Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 04:10   #1

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch
Horta to Stockholm and ports in between

Ahoj salty sailors, novices, and dreamers.
I am now in Horta, in Azores. That is Portugal, y'all.
I want to depart vicinity 27 July, sailing 12 days or so, for Roscoff, France. Quick stop for oysters and Champagne, and then 10 more days sailing on to Cuxhaven, Germany for another short stop.
Crew can hop-on /hop-off at any of these places.
From Cuxhaven, we go through the Kiel Canal in to the Baltic. Woooo!
We enjoy a wee bit of the archipelago and end of summer day-sailing. Then on to a marina.
This is short notice. Current crew roster is me and an experienced sailor woman from Germany who has already sailed from Horta to Cuxhaven. We have room for 1 or 2 more. Rookie to experienced.
Pack light. I have life jackets, safety harness, and tether for visiting crew. Bring good weather gear">foul weather gear.
The vessel: 1978 CSY Pilothouse Ketch. Just sailed from Jacksonville, Florida across the Atlantic in 24 days. She is strong, proud and stable at sea, sails at 7-8 knots with 15-18 knots of wind, and gets a bit more frisky with 20-25. She is well equipped. 125 gallons of fresh water. 100+ gallons of diesel. New standing rigging before leaving florida, some new running rigging. VHF, SSB, Garmin In Reach, Liferaft, EPIRB, Starlink High Performance internet, Chris Parker curated weather... decent galley with stove and oven. And a nice little karaoke system for those who are so inclined.

The Captain: 57 Year old man. Healthy, Energetic, non-snoring, non-smoking, non-drinking (mostly), guy who likes to sail. Benevolent pirate. Creative executive. Karaoke singer. Empathic. Participative leadership style. Pretty good cook. Likes spicy food and good coffee. Excellent, patient teacher, coach, trainer, demanding and particular about safety and operations.

45 years sailing experience aboard 16-52 foot sailboats. Yep, started young, with Dear Old Dad and Mom. Great Lakes, Eastern Pacific (San Diego area), Western Atlantic, Bahamas, with the majority of experience in the Bahamas, with many courses at the fictional, but very real, Hard Knocks Sailing Academy.
Skilled and experienced in all boat auxiliary power systems (motors y'all); Gas and Diesel, HVACR systems, electrical, plumbing, rigging, - there's nothing on the boat I can't fix (or throw away and replace ).
I love to snorkel and spear fish. I love to explore the local scene, meet the people and get in to the cultures of visited places, so I tend to be wandering type explorer. All day on a random beach, to me, is a good use of a day.

I have a rock solid personality, not easily ruffled, calm under pressure, and am easy going and laid back. At the same time, I have a loud, command voice (thank you Army), and can be very intense. The crazier sh*t gets, the more calm I become. Gaslighting Mother Nature for decades

I am not a doctor. That is my sister's gig. I am skilled at first aid, trained in CPR, first aid, recovery, and know how to treat many conditions.
I am also an excellent trainer/teacher and coach, so if you have no experience, but otherwise fit, lets talk. Don't count yourself out.

Ideal Crew qualities:
Galley friendly, coffee loving; creative cook, bold, brave, level headed, positive energy and attitude, a bit of a hippie, excellent communication abilities, in great health, non-smoking, not grossed out by fish guts, stable at sea, some experience with sailing preferred, a light packer, excellent problem solving skills, a cheerleader (and I don't mean pom poms and a short skirt, I mean a person who is excited and energetic when facing challenging tasks and not, how do you say in this country, be b*tchy about it). If you have very good organizational and packing skills, you get bonus points. On shore leave, live music, hanging out under the stars, exploring nature and different cultures are fun ways to explore the local scene. If you are more introverted, no problem. Someone needs to stay and babysit the boat too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	292260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3931.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	292261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9798.jpg