Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2022, 08:41   #1

Boat: Hunter 37
Florida to Belize

I bought 37ft yacht. Fixed lots of major problems and still working on smaller issues. Looking for experienced person to go to Caribbean vicinity for a month or so. No solid plans at this moment. Boat is in the marina near Niceville.
Long term plan to travel to Europe. I'm Eastern European and would love to sail towards Europe. But I don't feel ready skilled wise and boat might show some flaws on this shorter trip.
I only had short training courses and small trips on somebody else boats.
jgalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:38   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Florida to Belize

The N Gulf Coadt from New Orleans to Pt. St. Joe is good cruising ground. A bit futher south, the West coast of Florida is a great cruising ground. So, you are in a good area to build some exeprience already. I suggest taking advantage of that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 13:05   #3

I'm Canadian and have to get out before 6mnths stay is expired. Also don't do covid vaccination, which is required for Canadian to be in the US. So most likely the best approach is to head south. Otherwise absolutely agree: coasting Florida would be my best strategy. Actually I don't care where to go at this point, but seems I have lots of support in Belize and know the place. I stated refit this boat for ocean/autonomous living but 2 months is not enough for changing coastal cruiser to autonomous vessel. Most of equipment are stand alone , quick fix items . But in my vision they suppose to be integrated in more systematic approach.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:25   #4

I think coastal Mexico looks good too. So I will try to change this ad to include Canon or Chetumal.
Old 11-04-2022, 15:42   #5

Are you still in Florida, and need crew? I've sailed from Pensacola to Isla Mujeres. Lived on sailboats. Crewed from Costa Rica to the Galapagos, etc. Retired pilot. I'm available. I'll split the food cost.
GulfcoastFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 17:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfcoastFl View Post
Are you still in Florida, and need crew? I've sailed from Pensacola to Isla Mujeres. Lived on sailboats. Crewed from Costa Rica to the Galapagos, etc. Retired pilot. I'm available. I'll split the food cost.
Just sent you private message.

Tags
Belize, cancun, Chetumal, florida, Mexico