it was your daughter ??
I believe in 6th sense and if it feel wrong it is.......
erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:38   #128

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Brian: Outstanding

Sailing Sue....just some additional ideas.

If I were looking for crew, and found a solid knowledgeable person, male or female, I would make sure that they had as much information as possible to leave with loved ones who, incidentally, would be concerned abut their heading out to sea .

We would sit down and go over a rough sail plan, as to our destinations, which could change with weather, or mechanical breakdowns, getting parts, having too much fun and staying longer in an island chain than expected, wind direction, etc.

We would also go over a complete check out on the vessels systems, rigging, engine room, pumps, sails, and then a check ride . And demonstrate my and your knowledge of seamanship.

We would discuss weather and ocean conditions and staying clear of troubled areas.
And, you would be free, in port, or at sea, when comm was available, to let your friends and loved ones know how you are doing.

Maybe, they would like to fly down to one of the tropical area islands we would be visiting and spend some time with you, maybe even take them out for a day sail and some snorkeling, etc.

I would also have a personal history of my back ground and qualifications that you would be free to confirm before signing on and departing, and to leave a copy with
whoever you thought appropriate.

You would have the manufacture and type of vessel sea worthyness report, vessel name, length, hailing port, description, registration number or documentation number , photo, radio contact procedures , etc.

I strongly believe in skippers responsibility, that means to the vessel, the people on board, crew or passengers . Same goes for watch standers.

No drugs on board, and liquor is for parting down in port .

I would want to know your back ground, education, references , seamanship and navigation experience, and any certifications, etc.

I have to be able to count on you to stand watches, trim sails, reef, navigate, and handle storms, calms, fog, and equipment failures, anchoring, mooring pickups, VHF, and be checked out on any of the electronics, nav and comm on board.

Of course, I have a load of sayings that generally ring true in life. As to the O.P's situation that she was concerned about.

IF SOMETHING DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE, THE SITUATION USUALLY IS NOT GOING TO GET BETTER, IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE.

RING THE GONG FIVE TIMES AND ABANDON SHIP.

Comes down to there is a lot of responsibility on both parties, skipper and crew.
both need to be professional, truthful, and provide proof of back grounds and experience and references.

Lots of sea stories on good crew, bad crew, people I could count on, and warf rats and unknown to me alcoholics that I could not depend on. I some of these were people that I knew, and really did not know.

The same can apply to boat owners and skippers. Stay alert, stay smart.

My thoughts and ideas only, not everyone feels the same .

Good fortunes on your adventures in paradise
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:56   #129

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Not sure if PF is only disputing the romantic aspect or disputing both aspects.
But either way indicates a sheltered life
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:41   #130

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
I've been told to give your family ashore the registration number and name of the vessel as well as the boat owners name, and any other info available.
My suggestion is not to get wound up with specific bits of information but to focus on reasonable contact information. That may differ from boat to boat and situation to situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
My question to all in the know is:
Is it a red flag if they don't want to give your family their boats registration number?
My response would be "Sure. I can't imagine why you want it, but you can have it. What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe there is something else you should also have."

I'll provide some context for my position. By no means do I suggest what I do is right. It is what I do and my crews have been happy. I'm a delivery skipper. I happen to have had a number of female crew, I think because I don't care and treat everyone based on their capabilities. Lots of communication in both directions. If candidates get past the resume we have a phone call (these days a WebEx) that starts with telling the candidate that the interview works in both directions and their questions are welcome. Then starts a steady stream of email with a topic of the day, weather briefs within four days, questions and answers.

I have self-imposed guidelines. I'll singlehand out to a day. Two-up for three. Most of my work is offshore passages and we sail with four. I like to think I'm getting pretty good at choosing crew. I haven't had to put anyone off in nearly 15 years. I had one women walk off the boat at the dock about six years ago because she couldn't have a private cabin AND a private head. *grin*

Communication really is key. If you want Mom, Sis, and great-aunt Minerva to know what is going on I'll be happy to copy them on all the pre-trip email. I carry a SPOT and disseminate the URL.

In my case I'd want to talk about social media. Some of my customers have real issues that need to be managed so no boat names, nothing identifiable, no routes. We can share directly but not through social media. Again, communication is key.

Leaving 1 Nov from Annapolis to St Thomas with a crew of five, including two women.

I do have one gender specific guideline - I try to keep cleaning the heads from ending up in a woman's job jar. Just too stereotypical for me. On the forthcoming trip one woman is first mate, the other is purser (not cook - that's me *grin*). One man is engineer, and one is new owner/jack-of-all trades. I just wander around and pretend to be in charge. Oh - and cook.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 14:42   #131

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

As others have said, the Registration Number, and owner information are available online.
Anyone who wants to try to register a loan against a vessel can just look up a likely boat, and go for it.
If it happened very often, we would hear about it.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 16:19   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think you have old school manners and that’s nice! [emoji106]. I also don’t enjoy getting my picture taken but put up with it only when necessary.
Agree, would do the same. Maybe I didn't express myself well. I'm not against taking pictures from crew, boat and me and then send them to relatives. I only (vehemently) objected against putting them on social media, insta, fb etc. And yes of course, one should ask before.

I'm aware that there is a certain loss of privacy and that people see this subject differently. Maybe there are also cultural differences, e.g. in Europe (Germany) privacy seems to be much more important than in the US. Or old people are more reflected than young (but there are also young people who care)

Quote:
Oh for the good old days!
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:26   #133

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmariner View Post
Nope, nope, nope. No need to put yourself in a potentially dicey situation. Other opportunities will present themselves.
I'd also have to give a hard pass on ever crewing for SailingSue. Her reasoning for ignoring all those red flags is sketchy as hell [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Agree wholeheartedly, and apparently "Sailing Sue" is actually, or at least identifies as, a male so even more reason to seriously doubt their advice.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 21:06   #134
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It would be nice if everyone could at least be accurate when referring to other posters!

There has been no one using the name 'Sailing Sue' posting in this thread.

Maybe you mean 'SalingSue' but who can be sure. While I don't agree with the views posted by SalingSue, I do find it is disrespectful to misspell he/her name.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 21:42   #135

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It would be nice if everyone could at least be accurate when referring to other posters!

There has been no one using the name 'Sailing Sue' posting in this thread.

Maybe you mean 'SalingSue' but who can be sure. While I don't agree with the views posted by SalingSue, I do find it is disrespectful to misspell he/her name.

Wotname, I humbly accept your admonishment and hope that forgiveness will be forthcoming. Yes I did mean SalingSue and can assure that no disrespect to him/her was intended.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch