Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 00:35   #16

Re: Delivery Skipper available, instruction, yacht management

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hmm, according to the USCG:

"When calculating qualifying sea time, you must have been underway on the water for a minimum of four (4) hours to count as one (1) sea day. "

Don't see how things like "5 miles - in marina - move from one slip to another end tie", "5 miles - Rocky Point marine - move for checking mast height, and also for moving bimini forward" or all of those "10 miles - out on river - take for spin" qualify as sea days.

To say nothing of those multiple claims of 30 "sea days" each year (for a grand total of 100 miles per year) junior sailing in dinghies over 30 years ago.

It is interesting to view other people's log books. Though this not to deride the OP in any way I did notice most of the entries had rounded numbers and a few that had occurred on the same day. It would appear using this metric I could count the voyages from the dingy dock to my boat and back as seperate entries as well as using the dingy when we have been out cruising.

My personal log is sailing specific and does not include all the times I have used boats for fishing, water skiing, working etc. When crewing while racing on OPBs I typically don't bother with the details except for the amount of times/races I have done in a general entry that I add to. I have raced on quite a few of OPBs and it would be problematic and a pain to keep a log and have the skipper sign it each time not to mention having rarely seen others do it. The number of races I have done without full documentation is in the hundreds and would likely require multiple log books to fully detail.

I am interested in other people's thoughts on log book keeping.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:20   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

You are correct. My experience log is a tool. I use it for several things.
To show my experience with vessels.
  1. to track sea time so it is easier to fill out USCG NMC sea time forms.
  2. A day is 4 hours. I don't log anything shorter than 4 hours because this is a USCG requirement for a "day" of sea time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottuk View Post
It is interesting to view other people's log books. Though this not to deride the OP in any way I did notice most of the entries had rounded numbers and a few that had occurred on the same day. It would appear using this metric I could count the voyages from the dingy dock to my boat and back as seperate entries as well as using the dingy when we have been out cruising.

My personal log is sailing specific and does not include all the times I have used boats for fishing, water skiing, working etc. When crewing while racing on OPBs I typically don't bother with the details except for the amount of times/races I have done in a general entry that I add to. I have raced on quite a few of OPBs and it would be problematic and a pain to keep a log and have the skipper sign it each time not to mention having rarely seen others do it. The number of races I have done without full documentation is in the hundreds and would likely require multiple log books to fully detail.

I am interested in other people's thoughts on log book keeping.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:22   #18
Marine Service Provider

On the contrary, every one of my sea time entries is 4 hours. I ensure of this. The older entries are estimations, and not used for the sea time forms.

Quote:
Hmm, according to the USCG:

"When calculating qualifying sea time, you must have been underway on the water for a minimum of four (4) hours to count as one (1) sea day. "

Don't see how things like "5 miles - in marina - move from one slip to another end tie", "5 miles - Rocky Point marine - move for checking mast height, and also for moving bimini forward" or all of those "10 miles - out on river - take for spin" qualify as sea days.

To say nothing of those multiple claims of 30 "sea days" each year (for a grand total of 100 miles per year) junior sailing in dinghies over 30 years ago.

Old 29-11-2016, 08:32   #19
Marine Service Provider

Stu,

Unlike you I am not here to bash or condone any one on this forum. Everything I do around my captains license is done in good nature and don't misrepresent in any way my capabilities and experience. I am 49 years old and have been on the water since I was 5 years old.
  • Learned to sail as a kid on thames river in Groton, Conn.
  • went into junior sailing at Kaneohe Yacht Club
  • hard core college sailing up and down the west coast
  • bought a melges and campaigned it for 3 years
  • bought a cal 20 and campaigned it for 3 years
  • bought a laser and sailing weekly at WSC for 12 years
  • over 20 years of race management including PRO for national and international events in the Columbia river gorge
  • over 15 years of sailing instruction under both ASA and US sailing
  • over 5 years of commercial fishing including dutch harbor AK
  • over 30 years of racing on dinghy's and big boats
Over the last year I have done 25 deliveries, including a trip from Hawaii to Seattle, accumulating over 7k miles in the ocean.

In the last three years I have developed a non-profit in PDX that gives people access and networking to getting out on the water. Over 80 people are part of this organization, and handful of them have over 5k miles of ocean deliveries just in the last year. When they had never been on the water before.

