Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 18:41   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Delivery from New Caledonia to Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
The Pilot Charts (12NPPC), experience, and the ability to use boat speed to position well in advance of the lows (approaching from astern) to stay downwind (as another poster said). The Hanse can run at 9 to 11 knots in these conditions. The chances to get in on one weather pattern are very good.

Of the three route options, southerly (boatman), Hawaii more direct, and northerly: The southerly route is traditional, but it's way longer, southern cyclone season is approaching, and it requires a lot of beating to windward. It offers good stops, but the OP wants a delivery, not stops. Via Hawaii also requires a beating, a higher chance of motoring in no wind, but it's warmer.

The northerly route, colder, and breezier. Little chance of beating to windward - less than 10% by the Pilot Chart. Cool temps are not a problem IMO, espec. when running. I'd rather be running in force 7, half a dozen turns in the Genoa, triple reef steadying main, making 10+ knots, or reaching well eased in a force 6, than beating in force 3 or 4 making 6- knots if lucky.

That said, I'm told these new boats like the Hanse go to windward with less discomfort and wear than those of bygone years. I'd seek more advice on that. But it's still not as easy as as running.

The one other issue I'd have with the Northerly route is in relation to the shipping lanes. Ships can be stressful IMHO. It's been a few years for me - I'm not sure how busy the lanes in this region are these days. I'd take advice, but the answer to that one is to stay as clear as possible, always use the radar and AIS, and thorough watch keeping = less ability to be safe and shorthanded.

The forgoing assumes a November December trip. I think the same advice would apply to April/May - but would double check.

I'm pretty solid in this opinion/preference, but as always, open to other informed viewpoints/discussion.
In Nov/Dec you will have a serious challenge trying to keep yourself in the right section of passing lows to be able to enjoy the lovely downwind sailing. Todays N Pacific lows are separated a long way in latitude.

Not sure what your concern is about the commercial shipping traffic is. These guys always have strong AIS signals and proper lighting, making them easy to avoid. We often try to stay in the shipping lanes to avoid fish nets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191031-093505.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	202383  
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 21:43   #32

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A quick look at the N. Pacific pilot chart for Dec should answer that. Those little numbers in the center of the windrose tell you the number of gales per month in the sector.
Yes, that is what I meant by writing you must wait to leave until April for the Northern Route. The lows move too fast to allow a yacht to just try to stay in the westerlies then duck south when a winter low approaches.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:10   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 40ft Alloy Centre Board
Send a message via Skype™ to nixontankgirl

PM sent.
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42   #34

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
New Castle is the typical yacht shipping port on the Aust east coast. Vancouver is a typical stop instead of Seattle due to the US shipping rules.
Friends just shipped a 49ft mono New Castle to West Palm Beach, FL for around usd$50k.
Note that the first quote from yacht shipping companies should not be considered the final quote, as time gets closer they don't want empty spots.

Like I said above, either way you are probably looking at 50k before you are done. At least with the shipping its a known cost. Don't forget to include insurance costs along with all the other costs if you use a delivery crew.
So get a good deal on the boat.

There are a number of delivery skippers on CF, so you should get some feedback from them soon.
People often underestimate the wear, tear and problems associated with a tuff delivery.

I came across a benteau first stuck in xmas island, the owner was having it delivered from UAE to Sydney Australia, I believe it took 4 delivery skippers before it got to Sydney, the boat was beat up bad when I came across it. Definitely would of been cheaper to ship from the start.

If I'm not mistaken tankgirl here finally got the job done via WA.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 16:25   #35

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Not specifically delivery, but I looked at a number of boats down here in nz that had recently come from either the med or the Caribbean on their own bottoms since being either new or refurbished. There was a great deal that needed replacement, and even the parts that didn’t looked pretty tired. A big crossing is hard on a boat.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, delivery, New Caledonia, seattle