Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2021, 09:30   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch
pirate Re: Florida-Bahamas-Caribbean-Azores 2022

Crew-munity.... a philosophical adjunct to the technical sailing bits...
I am adding this post to give prospects a bit of an inside view of the Captain's brain housing group function.
A boat, 1,000 foot aircraft carrier or 16' Snipe, is a "small space". My belief is that a good crew is a group of people with disparate strengths and weaknesses who are able to work together. It seems simple and obvious, but, in practice, there can be a lot of confusion as to what this means. I am no credentialed "expert", but I have led groups of 200 men and women toward a common goal and been very successful - or I should say, can take credit for having the foresight to let people do what they do best, make sure they have the appropriate resources, and, generally, stay the f*ck out of their way in the process.

So a couple guidelines:
Communication:
1)be able to assertively speak your mind, even when it is not popular or convenient, even when there are "experts" saying otherwise. Why? The best solutions come from everyone's input. No one has all the best ideas. Experts are often wrong. The crew needs everyone's 2 cents. Sitting there and quietly disagreeing is a dis-service to self and crew.
2) Be able to assertively state likes, preferences, and what is important - "needs". This is "pleasure cruising". Most people want other people to be happy and fulfilled, so letting others understand what is important to me, helps others and avoids confusion and hurt feelings. "Silent desperation" can be in song lyrics and British households, but lets keep it off the boat.
Teamwork: on board, it is unavoidable for emotions and tensions to run high from time to time. The crew might be going East, when a particular crew member believes that West is the correct way to go. After discussion and arguing and all of that, some people will be "pissed off", angry, hurt, or even in fear. This is a time for "compartmentalization", because as hurt and angry as I might be, I am still a part of the crew and still must do my duties. I need to be able to "be mad" and also work with the person I am "mad at".

... now lets all hold hands and sing...
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 11:58   #17

Re: Florida-Bahamas-Caribbean-Azores 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
Crew-munity.... a philosophical adjunct to the technical sailing bits...
I am adding this post to give prospects a bit of an inside view of the Captain's brain housing group function.
A boat, 1,000 foot aircraft carrier or 16' Snipe, is a "small space". My belief is that a good crew is a group of people with disparate strengths and weaknesses who are able to work together. It seems simple and obvious, but, in practice, there can be a lot of confusion as to what this means. I am no credentialed "expert", but I have led groups of 200 men and women toward a common goal and been very successful - or I should say, can take credit for having the foresight to let people do what they do best, make sure they have the appropriate resources, and, generally, stay the f*ck out of their way in the process.

So a couple guidelines:
Communication:
1)be able to assertively speak your mind, even when it is not popular or convenient, even when there are "experts" saying otherwise. Why? The best solutions come from everyone's input. No one has all the best ideas. Experts are often wrong. The crew needs everyone's 2 cents. Sitting there and quietly disagreeing is a dis-service to self and crew.
2) Be able to assertively state likes, preferences, and what is important - "needs". This is "pleasure cruising". Most people want other people to be happy and fulfilled, so letting others understand what is important to me, helps others and avoids confusion and hurt feelings. "Silent desperation" can be in song lyrics and British households, but lets keep it off the boat.
Teamwork: on board, it is unavoidable for emotions and tensions to run high from time to time. The crew might be going East, when a particular crew member believes that West is the correct way to go. After discussion and arguing and all of that, some people will be "pissed off", angry, hurt, or even in fear. This is a time for "compartmentalization", because as hurt and angry as I might be, I am still a part of the crew and still must do my duties. I need to be able to "be mad" and also work with the person I am "mad at".

... now lets all hold hands and sing...
Captain, my Captain. I think I can meet all the above quirks, reponsibilities and requests. Brad
lefttheoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 11:05   #18

🏴*☠️🥳🏴*☠️ Pirate Party update!

Thank God and Baby Jesus, the insurance problem is solved.
Seaworthiness upgrades continue.
Here is an adjusted General Sail Plan to consider, along with some information on open crew spots:

ADJUSTED General sail plan: Subject to change, travel restrictions, and all of that stuff on-going:
Before Christmas 2021: 3-4 day, outside sail from North Florida (Jax) to South Florida (Ft Laud). This is a short, fun but challenging sail south along the coast of Florida, staying out of the Gulf Stream, and staying off the beach .
Open spots for 1/2 experienced sailors. Embark Jacksonville, FL. Disembark, via Dinghy, South Port Raw Bar, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Early January 2022.
South Florida, Fort Lauderdale, waiting for a weather window and then across to the Bahamas (if they are open). The Crossing is usually an overnight sail - short, but intense, especially if you have never done it. When the water turns deep blue, it is a powerful thing. I am listing this as a separate leg, even though it seems like crew would stay on and enjoy the Bahamas. Embark: South Port Raw Bar, Ft. Lauderdale by dinghy. Disembark, if desired, at West End or Nassau, Bahamas.
Open spots: 2 experienced sailors. 1 rookie/novice

Mid-January to Mid February, 2022- very much weather dependent: Island hopping in the Bahamas - short sails between anchorages, snorkeling, fishing, making fun of the power boaters; keeping an eye out for winter storms, exploring the islands by foot, sampling local rum... this is very good training ground for novice sailors with often contrary winds, tidal action, depth changes on and off the bank, visual navigation requirements, anchoring techniques. Short day sails keep the stress intensity down, and beer when the anchor is down
Open spots: 2 experienced sailors. 1 rookie/novice.
**** Check in fee. When we arrive in Bahamas, each person needs cash on hand to pay the check in fee. The Bahamas website is a bit vague. It lists fees for each boater, but lists the fee schedule by size of boat. Maybe $100 USD will cover the fee, but be prepared for it to be more.

Late February, 2022. Bahamas to Caribbean. We will go "up and over", so this is a mini-ocean passage with 11 - 14 days of water sailing">blue water sailing, east from North of the Bahamas, and then South to the Caribbean. This leg has the feel and challenges of an ocean passage, while still being fairly close to land. Lots of open water and large groups of Dolphins to see on occasion, with some decent fishing.
Embark, if not already on board, Nassau, Bahamas. Disembark, St. Martin.
Open spots: 2 experienced sailors. 1 rookie/novice
**** check in fee likely due on arrival to the Caribbean.

March - mid April, 2022. On anchor and island hopping in the Caribbean. Ah, the sweet life. Plenty of time on the hook. Inter-island day sails. Exploring and enjoying island life. God willing, we will be there for Carnivale on one or more of these islands. Embark, Determined by boat location/weather. Disembark, if not crossing, St Martin.
Open spots: 2 experienced sailors. 2 rookie/novice. ***** this is a situation where it is very easy for people to fly in, come on board for a week or two, and fly out. For folks with short time availability, this is a good spot. A week is about the minimum time to spend. 10-14 days is better.

Mid- April - May 2022. As weather permits: Atlantic crossing, St Martin to Horta, Azores. We will wait for weather patterns to stabilize over the Atlantic, so flexibility and a deep sense of "island time" is key to a stress free experience. 21-28 days at sea. Bring all your gear and a creative cooking attitude. There will only be "ceremonial" alcohol consumption during the passage. We will open a bottle for birthdays and mid-way points and so forth. Otherwise, she is a dry ship. I realize this prohibition is draconian and very un-piratelike, but safety trumps everything. We will get drunk as hell at Pete's Sports Bar once we arrive.
Embark: St Martin. Disembark, Horta, Azores.
Open spots: 2 experienced sailors. 1 rookie/novice.
The Azores are frickin' awesome. We might never want to leave. We will stay two weeks. Maybe 3.

June 2022. Crossing from Azores to Europe. We'll make our way to the Keil canal, and then make our way in to the Baltic for a nice, three-day-drunk, Midsommar Party.

