Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2021, 07:11   #31

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: husband needs captain, stuck in hampton, virginia.

well, I never dreamed this post would get the responses it did, but that is my fault for not being more detailed in my origional post. The only reason we can't move the boat is because we have to have 100 hours with a caotain before our insurance will allow us to.

We don't want to move our boat by ourselves and negate coverage. We have captains lined up, coming from charleston for the move from virginia to florida but wanted to have the new transmission installed and lines replaced prior to taking off. We just need to get the boat moved to Cobb's with a captain on board. It was moved to cobb's for the haulout and survey and driven back to cobbs so we didn't think it would be such a nightmare getting it back there toget this work done. We could have waited and had the work done in florida, but thought it was better to have the work done before we started.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 07:13   #32

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

sorry for mistype in previous post, it was driven back to salt pond where it is now.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 12:50   #33
Marine Service Provider

Please...get a tow and when the weather warms hire a training captain. Please send me a pm and I will happily speak with you and answer any questions about my services as a coach and consultant.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
when the weather warms hire a training captain.

Paul—- you USED TO BE my hero. No long underwear and heater deliveries???? [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 06:56   #35

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
My wife and I changed the transmission on our MD11C by ourselves. No biggie, just rigged some ratchet straps to support the weight and started removing bolts.
Actually did it 3 times. Pulled it and rebuilt it, put it back in and found it was leaking saltwater from the cooling jacket, pulled it and put in a used one, found out it had a shot foreward clutch, pulled it back out and replaced the input shaft with the one from the rusty one, put it back in and SUCCESS!
Now I'd like to get the other input shaft relined for a spare. Any suggestiones?
This is the correct answer IF you are really intending to cruise the Caribbean and beyond.

Also “no cord” so “no internet?” Pretty sure that can be solved at any gas station.

Get yourself up to Virginia. It’s going to be awhile ;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:06   #36

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
How did "competent captains" move sailboats prior to invention of internal combustion engines?
Lots of ways. Waiting for favorable winds. Towed by small row boats with impressed labor.

For the peanut gallery, getting out of Salt Ponds is tricky without an engine. Add a slip and a fairway and there really is no fair wind. Amphib traffic and security zone in Little Creek. The work dock and lift well at Cobb's is tricky also. Let's not even talk about the fuel dock when there is a big boat across the fairway. Cobb's to Salt Ponds and back is a lot of traffic. "It's just 15 miles" is from someone who hasn't driven around Hampton Roads.

I think there are two reasonable courses of action:

Drive the transmission to the boat. Expect to pay up to three hours of travel time. I don't remember ANY service capability at Salt Ponds Marina. That means bring a cart (the resort marina won't want you using theirs) and two techs. Have to coordinate doing major work with the marina and they may not like that. See the contract. Will need to use the boat boom as a crane so gear for rigging needs to be in hand. The logistics are a bigger deal than the actual work.

Buy super ultimate platinum TowboatUS coverage (which OP will want anyway), wait the 24 hour effectivity period, and have the boat towed to Cobb's. Coordinate with Cobb's to be sure there is room at the work dock and the fairway is clear for the towboat to swing you in. The folks at Cobb's are outstanding and will shift heaven and Earth for you. They certainly have for me.

It's very possible the boat could be moved under power since the survey didn't show issues but the fluid analysis did. You could change the fluid and risk it. I wouldn't but you could. There are just too many things to go wrong. I agree with @Snore - any delivery guy that would do that is suspect.

As it happens I'll be in Little Creek Tuesday morning for fuel, water, and to wait for weather (never miss an opportunity to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, top up fuel and water, pump out, or charge something) before heading offshore to Fort Lauderdale. For me to get up to Salt Ponds, flush and refill the trans, and move the boat starts to look like $750. I won't do it - the number is just for comparison to $179 for an annual TowboatUS policy. Get the towing policy.

For OP - the Little Creek TowboatUS base runs out of Lynnhaven. My experience with them has been outstanding. I have cell phone numbers, but the real answer is to get the policy, download the app, and use the app to call dispatch for a dock to dock tow. Call Cobb's and tell them you're coming and ask for guidance; tell dockmaster Dave that Dave on Auspicious sent you. Call Action and tell them you're coming. I recommend a fresh pot of coffee to offer to the towboat captain. A bag of cookies would not go amiss. The towboat captain will remind you also - lock the wheel on your boat unless he specifically tells you differently (he may coming out of Salt Ponds).

Oh - someone get hubby a charging cable.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:32   #37

Boat: Leopard 40

Contact the Chesapeake Area Captain's Association:
https://capca.net/
They should be able to provide contact info for a captain.
sailor1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:11   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ok, so some confusion here

They HAVE a working engine, they just need to move the boat 15 miles to the new place, which they can't do solo as their insurance won't cover them.

They are looking for a licensed captain to come and do it for them. All the transmission stuff is just why they need to move and is a red herring
Old 31-12-2021, 09:22   #39

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Certainly some confusion. Newbie says they have a transmission that needs replacing. Is the old transmission working at all? Is the transmission in fact a saildrive?

If it is a non working saildrive, the boat needs to be towed to a haulout facility.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:25   #40

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Ok, so some confusion here

They HAVE a working engine, they just need to move the boat 15 miles to the new place, which they can't do solo as their insurance won't cover them.

They are looking for a licensed captain to come and do it for them. All the transmission stuff is just why they need to move and is a red herring
And furthermore they have an S drive transmission so the boat has to be hauled to replace it.

Most of the responses on this thread are due to a false assumption that the boat had no engine.

Chalk it up to a new boater not experienced in accurately describing the problem.

Note to OP: Would your insurance accept an experienced boater to help you move the boat or must it be a licensed captain? Legally a licensed captain is only required to carry passengers for hire, not to move a boat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:31   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Certainly some confusion. Newbie says they have a transmission that needs replacing. Is the old transmission working at all? Is the transmission in fact a saildrive?

If it is a non working saildrive, the boat needs to be towed to a haulout facility.
Engine is fine, they want to replace the transmission 'just in case' due to some sample analysis coming up weird.

They can't move the (working fine) boat solo due to insurance, they need a licensed captain to be on the boat with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
And furthermore they have an S drive transmission so the boat has to be hauled to replace it.

PS. To the OP: Would your insurance accept an experienced boater to help you move the boat or must it be a licensed captain? Legally a licensed captain is only required to carry passengers for hire, not to move a boat.
This is a good idea - the insurance company probably would accept an experienced boater - my friend has something similar and he called them and they asked him to submit a sailing resume for the friend, and then they ok'ed it

Would be worth asking at the docks if you can't find a professional
Old 31-12-2021, 09:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

OP said only indication of failure was oil analysis. The boat is operational. No further details given, my guess water or metal traces in oil. IMHO Any experienced boater could move it but should not push the transmission too hard.
Old 31-12-2021, 09:41   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
The only reason we can't move the boat is because we have to have 100 hours with a caotain before our insurance will allow us to.
simply tell insurance you finish 100 hour with a captain.how insurance know you are green,who tell insurance you don't have expiriency
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
simply tell insurance you finish 100 hour with a captain.how insurance know you are green,who tell insurance you don't have expiriency
Not a good answer. If something were to happen on that short trip the insurance coverage would probably be denied. Ignoring the insurance company requirement means no active insurance. For a new boater that could be a very bad decision.
Old 31-12-2021, 09:47   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Not a good answer. If something were to happen on that short trip the insurance coverage would probably be denied. Ignoring the insurance company requirement means no active insurance. For a new boater that could be a very bad decision.
why. do you have a court
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain