Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 19:00   #16

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: East Coast Sandy Hook NJ to Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalspau View Post
Hello Davil-

I saw you posting on the Cruisers Forum. Your NO's are not a problem...

I just completed a 10 day, 400 nm sail out of the Boston Sailing Center and got back on 7/22/19 in Gloucester Harbor.

I have had a several Boston Sailing Center (BSC) memberships over the years. I have sailed with cruising members and done 5 one week plus cruises, to Maine, Buzzard’s Bay, and three in the FL Gulf. Last summer I was a day sailing crew member with a 40 foot membership. At the end of the season he invited me to join him on a 2 week cruise put together with another 40 foot member to Boothbay, Maine. This was on a 40 foot Hanse from Hyannis to Boothbay and on down the coat back to Boston.

The longest sail I have done was from Sarasota to the Dry Tortugas (Fort Jefferson) and back 586 nm. It was on a 38 foot C&C and we had 40 knots of wind and some seas.

This winter I took the 5 week navigation course and plan to sit for the ASA 105 Coastal Navigation test.

Currently self-employed, I live and work locally in the Boston’s Back Bay. This consists of self scheduled IT work. The BSC has helped me grow a love for sailing. If you think you can use me I am interested in being good crew for your sail North.

References available upon request.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Jim
====================================
send you a personal message
Sorry did not see this posting early as will likely enjoy having your help.
arrived yesterday to Montauk and I believe the overnighters are out for a while,really between the heat and stress am done for now and the most plan to do is just simple day legs,
Been a geriatric sailor have its limitations however will not doubt to call you in future need,
take care
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:32   #17

Hello David,
I am interested in sailing with you. I recently completed my ASA 104 off the Israeli coast. I have assisted in yacht delivery from Preveza, Greece to Rhodes. Currently living land locked in the US and desperate for the Sea I am a fit 50 year old woman. Strong enough to hoist the main and old fashioned enough to like a man opening a door for me. No strings or romances is perfect. My fee..... teach me something:>
- jo
MedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedLady View Post
Hello David,
I am interested in sailing with you. I recently completed my ASA 104 off the Israeli coast. I have assisted in yacht delivery from Preveza, Greece to Rhodes. Currently living landlocked in the US and desperate for the Sea I am a fit 50-year-old woman. Strong enough to hoist the main and old fashioned enough to like a man opening a door for me. No strings or romances is perfect. My fee..... teach me something:>
- jo
===============================================
Hi
just finished the leg from Sandy Hook to Point Judith RI.
Definitively interested
my wifi is acting out will try to send a PM
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29   #19

tried to send a PM, not sure worked, if you do not receive it here is my email
Dejavu_us@yahoo.com
Old 12-08-2019, 12:38   #20

U P D A T E

Do not know how to update the title:

from the time I posted have kept sailing and I am currently in
Shelburne NS leaving tomorrow for Halifax NS
I am fine with crew needs at this time.
thanks to all who have responded with interest
David
Old 18-08-2019, 14:56   #21

Re: East Coast Sandy Hook NJ to Maine(updated Halifax to Bermuda)

trying to use the old posting as has info of interest to readers.
The boat and I are now in Halifax NS
Considering a crossing to Bermuda between last week September to the first week of October ( I know all about the small window, weather routing, etc, please ).
This crossing requires 3 people, already have a very competent female sailor who has done this crossing and I prefer another female crew just for this crew person comfort.
This crossing due to the nature of potential weather is both contingents to last-minute cancellation as well as be able to board on very short notice like weather routing services saying "go".
Also because the nature of this crossing the third crew member will need to have considerable sailing experience.
In addition to the above-described safety and electronics devices will have an Iridium phone (buy or rent) for weather routing services.
Thank you for your consideration
Old 21-08-2019, 08:41   #22

updated Halifax to Bermuda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
trying to use the old posting as has info of interest to readers.
The boat and I are now in Halifax NS
Considering a crossing to Bermuda between last week September to the first week of October
This crossing requires 3 people, already have a very competent female sailor who has done this crossing and I prefer another female crew just for this crew person comfort.
This crossing due to the nature of potential weather is both contingents to last-minute cancellation as well as be able to board on very short notice like weather routing services saying "go".
Also because the nature of this crossing the third crew member will need to have considerable sailing experience.
In addition to the above-described safety and electronics devices will have an Iridium phone (buy or rent) for weather routing services.
Thank you for your consideration
updated destination
Old 24-08-2019, 19:49   #23

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hello again, Davil, I have followed your thread, thinking maybe my "free time" might appear in sync with your need for crew, and now it has, but are you still looking for a Downeast bound crew? I thought this "ship had sailed" literally, but now I see your posting still, so bring me up to date, if you'd be so kind. I am, all of a sudden, free for up to two weeks, and can fly into Logan tomorrow (sunday) if that's a go on your schedule. ?
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 21:29   #24

(updated Halifax to Bermuda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgoodsint View Post
Hello again, Davil, I have followed your thread, thinking maybe my "free time" might appear in sync with your need for crew, and now it has, but are you still looking for a Downeast bound crew? I thought this "ship had sailed" literally, but now I see your posting still, so bring me up to date, if you'd be so kind. I am, all of a sudden, free for up to two weeks, and can fly into Logan tomorrow (sunday) if that's a go on your schedule. ?
=========================

Hi
thank you very much for your kind offer and interest.
to your question to bring you up to date.
It is kind of difficult for me to update the title of the posting, from my original postings as I was leaving Morehead City NC am now tied up at a mooring of the Armdale Yacht Club in Halifax Nova Scotia.
Has been about 1400 n/m mostly solo with some help on a few extended two overnighters and the rounding of Cape Hatters, been coastal felt the need to keep a more active watch for the obvious traffic added risk, and Cape Hatteras no need to explain.
It all started when my hope to link with a crew who is a member of the Cruisers Forum and have made plans to do it together last year was not available and I decided waiting for his return was not an option {at my age no longer buy extended warranties) or make future plans.
decided to have females crew and was very fortunate to meet and have aboard two of the most experienced and helpful sailors I ever have the pleasure to sail with except my wife and my daughter.
Currently as mentioned in Halifax planning a crossing to Bermuda, what the heck, made it this far
That is in the planning stages and have two new female crew willing to do it, both local from Halifax and again very experienced sailors with long passages experience.,time of departure is fluid as you know we are at the mercy of two weather makers, the tropical systems and the beginning of the northern Atlantic wind/gales.
We may decide to return to the east coast instead of departing from Halifax and leave from a more southerly position, Cape Cod?Norfolk? but of course, that will mean a late time November?
The idea been to winter in Bermuda and then who knows?
Flew to Durham to visit my daughter, then medical visits and return to Halifax early September, love the area, initially sailed from Cape Cod to Shelburne, lovely sailors town and then continued to Halifax.
will use the next couple of months to do short day cruising and sailing between anchorages close to Halifax, get to know, as much as possible in such a short time and prepare the boat for Bermuda?
Anyways, tried to answer your question, always find this forum very helpful and continuous source of support.
take care
David

Tags
east coast, maine