Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2023, 16:58   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Help me convince my family to live the lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingallday View Post
Sounds like you want someone to gift you a holiday. Especially when you say the Bahamas or Mexico - when you live in Florida.
that is what it sounds like to. me also. Plus this week long experiment teaches you the same amount of what living aboard a boat is like as renting a condo does about owning a house
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 17:33   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

"Help me convince my family to live the lifestyle".

You don't "convince".
Be the Alpha.
Get a cheap boat and a skipper's hat to wear at rakish angle.
Now you're the captain of your destiny.
You order them aboard.
"You will do this and you will like it."
"The floggings will continue until morale improves."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 26-02-2023, 18:17   #18

Steelbit sez: "I have longed to live off the grid for about two years now, but my Wife is afraid of the unknown."

Hm.. Sounds like some kinda mismatch - naivity pitted against rationalism :-)

"Living off the grid" takes a knack that is not native to modern man. It can be done, but it isn't easy. Living "off the grid" in a boat is even more difficult. And with two kiddywinks? Force the kiddies to spend time at sea when they'd rather spend it at the shopping centre seems to me to be a sure way to lose their respect.

If, Steelbit, you're not just having us on, go CHARTER a boat c/w skipper for a week and see if you can hack it :-)! You're right - doing so is expensive, but it puts you face-to-face with the reality of seafaring.

Oh - and pay attention to what Ann Cate told you in Post #12!

All the best. :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 19:48   #19

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelbitz92 View Post
We live in Florida, so ideally around the Bahamas or Mexico. Looking around Late June or July.

So timing is everything. June and July are egg frying in the pavement months, as well as mosquito and humidity months, and risk of hurricane.

I will advice to do a controlled weekend in March to April timeframe. Make it fun to sell the lifestyle. Reality sailing of a week or more can be traumatic for those who have never rough out out there.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 20:24   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Even a background of camping rough in the Rockies in Summer (thunder showers, etc.) while backpacking does not prepare someone for a life at sea. That comes from smaller bites on the ocean and re-hashing the fun that came in various moments. The ocean becomes familiar. It won't get better. The weather and the ocean do not take care of us like our boat does: they simply don't care, one way or another.

I think the post-race camaraderie helps teach you the fun of sailing, you commit to a crew and go out with them, and you enjoy a meal or two together... A pleasant way to spend time. I think it is a way better way to learn than classes. I've watched classes. You and your good lady could hire a sitter, and crew separately on beer can races so that she and you both learn from different skippers and crews. They will want to help you be better crew (so they win) and you get the self-confidence from seeing how you are improving.

Ann
Old 28-02-2023, 16:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

When we were getting interested we chartered a boat of the type we we’re interested in for a week with captain and his wife. We found out several things one of which was that the model of boat we thought we wanted was not going to work for us. After being aboard for a week we made a list of features that we felt we wanted and then looked for different size boat than what we had originally thought. We chartered in the Bahamas for a week then finished with a week in staniel key. Boat experience was ok. Staniel was very good and let us finish on a positive note. Yes it was expensive but we learned a lot about what we needed/ wanted in a boat. Don’t think you will find anyone with a boat big enough to host 4 plus the couple that are already on the boat without going charter. Even so that may mean that the boat is way bigger than what you would be buying and give you a false impression. Might think about doing it without the kids test out lifestyle for a week. Best of luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:50   #22

I would certainly be happy to talk to you about this. I have a 46' catamaran in Antigua for the winter and New York for the summer and could fit your family. Email me on jweyndling@msn.com
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelbitz92 View Post
Greetings awesome people,
Not sure if this is the place to post this but here goes. I am looking for an opportunity to spend about a week on boat with an experienced family. I have longed to live off the grid for about two years now, but my Wife is afraid of the unknown. Wondering if anyone would be willing to host a very inexperienced crew. We are hard workers and very eager to learn and can take directions well. It would be a family of 4. If interested in hosting would love to talk the logistics. We have priced this out for private charters', and it is way expensive to go that route. Please let me know.
I am going to be real with y’all// if you can’t afford to take a week charter with say virgin island sailing or Dsl .. you will not be able to live off the grid for more than six months.. It expensive sometimes and you must be able to earn your keep.. The learning curve is quicker achievable by doing the job on your one with a captain on a bareboat.. Check out Belize
MagicBeans55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:01   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot

look at you tube SV Oliluki and SV Zatara both have available cruising vacations on their boats.
Seapatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:23   #25
Marine Service Provider

You wrote "We have priced this out for private charters', and it is way expensive to go that route. Please let me know." I am here to please let you know. When you are ready to take on a real experience and spend some real money--and what better way would there be to really introduce to to what is really real, contact me whose real experiences will give you an exhausting, entertaining, informative and highly valuable family real experience on Chesapeake Bay on my boat. When you are ready to spend real money and see what it costs to own and operate a boat and what you are willing to give up in order to receive, contact me. You will not be disappointed. Follow your bliss. Build your castle in the air and build the keel down to the water; overweight the dream but temper it with real experience. I am not sure if qnyone currently living aboard with their family will take you on--it sounds like a weird reality show, but I hope it works.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:23   #26

Boat: Freedom 30

Another Option: Many Yachtclubs have "Club Boat" Programs that include learn to sail classes. you get certified and then you can take out boats for a fraction of the cost of owning a boat and without the repair hassels (or most of them anyway). good way to get ito it and see if everyone likes it + puts you around more experienced sailors to help point you in the right direction.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:42   #27

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

https://takemetheresailing.com - Charter, instruction, lifestyle. In Florida.
I have no association with the above business.
Slovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:43   #28

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

After they have a little experience, show Captain Ron on movie night.
Old 03-03-2023, 18:44   #29

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Have you considered a powerboat and trying a week or two inland? This would avoid offshore storms which can terrify kids and wives as well as experienced sailors and greatly dampen enthusiasm for future boating experiences. Kids get bored quickly (Are we there yet?) and may enjoy frequently stopping at different places along the ICW, the New York State Canal System, Great Lakes, Lake Champlain, the Finger Lakes, or the canals in Canada. A boat in the 40' range should provide sufficient room for a week or two for a family of four plus the captain. For just the family of four, a mid 30s powerboat can be large enough.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:16   #30

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to clarify, I’m not looking for a pampered vacation. I want the experience of all the intricacies. So if there is work to be done I am willing to be a gopher and absorb as much as I can from all of your experiences. I spent 12 years in the Navy so if you tell me to swab the deck I know how to do that. The kids are teenagers to adult so no childcare needed. I love all these suggestions so thanks for taking the time for advice.
Steelbitz92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family