Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2021, 21:18   #1

Getting started

Hello all. i am located in Southern Ontario, Canada. I am looking to learn to sail. 46 and a fast learner with hands on experience. I have never sailed but have owned a power boat for several years. I have been reading and soaking up what I can but eventually would love to get onboard and do a cruise or outings with experienced people to learn more.

Is there a chance anyone is looking for a totally inexperienced crew member?

I am very good at fixing almost anything mechanical. I am a licensed diesel mechanic, fixed up cars, boats, snowmobiles, tractors, excavators homes and lots more also have done plumbing and electrical. I stay calm under pressure listen well, can take criticism and admit when I'm wrong.
Coldcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:19   #2

Re: Getting started

You sound like a real catch, CC. Are you perhaps single?

Haha and Welcome aboard!

Just for an fyi, remember it's a bit at the end of the season for us here. A lot of boats will probably be all crewed-up for the rest of the season or they'll be hauling in a couple of months (generally October).

Is there a Club near you where you could join as a social member? Or go to a nearby marina and walk the docks looking to see if someone is going out alone and might like an extra pair of hands...?

In any case, don't give up. You'll be able to get a ride at some point, I'm sure.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 07:01   #3

Yes I am single 😙 Would love to meet someone who is open to sailing the world eventually!! For now baby steps lol.

I did look into sailing lessons but they are cancelled due to covid. I am considering just going out and buying a smallish boat and heading out to learn . Just dont want to waste money right away

Good idea on strolling the marina. Now how to do it without looking like a stalker...
Old 23-08-2021, 08:44   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Welcome to the forum, from a formerly cold Canuck
We are from Alberta, actually home visiting right now, and bought our current boat in southern Ontario (Whitby)
Little wings suggestions are a great way to get some experience and to meet some sailors. Even if you just build some contacts for next season.
You are in a great place to learn. I recommend getting out on as many different boats as possible before buying your own.. learn what you like and prefer. And most of all..... Have fun!

Oh, and how to walk the docks without looking like a stalker, carry a six-pack of beer. You will blend right in and its Canadian currency for a daysail[emoji482]
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 17:35   #5

Thanks chris mac. Great idea! I think I may have to do some laundry and cruise the docks this weekend!