Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2018, 17:23   #16

Boat: 1984 Merit 25
Re: Gay sail Phuket Thailand from Philippines Fall 2018

But would you accept Jesus Freaks? And let them be as openly Christian as you display your openly "Gayness"?

Just curious.

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 17:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaarrgh View Post
But would you accept Jesus Freaks? And let them be as openly Christian as you display your openly "Gayness"?

Just curious.

Aarrrgh!
By Christian do you mean someone who attributes their ethics to a religious base, practices "love thy neighbour as thyself" and subscribes to the four cardinal and three theological virtues?

Or are you talking about those intolerant, bible-thumping do-gooders we see far too often?

Personally, I would be more interested in knowing if a crew I was thinking about joining were "Jesus Freaks" than if they were gay.

I realise that to many narrow minded people, sexual orientation is a huge issue when relating to other people and so in fairness, the OP was correct to raise it.

Personally, I'm pretty tolerant until other people try to impose their beliefs on me and would have no problems crewing for the OP (and I also sail frequently with a muslim friend), but there's no way I could tolerate being crammed in with a bunch of proselytising Jesus Freaks, Vegans or Greenies.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:01   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
Why do you feel we are interested in your sexual practice? It's called sailing for a reason.
Are you familiar with the various meanings of "cruising" ?
Old 31-03-2018, 18:44   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Just curious.

Aarrrgh!
As long as they didn't spend the trip proselytizing or being holier than thou I would be fine with it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:57   #20

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Good post, totally appropriate and sets the expectations quite clearly.
Did I see a description of the boat you’re using?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:59   #21

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

60x40 Trimaran ?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 19:00   #22

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
By Christian do you mean someone who attributes their ethics to a religious base, practices "love thy neighbour as thyself" and subscribes to the four cardinal and three theological virtues?

Or are you talking about those intolerant, bible-thumping do-gooders we see far too often?

Personally, I would be more interested in knowing if a crew I was thinking about joining were "Jesus Freaks" than if they were gay.

I realise that to many narrow minded people, sexual orientation is a huge issue when relating to other people and so in fairness, the OP was correct to raise it.

Personally, I'm pretty tolerant until other people try to impose their beliefs on me and would have no problems crewing for the OP (and I also sail frequently with a muslim friend), but there's no way I could tolerate being crammed in with a bunch of proselytising Jesus Freaks, Vegans or Greenies.
Answers to your questions:
#1 No, but to strive to be "Christ-like". "Ethics" can sometimes be confused with Biblical principles and morals that can only be determined by asking oneself "What would Jesus do?"
#2 No. See answer to #1.

Comments on other ideas that you raise:

If you were in a violent storm at sea, and Jesus calmed the waters, winds, and your fears, would you "high five" the man who spoke about his sex life, or bow to the one who died for both of you?

It's not about religion, it's about relationship. Religion many times stands in the way of a meaningful relationships, and Jesus rebuked the "religious", and still does. I agree that narrow-minded people many times give weight to sexual orientation, when the eternal issue is HEART orientation. I did not state that the OP was not "correct" to raise it.

"Tolerant" - Not much to say about that, except that we all choose what we will tolerate. But at what distance?

Jesus calls me to Love the person (neighbor), as myself, hate the sin, and "resist the Devil" that tempts each of us.

I agree that I would not be at all comfortable with the kinds of people you described, but if I found myself there, I would do my best to Love them, also.

I think you may have added an unfortunate description. I did not include "proselytising Jesus Freaks" in my post. That term refers to someone who would compel others to join their congregation, or group. Some Jesus Freaks might have that goal, and I would not want to be counted as one of them, nor would I want to be stuck on a boat with one of them. But, Jesus died for them, too.

Thank you for challenging me to clarify my question. But, with all due respect, the question was not asked of you, but of the OP. Maybe you can urge him to reply.

