Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2017, 11:03   #16

re: Female Seeking crew opportunities to Baja Ha Ha

She sounds like the perfect newbie crew ! Taking classes to learn basics . Has her own funds . If she is in good health (no prescription drug needs ) and valid passport , sounds just about right . Any one can get seasickness so that would be my only concern . If she does , will she tough it out ? If she likes camping out for long periods of time she'll pass for me if I was doing the Baja ha ha . Good luck Kendall, hope you make the ha ha !��
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:29   #17

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

I think you'll do fine with this search. A photo can help if one has a decent smile.

You might try seeing if you can place an a card at some local marinas in the area? Craigslist? Facebook has some sailing communities. This place may be all you need if you can stomach separating the wheat from the chaff. That challenge exists everywhere of course.

Do be advised that the California coast has a pretty tough reputation with seasonal variations of course. You do not want your first experience to be bad. Motion sickness tabs are cheap insurance against a rough time. Different water motions effect people differently.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 21:04   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There will be a Crew Party meeting in the early fall, used to be sponsored by Lat. 38. That is where you can meet skippers for the Baja Ha-Ha.

The other issue, if you want to be a helping hand in the Orange County area, is to go to a nearby yacht club and start helping out on races, and with doing the jobs at haul out times. That gets you out on the water, and a chance to vet your potential skippers.

There's a story from a long time back about a skipper who wanted to sail SF to HI, and took on a stranger to him, a woman crew. Subsequently, the skipper tried to put unwelcome moves on her. Fourteen days is a long time. He arrived with only one winch handle, she had thrown the others overboard to get him to discipline his urges.

So, do heed A64pilot's warning. You would generally be at a disadvantage if someone thought you'd be easy.

Actually, taking on unknown crew can be dangerous for a skipper, as well. If you've a mind to, you might try a CF Custom Google Search (under the Search menu) on "What to do if you get a bad captain?" and "What to do if you have bad crew?"

Ann
Old 16-07-2017, 22:37   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard and good luck! A good skipper will want to interview you and will expect you to interview him/her too!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 04:01   #20

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
sure... if one needs company and a cook. My sense was this young lady wants to sail and learn and so on... experience on a sailboat. Fine. Not something I am terribly interested in.... but others may be. Not to mention she is young enough to almost be my grand daughter... the generation gap is likely too large.
Question tothe group how did you learn to sail, normally through a person who took time to give something back to the sailing community. I have taken several novices on tripsan enjoyed there company an their excitement. Most have been young enough to be my daughter, I have treated them with respect An given my best to ensure that they learn the love of the sea An sailing
Sandero. You are right you are too old and set in your ways, but for goodness sake please encourage others don't continue to be negative.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 06:30   #21

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: Female Seeking crew opportunities to Baja Ha Ha

Rbarzil has it right. `Go to the Latitude38.com crewlist site. If no luck there think about going to the sendoff party in San Diego the Sunday before, or earlier and walk the docks. Plans change and many boats end up short at the last minute. Take a packed sea bag, smile and good attitude and you have a good chance of getting a ride.

I have done 6 or 7 HaHa's and had a great time every time. Often had inexperienced crew but that is fine. I can singlehand but more fun with others on board. My main criteria for crew are easy smile and sense of adventure.

Ignore the naysayers, except the parts about interviews. They are two way street so interview the owner/captain/boat while your're being interviewed.

Can PM me if you have more questions.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 06:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

https://www.AbleMariners.com

Crew People can fill out a profile with pics. Messaging between Boat Owners, Delivery Captains and Crew People is private until you share your email.
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 06:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I just had 2 x 26 year old novice females on a 25 day passage and they were great.

Fortunately they were in the port I was in so I was able to meet them over a 2 week period to vet, and speak to some of their friends.

Its the first time I have taken crew on a passage so I was nervy as hell. But I may just do it again. (next passage in April 2018, 2,000nms UK to south of France)

Mark
I "picked up" a couple of young German girls in St Maarten who wanted to sail around the Caribbean. I was headed back to English harbor and the fella who actually "scored" these lovelies bailed on me. So I took them anyway. There was a language issue... they didn't know how to sail... but it was OK have passengers in bikinis... Actually more a worry because I was concerned they could hurt themselves or the boat. They didn't want to learn anything.

In the end it was fine... I would prefer people... if I wanted company... who could help, converse, cook etc. If not I am fine single handing.

On the other hand watch keeping even for brief stints allows me to do things below... that must be done. I like having eyes on deck at all times.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 06:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Question tothe group how did you learn to sail, normally through a person who took time to give something back to the sailing community. I have taken several novices on tripsan enjoyed there company an their excitement. Most have been young enough to be my daughter, I have treated them with respect An given my best to ensure that they learn the love of the sea An sailing
Sandero. You are right you are too old and set in your ways, but for goodness sake please encourage others don't continue to be negative.
I learned to sail by attending sailing classes, navigation and weather classes and some (very little) time on a friend's boat.

I bought Shiva 32 years ago when this friend backed out of a partnership deal and so I decided to buy my own boat and learn. YES he did accompany a number of times in that first summer. But I intellectually know almost everything I needed to sail the boat. The rest was my one hands on experience.

Most people who ask me to take them for a sail and "learn" something are not serious. Way too much to learn in an afternoon and these sorts are terribly naive and are not interested in the hard work of studying - reading and so forth. Like... let me do the dock lines.... yeah right.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 07:14   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
sorry you had so many ******** replies to a very simple request, give this guy a shout.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012082600928
Amen!

You have received some ridiculously unhelpful replies, and I apologize on behalf of my comrades here.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with your request.

Even a relatively inexperienced crew can be tremendously helpful on a long passage just by keeping a visual watch. Single handing is really exhausting, especially near shipping or land, because you have to keep your eyes open and scanning the horizon, even while you have tons of other things to do -- the COLREGS require all of us to keep a continuous lookout by sight and hearing, in addition to any electronic methods we might have. Being relieved just of that one task is already worth having crew; any actual sailing skills are just a bonus.

I use volunteer crew all the time, and although I would probably prefer to have a Yachtmaster Ocean with multiple transats, I am also happy to have people of your skill level. It's mutually beneficial -- the more you learn, the more useful you are to me, so I have every reason to teach you, plus I enjoy it. The most important thing by far in a crew is good attitude, cheerfulness, and eagerness to work. All the other things are much less important. I'm sure you'll be a fine addition to anyone's crew and I bet you will find a berth for the Ha Ha.

If you don't find anything for the Ha Ha, there might be one berth still open on my boat sailing from Helsinki, Finland, to Cowes, UK during the whole month of August -- a much longer (1500 miles) and far more interesting trip than the Ha Ha, including a full transit of the Baltic Sea, crossing the North Sea, and passing through half the English Channel. PM me if you're interested. I have crew already for three watches including myself, but I like to add a lookout to my own watch since I have so much to do -- all the navigation and planning, repairs, etc. That's a good role for someone of your skill level.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:06   #26

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Good luck on finding the right boat/Captain to sail with.

Personally I would prefer young, enthusiastic and inexperienced over an old, surly braggart any day of the week...
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:48   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In truth, when I take my first crew as I have not yet, I want inexperienced, young may be an asset cause to be truthful, in my younger years I was physically a lot more capable than I am now, and sometimes being more physically fit and tougher is an asset.
Anyway I want inexperienced, but ideally smart and willing to learn, cause I want things done my way. I don't want to hear how it was taught in sailing school, or the last guy I crewed with did it different etc.
My best crew is our 18 yr old daughter, my 21 yr old Son wanted to argue about everything for instance.
Darn kid was often right though, old man just has to listen sometimes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 09:57   #28

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard and good luck! A good skipper will want to interview you and will expect you to interview him/her too!
Excellent insight!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:17   #29

Los Angeles to La Paz coming up.
More relaxed than Baja haha pace...
Captain Lukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 16:00   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are in san diego go to the send off parties you will find a berth if there is one to be had .. also use latitude 38 crew list for mexico. if you donot find berth for haha there are many folks heading south without haha.
haha departs usually hellowe'en, so you need to be in san diego for the parties and send off. hit downwind marine for their crew wants and needs board in back by the books.
if you only want a berth to mazatlan, look in facebook for patrick hughes, who owns a cargo schooner name of patricia belle. he uses fresh crew. he may or may no tbe doing haha this year, but he is coming down here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, crew