If I could go back and edit my post I would do it just for you. If an administrator of the forum would like to go change post that is fine with me. None of it changes who I am and what I am capable of.

Slash away my friend.

Quote:
Years of sniffing out this sort misrepesentation.

That and actually holding a real commission and being entitled to use the title of Captain.
Old 29-11-2016, 09:14   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Great topic, Scottuk... USCG certification is about the only Federal seagoing certification available in the US unlike other countries. There are good and bad, experienced and inexperienced skippers, some on their way up, some on their way down and many, like me, who are fossilized!
Marine Academy is another route many US seamen and women take and necessary for seagoing bridge responsibilities.
Until I have sailed with an individual, I have learned to hold judgement. The best skipper I ever sailed under was not certified but a knowledgeable great teacher who I will never forget. Although I was grandfathered into the USCG system with over 20 years commercial experience and a few marine courses outside the US, the certification was necessary for me to drive boats for hire in the US.
Don't disparage what is the only Federal standard we have too quickly. Cheers, Phil
Old 29-11-2016, 11:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Great topic, Scottuk... USCG certification is about the only Federal seagoing certification available in the US unlike other countries. There are good and bad, experienced and inexperienced skippers, some on their way up, some on their way down and many, like me, who are fossilized!
Marine Academy is another route many US seamen and women take and necessary for seagoing bridge responsibilities.
Until I have sailed with an individual, I have learned to hold judgement. The best skipper I ever sailed under was not certified but a knowledgeable great teacher who I will never forget. Although I was grandfathered into the USCG system with over 20 years commercial experience and a few marine courses outside the US, the certification was necessary for me to drive boats for hire in the US.
Don't disparage what is the only Federal standard we have too quickly. Cheers, Phil
Did not mean to disparage though I think sea miles and differentiating between sail/motor would give a better understanding of experience.
Old 29-11-2016, 17:29   #22

What is all this venom. We all do what we can.
BTW a Naval Captain is equivalent to a Colonel, not a Major. A Naval Captain can command a destroyer.
pdenton
Old 29-11-2016, 23:30   #23

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

One only has to scan through past posts by viewing the profile of the poster to get a good feel for where they are at.

Two threads stand out to me for the evidence of very poor knowledge of boats and navigation for someone with that professed level of experiance.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2047725
Delivery -> sleigh ride

Confused NM with Statute miles, and also ran out of fuel.

*http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1974406
Lower's on Columbia 34 Mark 2

For a mechanical engineer? to not understand the importance of forward lowers on an in line masthead rig is very worrying.

I sincerely hope someone doesnt end up injured or killed by this combination of bravado and ignorance.
Old 29-11-2016, 23:47   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
One only has to scan through past posts by viewing the profile of the poster to get a good feel for where they are at.

Two threads stand out to me for the evidence of very poor knowledge of boats and navigation for someone with that professed level of experiance.

Delivery -> sleigh ride - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Delivery -> sleigh ride

Confused NM with Statute miles, and also ran out of fuel.

*Lower's on Columbia 34 Mark 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Lower's on Columbia 34 Mark 2

For a mechanical engineer? to not understand the importance of forward lowers on an in line masthead rig is very worrying.

I sincerely hope someone doesnt end up injured or killed by this combination of bravado and ignorance.
Wow, that's really calling a spade a spade! All I would add to this to someone who thinks they might want to consult with mack, is carefully search out all his CF posts, think about them and the criticisms offered, and then make your decision.

This is not about venom, although I can understand why someone with a disagreeing point of view might be labeled that way. It is about someone quite enthusiastic about himself and his lack of openness to criticisms by his peers, and his defensiveness, that are of concern to me.

To be quite clear, if I want a boat delivered, I want it to have been pampered along the way: I do not want big bills from overdriving on my end. If I want to be taught, I want to be taught by someone who will teach me good seamanship. Really, there is a reason why in days gone by, people selected to be ships' captains were conservative sailors: it means arrivals, with cargoes intact! Hooray!

Ann
Old 30-11-2016, 00:16   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Given that the general tone of this thread is a little pointed, and that all that can be said has been said, we will close it and leave it up.
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery, skipper, men, yacht