Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2022, 16:00   #1

Boat: 1968 Morgan 24
Florida to Bahamas (Eleuthera vacation compensation)

Hello all, I am planning on sailing my 1968 Morgan 24' (the Voodoo Clam) down to the island of Eleuthera from southern Florida at the end of may/ beginning of June. I bought her a couple years back and have only sailed her long(ish) distance twice with assistance from my dad. We sailed from the Connecticut river up the New England coast and across to Marthas vineyard where I lived off a mooring ball for the summer with a friend of mine. I grew up sailing on a lake as a kid, but am not an experienced ocean sailer.

I would be looking for someone who is comfortable in open water, has done long distance journeys before, and is willing to teach! the journey to Eleuthera would likely be with myself and my boyfriend who has only been on a sailboat once in his life. given the boat is only 24 feet, living quarters will be quite a close environment so the ideal candidate will be alright with that.

As far as compensation goes, I don't have much money to my name, however I will be able to offer a free week-long stay in a beachfront property on Eleuthera once we arrive. the property is stunning, surrounded with coconut and other fruit trees, there is a tennis court, sea kayaks, only a minutes walk to a secluded Bahamian beach (light pink sand!), equipped with running water, electricity, AC, WIFI, and all that jazz. if you have any questions about myself, the boat or the journey please ask away!
VoodooClamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 17:50   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Florida to Bahamas (Eleuthera vacation compensation)

You know, this isn't really a long distance journey. With all the usual caveats regarding a gulf stream crossing (not to be disregarded), you have a 48nm crossing from Miami to Bimini, and then island hopping across the Banks to Eleuthera. Pick favorable weather windows, especially for that first leg, and any experienced lake sailor will be just fine. Just don't disrespect the weather, especially crossing the stream.

I wish I could accompany you, another time in my life I'd have done this without hesitation!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 18:36   #3

Boat: 1968 Morgan 24

thanks for your input Pete. I am well aware that the journey is not considerably long distance, however it will be much longer than anything I've done before, it would be nice to have an experienced set of hands to guide me through it all. but I appreciate your comment as it makes me realize that I should have clarified, while I am looking to improve my general sailing skills, I am more so hoping to find someone that can help with navigation, as well as the ins and outs of finding places to stay, anchoring, weather watching, safety protocols, etc.

if you know anyone that may be up for it- send em my way!
VoodooClamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 18:41   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

To put it in perspective, it’s not too much more than cape cod canal to down East Maine. By the time you get to Florida, you’ll be experienced enough to cross. Plus, there is usually a fleet crossing during favorable weather to buddy boat with.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 19:17   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Well if you don't get any takers and you want some specific advice remotely let me know. I've not done that exact route before but there's no real mystery. Good luck!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 07:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Voodoo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 13:21   #7

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Where are you located now?

When do you plan to depart?

Stu@shearwater-sailing.com

US CG master Retired, ASA instructor Retired

About ready for an open water salil
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 16:58   #8

It is a very easy crossing . I am sure that the two of you can manage it. Give it a try and I am sure that you will enjoy the experience.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 05:35   #9

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

Voodoo. I sent you a PM
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 05:39   #10

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive

Sign up with Coboaters’s.com. It is a site for you to find crew and for crew to find boats.
It is fairly new but is pretty good. I believe they have a special going on, 6 months free so that should help you.
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 07:43   #11

You emphasized navigation, anchoring etc. Sounds like you just need a buddy-boat (with a patient captain, empathetic to your plight) and a working radio, lol. Also a good idea to review equipment you might not have had in the past: EPIRB, chartplotter (even a $150 Samsung tablet [with GPS] from Best Buy and download the free Argo app). Of course do not forget things like extra fuel filters, etc, maybe find a "coastal cruising equipment checklist" to review. If your boyfriend has minimal sailing experience, it might be advisable to find a 3rd crew member with some experience. Good luck.
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, florida, vacation