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 19:01   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think it would be fair to let any prospective crew know that in malaysia ,being gay is illegal,homosexual acts are illegal,as is oral sex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Malaysia

any crew should also aware that they may be inadvertently breaking the law for much of this cruise though borneo and malaysia,which though tolerant,are very conservative muslim countries ,a crew member on an openly gay cruise would be seen as a facilitator,along with the captain of the vessel if the law was broken.

i also find it hard to belive that the malaysian government would issue a charter licence for this vessel,given its stated intent,so the chances are the vessel is operating illegally any way.

i have nothing againts gay people,but unfortunatly not all the world holds our liberal values as we do
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 19:42   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"What would Jesus do"
If you were in a violent storm at sea, and Jesus calmed the waters, winds, and your fears, would you "high five" the man who spoke about his sex life, or bow to the one who died for both of you?
That perfectly illustrates my point. You pre-suppose that I subscribe to your belief, ascribe an improvement in weather to some dubious cause and expect me to unquestionly accept your false premise.
Old 31-03-2018, 23:02   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think it would be fair to let any prospective crew know that in malaysia ,being gay is illegal,homosexual acts are illegal,as is oral sex.

any crew should also aware that they may be inadvertently breaking the law for much of this cruise though borneo and malaysia,which though tolerant,are very conservative muslim countries ,a crew member on an openly gay cruise would be seen as a facilitator,along with the captain of the vessel if the law was broken.

i also find it hard to belive that the malaysian government would issue a charter licence for this vessel,given its stated intent,so the chances are the vessel is operating illegally any way.

i have nothing againts gay people,but unfortunatly not all the world holds our liberal values as we do
Atoll, if this is correct, and your interpretation of the culture with it, then it is not a safe place to crew on a trip of the proposed sort, plain and simple. Beaut cruising grounds, but I wouldn't touch it.

Ann
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Ignore the one responder who apparently finds references to sexual orientation uncomfortable.

The content of your post was entirely appropriate.
I agree, the thread is open again. Perhaps we can leave the religious slant out of this thread, it serves no purpose. The OP has made it quite clear who the target clients are.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:32   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I'm glad the thread has been re-opened as it allows me to correct the above statement.

AFAIK, being gay is not illegal anywhere in the world. While you can make certain activities illegal, you can't legislate thoughts/feelings.

Quote:
any crew should also aware that they may be inadvertently breaking the law for much of this cruise though borneo and malaysia,which though tolerant,are very conservative muslim countries ,a crew member on an openly gay cruise would be seen as a facilitator,
Pure supposition!

Quote:
along with the captain of the vessel if the law was broken.
Highlight for emphasis.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:40   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm glad the thread has been re-opened as it allows me to correct the above statement.

AFAIK, being gay is not illegal anywhere in the world. While you can make certain activities illegal, you can't legislate thoughts/feelings.

Pure supposition!

Highlight for emphasis.
regardless of feelings here is the law in malaysia,from the link i supplied.

Malaysia retains its colonial era criminal ban on sodomy (as well as oral sex), broadly defined to include both heterosexual and homosexual acts, with possible punishment including fines, prison sentences of up to twenty years, and even corporal punishment. A subsection of the Criminal Code also provides additional punishment for men convicted of "gross indecency with another male person".[2] In addition to the secular law, Muslim citizens may also be charged in special Islamic courts.[3]

Commercial Chartering without a licence,would also be breaking the law
Old 01-04-2018, 03:55   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I agree, the thread is open again. Perhaps we can leave the religious slant out of this thread, it serves no purpose. The OP has made it quite clear who the target clients are.

Pete
i was surprised ann closed the thread,as my intention in posting the comment was to highlight the fact that the op may be inciting an innocent crew member to become involved in a well documented illegal activity in malaysia,and for the record,singapore as well.

i guess ann saw it as" by proxy" Cruisers Forum would also be seen to be promoting an illegal operation/activity in malaysia and singapore.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:45   #30

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

My wife and our partner are both (mostly) lesbian, so choice of travel destination always highly ranks LGBT friendliness. Of those places, some parts of Indonesia and these days, certainly most of Malaysia, is firmly off our itinerary. Philippines I don't know, but mostly christian does not = tolerance always for me.

Whether or not you can be PROVEN / caught in the act of being gay is up to the individual who is watching you or saw someone holding hands or looking a certain way. It is absolutely something the OP needs to consider as does any crew looking to sign up. They can and do put gay people in jails officially in some parts of that area, and even if they don't, the opinion of the general population is negative enough that we don't care about officialdom at all.... a few drunk locals can really ruin your day entirely off the books. Interestingly, traveling in some more laid back muslim countries gets me a lot of compliments on my 'wives'
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gay, Philippines, sail, Thailand