Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 09:25   #1
GCA

Boat: 1985 Beneteau Idylle 1350
Fort Lauderdale to Virgin Islands Jan

Hello all, I am relocating to the Caribbean and am seeking 2 crew for the delivery down. I intend to take the I-65 route on the first available favorable wx window preferably early January.

The vessel is a 43’ 1985 Beneteau Idylle. She was re-rigged 1 year ago, engine rebuilt last year as well. I have a 1y/o offshore life raft, an Epirb, and a garmin InReach for unlimited text messages, and on which I will arrange for wx updates. I run with jack lines, and require crew clipped in on deck. This is my family home so I’ve made a great bit of effort to ensure she is sound and seaworthy(ie: throughhulls, keelbolts, chainplates replaced).

I’ve been a licensed motoryacht captain for 14 years, but it has been a while since I made any significant offshore sailing trips. That said, I have around 6k nm of ocean sailing from past deliveries on boats from 30’-45’. I am 38 and have two small children and am not interested in taking undue risks.

I need two crew to assist. One ideally would have some experience under sail, the second can be a bit more green. I’d request that both have at least been to sea and are aware if they are vulnerable to incapacitating sea-sickness.
Obviously personality comes into it, I prefer a good mix of laid back and adventurous!

I can provide travel, provisions, port fees etc. a bonus for the right crew could be negotiated.

Anyone interested?

Geoff.
GCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 09:50   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Fort Lauderdale to Virgin Islands Jan

Hmm, tempting but it can rough passage.
You read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu.../dp/0944428797
Old 27-12-2018, 10:42   #3
GCA

Thank you Csy man! I’ve read Van Sant and Virgintinos guides through and through, and have done the route under power a few times. I prefer to offshore with a delivery crew and fly my wife and kids to St Thomas as I only have 4 months available and rather not spend a significant portion of that time rehashing the Bahamas, T&C, DR and PR. We are really eager to spend our time making our way down the Leewards!
Old 27-12-2018, 18:02   #4

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

Hi Geoff!

Yes, I'm interested. PM sent.
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:30   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCA View Post
Thank you Csy man! I’ve read Van Sant and Virgintinos guides through and through, and have done the route under power a few times. I prefer to offshore with a delivery crew and fly my wife and kids to St Thomas as I only have 4 months available and rather not spend a significant portion of that time rehashing the Bahamas, T&C, DR and PR. We are really eager to spend our time making our way down the Leewards!
Yeah, I thought you have read the book and been there done that.
Check your in-box..
Old 27-12-2018, 19:14   #6
GCA

Hi all, processing reply’s and battling toddlers but will get back to everyone in the am. Thanks for the replies!
Old 28-12-2018, 08:29   #7

I would be very interested, will PM you.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:30   #8

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

If you have not done so already, read Tor Pinney's prescription. That's the way I'd go. Google to find it.

FLORIDA TO THE CARIBBEAN - THE DELIVERY SKIPPERS' ROUTE
© 2011/2014 Tor Pinney - All Rights Reserved
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:45   #9

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos

I want to go too but have to leave Jan 2. If we bring enough fuel to get above St. T and sail in.
Tor Pinney's article "Florida to the Caribbean"
Florida to the Caribbean – Blue Water Sailing
Is an excellent read.
Old 28-12-2018, 09:07   #10

I've sailed boats from east coast ports to the islands a number of times, but darn if I know what the "I-65" is: could someone enlighten me, please?
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:25   #11

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
I've sailed boats from east coast ports to the islands a number of times, but darn if I know what the "I-65" is: could someone enlighten me, please?
The 65th meridian (65W). A route that involves sailing/motoring East from Florida above the trades and then South on 65W. (see the Tor Pinney discussion above)
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:23   #12

Boat: Hylas 54

Ha. We are doing exactly the same , leaving Monday from Ft lauderdale heading to Tortola. weather looking favorable at the moment. This is the second time we have done I65
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:07   #13
GCA

Hobiehobie, I just spoke with Chris Parker and he was recommending getting n of Abacos, leaving on the 2nd ish. Looks like you are right on track!
Old 28-12-2018, 15:27   #14

I would be interested, sailed a 42 foot morgan from Md. to Keys and sail local charters here in Florida. Licensed 100 ton captain.
FlaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 11:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCA View Post
Hello all, I am relocating to the Caribbean and am seeking 2 crew for the delivery down. I intend to take the I-65 route on the first available favorable wx window preferably early January.

The vessel is a 43’ 1985 Beneteau Idylle. She was re-rigged 1 year ago, engine rebuilt last year as well. I have a 1y/o offshore life raft, an Epirb, and a garmin InReach for unlimited text messages, and on which I will arrange for wx updates. I run with jack lines, and require crew clipped in on deck. This is my family home so I’ve made a great bit of effort to ensure she is sound and seaworthy(ie: throughhulls, keelbolts, chainplates replaced).

I’ve been a licensed motoryacht captain for 14 years, but it has been a while since I made any significant offshore sailing trips. That said, I have around 6k nm of ocean sailing from past deliveries on boats from 30’-45’. I am 38 and have two small children and am not interested in taking undue risks.

I need two crew to assist. One ideally would have some experience under sail, the second can be a bit more green. I’d request that both have at least been to sea and are aware if they are vulnerable to incapacitating sea-sickness.
Obviously personality comes into it, I prefer a good mix of laid back and adventurous!

I can provide travel, provisions, port fees etc. a bonus for the right crew could be negotiated.

Anyone interested?

Geoff.
Hi Geoff
I’m interested - based in Edinburgh, I have Day Skipper and I’m halfway through Yachtmaster Coastal. Would my location be a problem?

Thanks
Frank
Frankieirish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, Virgin Islands