Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2023, 20:36   #1

Boat: Hylas 54 #42
Darwin Australia to Bundaberg

Crew Wanted

I’m looking for an experienced crew member to join me aboard my Hylas 54 foot sailing yacht “True North” to complete my circumnavigation of Australia . I’m currently in the Kimberly and expect to arrive at Darwin August 5 for resupply and maintenance. I hope to continue the passage departing from Darwin sometime during the week of August 9.

The Crewing Opportunity

The passage route will be east across the northeast coast of Australia and then south down the east coast at least as far as Bundaberg and possibly to Sydney. Many notable stops might include Thursday Island, Lizard Island, Cairns, the Whitsundays and Airlie Beach, Middle Percy Island and many more. As always, weather will determine the exact route and timing. I’m looking for crew with sailing experience who want to get out and live the cruising life and participate in all its aspects. You will be expected to share expenses for food, fuel and marina charges. I seldom see the need to take a marina dock preferring to anchor in a scenic anchorage. You will have your own private cabin. There no smoking allowed aboard and illicit non prescription drugs are strictly prohibited. Moderate social drinking is ok when moored or if conditions allow.

The Yacht

True North is a 2006 Hylas 54 centre cockpit cutter rigged grp sailing yacht. She is rigged for safe offshore short handed blue water passaging with power winches, furling sails, modern electronics, high solid stainless steel lifelines and a cockpit which can be fully enclosed in inclement conditions. Below decks, she has most amenities for extended passages including large refrigerator and freezer, gas range and oven, electric induction burner, electric oven, ice maker, water maker, washer/dryer, auxiliary genset, solar power, large lithium (LiFePo) battery bank, etc. The yacht is equipped with Starlink satellite internet which provides almost continuous internet and cellular over ip access while underway and even in remote anchorages

True North has always been looked after with continuous maintenance and upgrades to her systems.

My background
I’m a vigorous 63 year old Canadian who arrived in Australia in January of 2020. During the pandemic, I twice cruised the Australianeast coast from Pittwater north to Lizard Island and back south to Tasmania. In my youth I sailed extensively including high level racing and working as a certified sailing instructor. After retirement I embarked on a slow round the world cruise. I enjoy hiking, scuba diving and exploring the regions and cultures I visit.

If you are interested in joining me in this adventure, please contact me by private message on this forum so we can arrange a phone call to further discuss the opportunity.

Some recent cruising pictures from the recent passage from Perth through the Kimberly to Darwin are below.

jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 21:03   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Darwin Australia to Bundaberg

jdtcanuck did you bump into the cat Yolo while you were in the Kimberly region?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 21:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
jdtcanuck did you bump into the cat Yolo while you were in the Kimberly region?
Cheers
Yes, we passed them a couple days ago.
Old 25-07-2023, 00:30   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

So let me see if I have this right, you are looking for someone to help you sail your yacht and add to your kitty so you can continue on your journey, yes?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 01:01   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Uncle Bob I bet he gets lots of replies. It's certainly one of the nicer boats I have seen asking for paying crew. A few yachts passed through our marina this year and I couldn't believe people were paying to be onboard. The boats were that old and small.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 02:05   #6

Wink Re: Darwin Australia to Bundaberg

Uncle Bob,

I’m not looking for delivery crew and I have not monetarily profited from any of the wonderful crew I’ve had aboard. I enjoy sailing and sharing the experience with others and only ask that they cover their costs while we cruise. I pay all costs for yacht maintenance, upgrades and repairs. I also pay the entire cost for marinas if we have to stay in a marina for repairs. Splitting the actual cost of food, fuel and marinas allow the crew as a whole to decide when what we should eat, when we should motor and when we should visit a marina. Each person has a stake in the decision.

I have solo sailed True North extensively, she is very well equipped for short handed sailing. I think the cruising experience is more pleasurable when experienced and shared with others.

If I was looking for professional delivery crew for a direct delivery, I would expect to cover expenses and remunerate professional credentialed delivery crew but we are cruising and spending time in wonderful locations on a beautiful yacht.
Old 01-08-2023, 20:46   #7

Im 60 and retired. Sailed from Grenada to Cartenga last summer as part of a crew. Still a novice but would like to see if you have any interest. i can pay my way.
lefttheoffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia