Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 13:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Extra hand for 30-foot boat headed south from Annapolis in a couple of weeks

I've been restoring a 30-foot steel boat for the past many months and am headed down the ICW shortly (exact departure date still uncertain, but aiming around Dec 15). My intended crew has informed me that something has come up and she may not be able to make it anymore. I'm looking for an extra hand to come with me for the first week-10 days for however far I make it before the Christmas break (i'm trying to return to Maryland for the holidays and then resume passage afterwards), likely somewhere in southern Virginia or North Carolina. I'm confident in my ability to singlehand generally speaking and relatively confident in my ability to singlehand this boat more specifically (and it is rigged to singlehand), so you don't need to be an expert with years and years of sea time and I am willing to do some teaching, but I am still getting to know this specific boat so I'm looking for someone who can steer when I need to run and do something, give a second opinion on my chosen anchorage, and throw some docklines. You'd have to get yourself to Annapolis and likely also get yourself back home from wherever we end up around Dec 22/23, but I may be able to coordinate some transportation back for the right person. This will be cold sailing, so you'd have to bring your own appropriate cold weather gear. This isn't paid, and I'd expect coverage of your own food and other personal costs, but I'm not expecting any chipping in for boat-related fees. I am also a 20 year old woman taking a semester off college, so I'm not looking for anyone wildly out of my age range. Ideally someone who's between 18 and 25, with some time to kill who has done some sailing and is eager for a bit of an adventure.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 22:01   #2

Boat: Tartan 28
Re: Extra hand for 30-foot boat headed south from Annapolis in a couple of weeks

Good Luck! Stay Warm and HAVE FUN!!!!! Please, do tell us about your boat and the work you have put in..........
Picture would be awesome
Carlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 23:18   #3

Re: Extra hand for 30-foot boat headed south from Annapolis in a couple of weeks

As someone who has sailed down the ICW, it’s mostly motoring and the sailing can be more trouble than it’s worth, especially if you don’t have furling and a stack pack.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 23:36   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

This is awesome!

While I’m no candidate for this trip, I applaud you for doing something different and adventurous on your semester off. They offer a “semester at sea” in non Covid times aboard a larger boat, but doing your own is really something.

It also is nice to see people still taking up the pastime.

Hopefully you have a cabin heater? It’s a particularly chilly time of year for this. I know a lot of people in your preferred age bracket, but none tough enough to endure the off season trip.

People may forget this, but proper snowboarding and skiing gear makes for perfect waterproof outdoor winter clothing on a boat. Also, a good sleeping bag will keep you warm in any conditions, so long as the hatch above the bunk isn’t leaking.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
As someone who has sailed down the ICW, it’s mostly motoring and the sailing can be more trouble than it’s worth, especially if you don’t have furling and a stack pack.
Luckily I do have a furler, and yea it will probably only come out in the major crossings. The funny thing is I'm more confident under sail than I am motoring into a dock slip haha
Old 03-12-2020, 02:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is awesome!

While I’m no candidate for this trip, I applaud you for doing something different and adventurous on your semester off. They offer a “semester at sea” in non Covid times aboard a larger boat, but doing your own is really something.

It also is nice to see people still taking up the pastime.

Hopefully you have a cabin heater? It’s a particularly chilly time of year for this. I know a lot of people in your preferred age bracket, but none tough enough to endure the off season trip.

People may forget this, but proper snowboarding and skiing gear makes for perfect waterproof outdoor winter clothing on a boat. Also, a good sleeping bag will keep you warm in any conditions, so long as the hatch above the bunk isn’t leaking.
I considered sea-mester and ultimately decided to do a more traditional abroad instead because I did a summer cruising program in the Caribbean when I was 13, and I found myself somewhat annoyed with all the people who didn't know how to sail and had no idea what they were getting into lol. I love teaching generally, but I didn't want to spend a semester that started with learning how to tie a bowline (I have heard great things about the program though, so nothing against it). the abroad I ended up choosing was actually supposed to be this spring semester but it got cancelled, so here I am doing this instead

And yes I have an A/C unit that doubles as a heater when I'm on shore power, as well as an alcohol heater and I'll probably snag an oil lamp as well

And luckily I have a history in dinghy racing, so I'll be bringing a drysuit- better to be overkill than the other way around. And, on the bunk thing, I spent a lot of time growing up on a wooden boat with perpetually leaky decks over my bunk, so I'm very happy to report that I rebedded my hatches a few months ago and the boat has since been very dry
Old 03-12-2020, 06:49   #7

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

All the best for finding crew and setting off KelseyB!
I have enjoyed the discussions you have started in regards to your boat.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:59   #8

You would probably have better luck in finding crew closer to your age on the younger platforms. Here, 45-50yo is considered "a young'un just getting into the sailing thing" age.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
You would probably have better luck in finding crew closer to your age on the younger platforms. Here, 45-50yo is considered "a young'un just getting into the sailing thing" age.
Such as what platform?? I have been looking at all the "find a crew" networks and whatnot but not finding a lot there, either
Old 03-12-2020, 07:39   #10

Wrong coast, but a younger crowd in SF Bay area. Latitude 38 is an incredible sailing rag that is legendary. Looks like you can be a bit more defined on your listing. I've known several people who have found decent crew, mostly plutonic.

https://www.latitude38.com/crew-list/

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:39   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Last year I did the same trip singlehanded leaving in early November. There were many cold and miserable days all the way south to the Georgia - Florida border. Staying warm and moderately comfortable is the top priority, once cold or worse, cold and wet, fatigue comes quickly, then even simple decisions and mistakes can add up fast.
There are not many boats on the bay or in many stretches of the ICW this time of year, for much of the trip you really are on your own.
I thought it was overkill to install a small diesel heater before heading south but I was very glad I did. Ditto for reinforcing the dodger. The alternative for staying out of the cold wind and spray is to dress up like an artic explorer. You may need an extra large PFD to fit on top of weather gear">foul weather gear too.
Bring more gloves and socks than you think you'll need. Warm hat(s) too. Two thermos bottles got constant use - one for coffee everyday, the other filled in the morning with boiling water to be used for soup, ramen, tea, cocoa throughout the day.
You may get some sailing on the bay to Norfolk but after that it is motoring and anchoring.
It took me two weeks to get to Oriental, NC losing a few days due to bad weather. Similar to your plan I left the boat there to return home for the Thanksgiving holiday.
A couple related things to keep in mind - most places where you can leave the boat charge by the day or the month. 30 day rates are often less than paying full rate for a week. Transport from where you leave the boat can get expensive too, for example getting to New Bern from Oriental to fly or rent a car means a cab or uber ride, about $45.00. The big (cheap flights) airports are generally far from the ICW, it can be costly to get to the airport
I learned to leave the boat near Enterprise locations and rented cars to get home.
Here is the bummer part----I think you missed your tide by a month or two. With the cold, short days and other boats out there few and far between there is much to be said for waiting until April.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:54   #12

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Such as what platform?? I have been looking at all the "find a crew" networks and whatnot but not finding a lot there, either
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sailboatyacht

Crewbay
https://www.crewbay.com/profile/dashboard

Sailing Networks
https://www.sailingnetworks.com/boats

I'm physically older* than your preferred age bracket but available ;-)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:57   #13

Boat: Jefferson, MY, 46

Good Advise from all of the above! The only thing that I would add is: since there is no pay involved, you need to feed the crew! that change may increase the interest in what you are looking for. Good Luck
Just Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:08   #14

Boat: Catalina MKII 34'

FYI, I have singlehanded a 34' up and down the ICW numerous times, I can tell you it is something you can do on your own. Especially if you have an auto pilot. On a straight run slow down to half speed and do what is necessary IE; a trip to the head. Forget the sailing except on the Chesapeake. Most of all, have a plan for anchoring, mooring, marina etc.
I can't help you (way out of your age group ) but I can cheer you on.
Keep posting and the best of luck.
svchances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:05   #15

Boat: Baba 40

If you don’t have a heater, I’d suggest a Big Buddy. Runs on propane bottles and I’d enough to take the edge off after a long cold day.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boat, head