Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 07:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Delivery Captain wanted Vero Beach to Chesapeake

I am looking for a delivery captain to move my boat from Vero Beach, FL to Castle Harbor Marina on the Chesapeake.

The boat is a 2010 Beneteau 40 sloop. It is located at Vero Beach City Marina. The boat is complete except for wind instruments and radar.

I will provide local transportation at each end of the trip, airport to boat, boat to airport. I will show you how everything works at the start of the trip.

Please provide an estimate within 10% of the cost to deliver the boat inclusive of all expenses I would be expected to cover. This includes crew.

You will have a captains license and will provide insurance covering the trip.

Thank you
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 07:51   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Delivery Captain wanted Vero Beach to Chesapeake

I may be wrong but , I don’t think that most delivery captains can insure your boat. Their license should be acceptable to your insurance company to operate your vessel and not be an excuse to not pay in the event of damage. You should check with your carrier.
If you could afford the time , it’s a beautiful trip!
Old 31-05-2021, 10:49   #3

As said above. Captains cannot cost effectively get insurance for other people's boats. My contract specifically mentions that the owner will add the captain as named operator for the delivery. Insurance companies are familiar with this and actually expect it. Do you even have insurance?
I would offer to help you, but right now I'm busy as all get out.
Captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 11:10   #4

Boat: Last owned Cat Morgan 51

why don,t you just ask for crew and do it yourself, a great experience.
Peter Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 13:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not bidding for a few reasons: 1) i am booked until July and am discussing a few opportunities for July, 2) I cannot get insurance on a boat I do not own. 3) I can provide an estimate, but as I tell all my customers, “The real sea trial happens on the delivery.” So if there are issues, the true cost could exceed the 10% variance. 4) Despite my best efforts, I cannot control the weather. If there are 30 knot winds, even inside Hatteras, the vessel is safer at a dock than underway.

A more prudent approach is to find a competent master who you feel comfortable with and for you to crew the delivery.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:00   #6

Yes you will need to insure your boat yourself making the captain you pick as a registered driver of your vessel good luck
cptskullnbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:09   #7

Boat: Last owned Cat Morgan 51

This is the best way to gain experience. do it yourself. Just have crew join you. I gained experience just delivering fortilla sailboats for a Dutch company, best experience I ever got.
Peter Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:54   #8

Contact Capt. John Virginio, 207 671 0677.
He is located in Fort Pierce.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:10   #9

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I would be interested in being a crew member with no pay depending on the dates. PM if interested
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:43   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
I am looking for a delivery captain to move my boat from Vero Beach, FL to Castle Harbor Marina on the Chesapeake.

The boat is a 2010 Beneteau 40 sloop. It is located at Vero Beach City Marina. The boat is complete except for wind instruments and radar.

I will provide local transportation at each end of the trip, airport to boat, boat to airport. I will show you how everything works at the start of the trip.

Please provide an estimate within 10% of the cost to deliver the boat inclusive of all expenses I would be expected to cover. This includes crew.

You will have a captains license and will provide insurance covering the trip.

Thank you
One of the forum members, Auspicious, is a well respected delivery captain based out of Annapolis. Give him a shout.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:19   #11

As a Delivery Captain, I provide a written proposal to do the delivery. The proposal is based on estimated speed and distance plus a caveat for lost time (weather hold, mechanical, etc). In addition I present to the owner a “letter of Authorization, which is what the insurance company(s) wants. Damage to the boat is the owners responsibility, plain and simple. BTW this is about a 1400 mile trip, which with good weather and no issues with Hatteras, will take 1400/6 kts = 234 hrs. Or about 10 days, minimum. Better plan on 14 days or so. Also, without wind instruments, the job just became more difficult, requiring a very skillful and competent captain and crew. You should install the wind gear before attempting the journey....
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 20:04   #12

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

Why do you regard wind instrumenation as so important? Running close to dead downwind?
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 20:55   #13

401-6623019,,,,
Solo delivery captain, accepted by majority
Of insurance companies and excellent
Referrals.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 22:41   #14

First, running downwind is the most dangerous of points of sail because of the accidental jibe phenom. Second, anyone whom thinks that a voyage this long is going to be all downwind (for the entire trip) is just not very experienced or realistic. Finally, this aforementioned excuse for not having wind instruments is rediculous...Look, we have all sailed boats when the instruments failed, but it is common practice to have them. Besides if there are no wind instruments, what else is missing or inoperative???
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:08   #15

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmurray62 View Post
As a Delivery Captain, I provide a written proposal to do the delivery. The proposal is based on estimated speed and distance plus a caveat for lost time (weather hold, mechanical, etc). In addition I present to the owner a “letter of Authorization, which is what the insurance company(s) wants. Damage to the boat is the owners responsibility, plain and simple. BTW this is about a 1400 mile trip, which with good weather and no issues with Hatteras, will take 1400/6 kts = 234 hrs. Or about 10 days, minimum. Better plan on 14 days or so. Also, without wind instruments, the job just became more difficult, requiring a very skillful and competent captain and crew. You should install the wind gear before attempting the journey....
WHAT?????

Depending on where you're going in the Chesapeake (from going around Hatteras, you could have an extra day or two), but...

We went from Vero Beach City Marina (where we were on a mooring) last summer at about the same time. We staged out of Ft. Pierce, having come down the ICW the previous afternoon. From my log on an intended offshore to ME:

7-30-20 0820: out FTP to Gulf Stream
7-31-20 1420: Abort: Isaias on the way; head toward Chesapeake (Chris Parker wants us to go north) for shelter
8-1-20 0300: Out of fuel; refill 20G from jugs; can't motor to Chesapeake, aim to Beaufort - back under motor sail 0400
8-1-20 1800 Dropped sails and motored
8-1-20 2350 entered Beaufort inlet

Yes, to go around Hatteras would have taken a bit (but not much) longer, but we didn't have the fuel to push under motor to get far enough North in the bay; there were enough appropriate hideyholes in the Beaufort/Morehead City area that we weren't concerned.

The round trip on that instance is shown in the picture. You can see where we got out of the Gulf Stream to divert to Beaufort.

But my point is that, another day or so aside in the Chesapeake for this trip, from Ft. Pierce to Beaufort took us 64 hours. When we have done the C&D canal, we enter the Delaware and are out the other end on the same tide. Call it double that for the Chesapeake.

MAYBE 4-5 days, if you're even slower than we are...

But put the right anything-other-than-something-starting-with-"N" breeze on you and you'd be a bunch faster, I think - especially with a Beneteau with any decent sails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaufort RT.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	239545  
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, delivery, wanted