Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2022, 14:19   #16

Re: Halifax to Puerto Rico

Canada (and Bermuda) hold a special place with US Immigration:

Quote:
In most circumstances, Canadian citizens do not require visitor, business, transit or other visas to enter the United States, either from Canada or from other countries. There are, however, some exceptions to this situation. These exceptions (and the visa category they require) include:..source
Quote:
Canadian citizens generally do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying. However, all Canadians entering the U.S. by air require passports, and Canadians entering the U.S. by land or sea must have a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant travel document.
(Note no mention of commercial vs. recreational sea travel).

Canadians don't even need a passport to enter the US by sea if their driver's license is of the 'enhanced' variety meeting the requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...vel-initiative.

Don't know about PR in particular, but for common border crossings Canadians can get an I-68 for each person on board at their first entry and thereafter travel back-and-forth for a year with just a phone call to the entry port.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 15:03   #17

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Not sure Canadian sailors (proof of citizenship) really need a visa, does not make any sense, we cross the border with Canada both ways every day.

I read this and somehow seems there is no need for a visa.

I will be sailing into Nova Scotia this season and do not intend to apply for a visa and viceversa a Canadian sailor sailing his own private boat cannot imagine in need of a visa, just follow the guidelines as noted on this official notice.

http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/HydroSurveys/
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 16:29   #18

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Van View Post
Hi Mickand, could you let me know if you are a Canadian citizen with permanent residency in Canada? My understanding is that visa restrictions do not apply in this case. I have a question in to the US CBP but response will take a few days. If you are a Canadian citizen with permanent residency in Canada and still had to get the B2, I'll have to rethink my destination.
Wow, you got a lot of negative responses... Welcome to Cruiser's forum.

I'm a Canadian, on a Canadian boat, presently in the USA. Speaking only for the continental USA (because I don't know if they treat Puerto Rico differently), you don't need pre-approval if you and your crew are Canadian, the boat's Canadian, as we are. Have your passports, and boat papers in order.

We arrived from the Bahamas March 20, no issues. We arrived last September, from Canada, with a commercial reason to be in the USA (During covid, boaters required a commercial reason, not pleasure). We had no issues.

Call the customs office in Puerto Rico, and see what they want you to have. Don't assume all customs offices have the same requirements, there's always room for interpretation of the rules, and each office does their best to do what they think is right for their region.

Have a nice trip. We always liked the Vancouver 32, she's a skookum boat.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 06-04-2022, 16:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Not sure Canadian sailors (proof of citizenship) really need a visa, does not make any sense, we cross the border with Canada both ways every day.

I read this and somehow seems there is no need for a visa.

I will be sailing into Nova Scotia this season and do not intend to apply for a visa and viceversa a Canadian sailor sailing his own private boat cannot imagine in need of a visa, just follow the guidelines as noted on this official notice.

http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/HydroSurveys/
Let me be the first to wish you a good trip to Nova Scotia. If you see GRIT, please stop by to say hello. We'll be spending most of our time in PEI, but will be several weeks in Nova Scotia.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 06-04-2022, 16:53   #20

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thank you very much Grit
Missed PEI in 2019,did not have enough time,left with the first snow! then have to wait out the last 2,
spent too much time in the Armdale Yatch Club!!!
This time, plan to leave earlier and have more time to visit PEI.
take care
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 18:48   #21

In case you're interested in a little rally/racing fun.

www.peiwaterfrontfestival.com

They're working on ratings for cruising boats. It'll likely be something pretty simple, like first over the line from 30-35, 35-40, etc... Maybe some booby prizes for different things. It's very hard to rate boats that are cruising. Unless you want to race under phrf, which is how the serious racers are going to race.

Several races to choose from, or just rally between Charlottetown, and Summerside, enjoying the parties as they happen.

We'll be in Summerside most of the summer, and are participating in the 'Round the Island Race (about 320 miles), as Multihull cruisers. They're waiting to see how many cruising boats they get before deciding how to rate them. It's all in fun anyway, unless you're planning to race PHRF, then it's fairly serious fun!

Cheers David.
I hope we'll see you somewhere, up there.

Paul.
Old 06-04-2022, 19:21   #22

Boat: 1997 Hunter 376

Wow.. try posting a link next time, ridiculously long post
Seasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:19   #23

Thanks Heywood.
Mark Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:21   #24

Thanks Paul!
Old 08-04-2022, 08:24   #25

Thanks David.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
What is your experience (and of the other member), How long have you had this vessel? Do you have AIS? Do you have a water maker? When has the life raft been inspected? How are you getting weather reports? What are your intentions about crossing the gulf steam ? What have you done to the motor in anticipation for the passage? How much fuel will get us how far? What does your contingency plans look like?
The planned route is down 65 long (contingent on wind and current) with a stop in Bermuda. I've had the boat three years, brought it over from the UK in Spring 2019, but haven't seen her since due to Covid restrictions, so there is some uncertainty about what needs to be done. As with all things in life, and particularly sailing, I hope for the best, but will deal with things as I find them. Experience wise, between us, we have an Atlantic crossing, small boat experience, and some Caribbean sailing.

I have AIS reception but not broadcast, so yes, we have to watch out for people such as ourselves out there (among other things).

The life raft will be inspected before departure, and replaced if necessary.

Weather reports and advice will come via inReach from someone shore based.

The motor, after three years, will obviously need attention before departure. I'm hoping it will need less rather than more.

In addition to the fuel tank I carry jerry cans of diesel. We can also wait for wind. The balancing act of fuel, food, water, and energy is a known concern. There is no water maker (due to the "energy" part of this equation).

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Gulf Stream.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:35   #27

US Customs got back to me (I'm impressed with their efficiency), for anyone interested:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

1. Canadian citizens do not need a visa for most travel to the US. You can enter the US by private boat with a valid passport or other approved ID.

Pleasure Boats Flyers
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-flyers

CBP Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...tions/pr-us-vi

2. The US borders are open to children less than 18 years old, vaccinated adults, people with a medical exemption, US citizens, and US permanent residents.

You do not need a COVID test to enter the US by sea unless the rules change again.

CBP-coronavirus (COVID-19) -Traveling from Canada or Mexico Frequently Asked Questions
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

Temporary Restriction of Travelers Crossing US-Canada and Mexico Land Borders for Non-Essential Purposes
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

CDC: COVID 19 Testing and International Air Travel
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Regards,

Mark
CBP Information Center

NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute reasonable care under the Informed Compliance guidelines.

The CBP Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time. We are closed on U.S. federal holidays. Our toll-free line within the United States is (877) 227-5511. International callers can reach us during our hours of operation by dialing 00+1+202-325-8000.

Tags
halifax, Puerto Rico