Please review these changes. If it works for you, then lets talk, and if we have already talked, please help me keep in touch with you and confirm the leg/legs that you are interested in.
Old 22-11-2021, 11:29   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380

Jax; as in St John's Boat Yard? I did my last hauling there. Not sure i'd pick it again tho.

but OK, this will be useful. You need to have a NEG PCR covid result within 5 days of arrival at a POE. I tried 7 days and it cost me over $200 and a day. So, that means CVS in Ft Lauderdale, likely for your crew. On line, fill out the Bahamas health visa, $40 each. If all vaccinated, you won't need any further in-country testing, otherwise every 5 days. Departures by air will also demand a very recent PCR test, even if vaccinated. Its a minefield of new rules. Of course, customs is $300. more if > 4 POB. On land, there are cops driving "covid cars", and they have ticket books. Masks in public, including outdoor gatherings. I saw my last car at the BEACH.
I've done 2 Bah. trips since Aug. DTOPs sticker expires Dec 31.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 12:21   #20

That is good intel!
Thanks
Old 23-11-2021, 06:43   #21

Boat: Previously owned a Tayana 37

These may be handy to have as well.
https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 14:07   #22
JMR

Hi

Interested in the Atlantic Crossing legs.
Experienced sailor with multiple ocean crossings and long passages.
Easy to get along with. Always respectful, thoughtful, considerate, and helpful.

Also appreciate a captain who is intent on everyone having a safe, enjoyable and fun experience, and who has the wisdom to make it happen. Sounds like you from this thread.

Please contact me at jackmruben@yahoo.com

Thanks
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 11:23   #23

Boat: ChrisCraft,Connie,37ft

PM to you from Jacksonville sailor who used to deliver Morgans and CSY's.
The last three old Morgans I have seen have looked a little weary so I guess CSY is moved up to top cruising boat for the price and accommodations. Gotta love that table rig.
Old 27-11-2021, 13:24   #24

Ahoy ahoj,

Quick check in here. I will follow up with all new messages and interested crew prospects after the 29th. I am a bit "under water" with boat preparations until then. ...

I will reply to messages and hopefully set up phone calls for 29 and 30 November.
Old 27-12-2021, 19:01   #25

Ahoy ahoy!
I hope all had a great Christmas and continue to enjoy the holiday season.

Wooooo! 2022

Here is an update:
10 January - ish. Getting this girl back in the water.
- installing new standing rigging. 7-10 days of work.

End of January - Making way for the Bahamas.

February - island hopping in the Bahamas.

Late Feb - making way to the Caribbean.

Crew spots are available with preference for some experience.
Rookies with good attitude, energy and other skills considered.

Get in where ya fit in
Old 05-05-2022, 10:11   #26

Ahoy,
your trip sounds like I want to join for the trip US to the Azores or further.
Are you already under way ?

About me:
male, age 56, sailing since age 12, app. 1500 miles coastal experience as captain on 36-42' ships, much experience in sailing smaller boats on rivers, inland and coast, sail trainer in sailing club. I play the guitar (do not know if this helps for sailing, but sure is fun)

I am currently in Cartagena, Colombia. As the ship I originally wanted to board I did not consider seaworthy I am searching for a possibility to do the transatlantic cruise, and your description sounds really what I am looking for.

Please let me know if the schedule fits, would be glad to join the crew.

You could email me directly or contact me via this forum:
mbk at markusriester.com

Thanks and all the best, Markus
markries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Markus.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:07   #28

Boat: 30 ft sailboat

Try try and try again! I would like to talk to you about this my email is twoodin@yahoo.com we can exchange numbers. I would be available.

Thank you
Tony
twoodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Markus.
Hi Gord,
my schedule could fit the Azores to Europe leg of the trip, could be flexible boarding in Horta. Glad to learn how the trip evolves and when this leg will start.

THX, Markus
markries is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, Bahamas, Caribbean, florida, rib