Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 13:09   #1

Cycling done - Boat next.

Well.. Cycling.. Almost done

I'm a currently on the last leg of my bicycle trip from Denmark to India and I wish to continue on a boat.

Plan...

The original plan is to buy my own boat, but I'm not confident in my chances of finding the right boat in India - also, it would be quite fun to share some of the travel experience with others being on my own for the last year now.

I have to be honest and say I have very little sailing experience. I have a Danish sailing "license", but have never owned a boat of my own.

But I'm a quick learner, have a high work morale and am a very easy going person.

Heading for...

I would be easiest from India, but I'll be ready board on most of the neighboring countries Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and so on

I'm very open to which route and country we head for, but I would prefer east rather than west since I hope to end up in South America at some point on my journey.

Ask me anything, or have a look at my website to get a sense of what kind of man I am.

walterstravels.dk

Ready from...

I want to spend my New Year in India, so I'll be ready to sail from January.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you

Best regards

Kristian Walters
Waltersdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cycling done - Boat next.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kristian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Kristian,

Welcome to CF. Did you post this as a request for advice or just to drive traffic to your website?

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

From India you’ll go west to get to South America!

At least on any boat you’d want to sail on.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Kristian,

Welcome to CF. Did you post this as a request for advice or just to drive traffic to your website?

Peter
My read is he is looking to crew on someone's boat out of South Asia and the website link offered so he can be considered.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

"From India you’ll go west to get to South America! "

If you are proficient with firearms you might be able to find a sailboat heading West down the Somalia Coast.
Your plan to go East on a boat makes sense to me.
Personally, Id give serious thought to going by Air.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36   #7

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

There are lots of boats for sale just to the east of india, in Phuket Thailand and Langkawi malaysia. The reason so many boats are for sale there is because sailing west across the Indian Ocean has been dangerous due to piracy. Serious dangerous.
I also am an avid cyclist and understand your adventurous spirit but the piracy in that ocean caused me to abandon my circumnavigation. You can perhaps find someone in Thailand or malaysia who wants to sail the southern Indian ocean, going south of Madagascar to reach capetown. But that route is renown for bad storms. Serious bad storms. I really don't want to tell you it can't be done, I want to tell you that you want to get more info and listen to others with experience in this part of the watery world.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:45   #8

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

If your ultimate goal is south america, you need to know that not many boats go east from southeast asia. It requires going way north in the Pacific or way south, both cold latitudes that most folks don't want to deal with. And going west to get there is the issue of piracy in the Indian ocean.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 16:13   #9

Boat: It’s old

Walter, you can catch a one way flight from New Delhi to Kuala Lumpur for around $250 with Malaysian Airlines. Cycling in South East Asia is great (although I haven't ridden in Malaysia). It can be utterly chaotic, but nobody ever gets upsets with cyclists like they do in western countries. Malaysian Airlines will carry your bicycle for free under sporting goods. From memory, it will need to be under 20 kgs and in a bicycle box of course.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:37   #10

Wow, what a response! I honestly didn't expect anyone to write back - that's pretty cool

Quote:
GordMay
Thanks

Quote:
Pete7
I don't care about traffic for the website and can delete the link if that's not allowed here. I'm just looking for someone to sail with.

Quote:
Sailmonkey
I would prefer to go east from India, so as not to run into the pirates, but I'm open to suggestions.

Quote:
SecondBase
Exactly

Quote:
Maka
Well, I'm ready to fly to some of the neighboring countries of India to find someone to sail with, but flying all the way to South America would negate the purpose of traveling for me.

Quote:
trimarannaga

There are lots of boats for sale just to the east of india, in Phuket Thailand and Langkawi malaysia

Thanks for this! That's really really good advice I thought I might have to go' all the way to Australia or New Zealand to find a decent boat "market".

Quote:
trimarannaga
Yes, the ultimate goal is South America - I've heard that before about having to go far North or South and would be ready to do so on my own.

The cold doesn't bother me - Maybe I'll think differently once I'm in it though.. Hehe..

Quote:
kimtrang
Very cool Thanks.
Waltersdk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat