Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 13:19   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb
Re: Immediate crew needed Dominican Republic to Miami

Daugs- Thanks. Exactly my sentiments. I don't expect anyone to fly very far for a 5-7 day passage. I hope they're already in the neighborhood. Perhaps this is the wrong place to advertise for UNPAID crew, but I see people wandering around the docks looking for rides all the time, just not here, especially in this weather. There are also lots of people who want to build time.

As for food, I don't cook in the conventional sense. I can't eat wheat, so out go all the pasta dishes and lots of other things. I'm happy with rice, eggs, fish when we catch it and some veggies. Most would consider that abuse, so I just say get your own to avoid dissatisfaction trying to second guess what people want.

uncle stinkybob - The answer to the boat owner is there but was not obvious, but the question was invalid from someone not interested in the position as posted. I said "don't waste all of our time lecturing on how you think I should run my life and my boat". It is my boat. As Daugs says it is totally inappropriate for Steady Hand to take up 2/3 to 3/4 of the post tooting his own horn and trying to justify hiring him when that is not what I want. PM is fine, but now this post has been hijacked beyond repair for no good reason. And, apparently, he doesn't even own a boat to be telling others how he would do it...
Old 09-01-2017, 14:05   #17

thanks, that clears up a lot of things and to me, seems much more reasonable and understandable than maybe came across initially, but hopefully with clarity you will find some folk where everyone will be happy.
Old 09-01-2017, 14:19   #18

Boat: GibSea 472

It sound very much like a delivey. In a a cruise it can be expected that crews(friends) assume their own expenses, and may share the onboard food, and the skipper-owner assume its share plus all expenses associated with the boat, lile marina fees, fuel, repairs, etc. And the members of a cruise have their say on the cruise itself, where to go en route, what to do etc...
What this gentleman is offering is to pay nothing for the helper for this delivery: not food, no beer, no transportation, no salary, for an urgent job. I know that its sailing from DR, but even there slavery was abolished centuries ago. In fact it cast serious doubts on the skipper-owner, and on the state of the boat.
So I'm talking to the inexperimented sailor who maybe interested. Don't guet into that type of situation: Chances to have fun are slim, and paying to work is not a good idea!... Unlless your a stuck in this Island and ready to pay your way to the USA by you work. And then, I would recommand to check insurances and the waivers the skipper may request before departure.
Old 09-01-2017, 14:54   #19

Sheesh, what's with you guys? It is my boat. It is not a delivery. I bought it in France in May. I've sailed over 7,500 nm since then, including an Atlantic crossing with Jimmy Cornell's Atlantic Odyssey (5th of 23 boats, by the way). All on VOLUNTEER, UNPAID crew. My ultimate goal is Fr Polynesia and New Zealand. I have family coming to Miami I haven't seen in 5 years and a dear athletic friend who has stage 4 melanoma will also be there in a wheel chair and loves boats and wants to visit. One crew member was old and totally uninterested in sailing and left on his own before I could tell him it wouldn't work. Another couldn't live with her seasickness. My other guy is fine and we can get to Miami alone, but it would be a lot easier with one or two who could do night watches and wake one of us up for any close traffic or wind changes, etc.

Your comments are ridiculous and unfounded. Don't you have anything else better to do than kibitz about something you know nothing about and ruining my chances of finding someone in the process. Keep your recommendations to yourself when they're based on unfounded assumptions!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 15:07   #20

I sit and think about how it is with the safety board, the we hear nothing about.

How is the crew insured by accident or disease,

Is the trip which must be experienced or is it a long delivery?

How is it with food, it is proper food, or is it just junk food.
Old 09-01-2017, 15:19   #21

Boat: Mirage 35

Well, this is already going seriously OT, so I'll take the chance to philosophize a bit.

I will probably be crewing on a delivery in the spring that on the surface looks even less generous than the OP's offer: I'm expected to pay my own transportation, my share of boat expenses, and a small fee.

So feel free to tell me I'm crazy, but my perception is that I'm getting something in return. "What?" You ask.

It's a small charter company that moves some of their boats twice a year, and from which I have already chartered. They offer me a known quantity: I'm confident that they have well maintained boats, qualified skippers, won't leave me high and dry somewhere, and have the experience to ensure that everything is planned and managed adequately. For a relatively inexperienced sailor that counts.

Not saying the OP won't offer an equivalent experience, but for me it would be an unknown.

There have been helpful posts here explaining what some people are interested in and what others are prepared to offer; it's a marketplace where you may or may not find what you're interested in.

But, please, stop arguing about other peoples' criteria. They may not match your own; that doesn't mean they're not valid.
Old 09-01-2017, 15:34   #22

Thanks AnglaisInHull, but it think this thread is irretrievable as well and totally trashed for its intended purpose. I can't believe adults can be so childish.

Anyway, I'm unsubscribing. If someone by some miracle gets this far and is interested despite all the trash, PM me. If you just want to criticize and piss on my parade I'll do my best to have the moderators chastise you.
Old 09-01-2017, 15:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
Daugs- Thanks. Exactly my sentiments. I don't expect anyone to fly very far for a 5-7 day passage. I hope they're already in the neighborhood. Perhaps this is the wrong place to advertise for UNPAID crew, but I see people wandering around the docks looking for rides all the time, just not here, especially in this weather. There are also lots of people who want to build time.

As for food, I don't cook in the conventional sense. I can't eat wheat, so out go all the pasta dishes and lots of other things. I'm happy with rice, eggs, fish when we catch it and some veggies. Most would consider that abuse, so I just say get your own to avoid dissatisfaction trying to second guess what people want.

uncle stinkybob - The answer to the boat owner is there but was not obvious, but the question was invalid from someone not interested in the position as posted. I said "don't waste all of our time lecturing on how you think I should run my life and my boat". It is my boat. As Daugs says it is totally inappropriate for Steady Hand to take up 2/3 to 3/4 of the post tooting his own horn and trying to justify hiring him when that is not what I want. PM is fine, but now this post has been hijacked beyond repair for no good reason. And, apparently, he doesn't even own a boat to be telling others how he would do it...
I think you misunderstood me. I do have respect for Steady, I see him as polite and helpful, a genuine nice guy with lots of experience.
However
I do agree with you on ever point you made, I did not mean to jack the post, I was trying to support you without a lot of words. I don't care if it's your boat or not, as long as it's not stolen, lol. I would take you up on your offer, it sounds like an awesome time, I've never sailed on a big cat before. If I had the time, I would love the op to do a trip like this, and for the cost of travel and food? Seems cheap to me. How much do 40' skipperd cats charter for these days? I DO think this is the right forum to put it out there on, it's just that many who are not interested seem to think they need to modify it to suit their own wants rather than spending the time to search for what they do want. I wish you luck on finding the crew and have a great voyage!
Fair Winds
Old 09-01-2017, 16:39   #24

Boat: Mirage 35

Re the above: Just in case anyone misinterpreted my comment as being negative towards Steadyhand, it was not the intent. As usual he offered clear information in a reasoned way.

It's just that a few posts after that started to trend toward the mudslinging. It happens, maybe too often (as another thread or two have discussed recently). I know I have a tendency to think that way myself on occasion; I'm training myself NOT to put fingers to keyboard in those circumstances.
Old 09-01-2017, 17:26   #25

Boat: Nauticat 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I am available as experienced crew on Short Notice for owners and delivery captains too, during all of 2017. More info here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nd-152208.html

And I can fly inexpensivley to DR and from Miami and many other port cities in the USA and Caribbean.

But, what you are asking for, or "need" in your words, is someone who is willing to go on what will not be a pleasure cruise, (and sounds like a delivery) AND they have to pay for their own food and transportation to and from the boat?

That seems unlikely to attract the crew you "need."

My POV?
I suggest that captains and owners should offer to pay for transportation and ALL food too (at a minimum), as it is what I would do if I were the captain/owner (I live by the Golden Rule). It only seems fair to me, since the captain is offering nothing more than a requirement to work (labor) long hours for multiple days for no compensation or reward at all.

If I were a captain/owner looking for experienced crew to help me move my boat, I would pay for their Travel & Expenses (food) and provide them with some reward too.

YMMV

I'm in agreement with you. At the VERY LEAST, the OP should pay for food and return air fare, unless it is more of a cruise than delivery. From the sound of it, it is more the later than the former. I've done plenty of crewing in the last 30 years and would never accept the opportunity if I didn't get a ticket home...on a full stomach.
Old 09-01-2017, 17:29   #26

Quote:
Your comments are ridiculous and unfounded. Don't you have anything else better to do than kibitz about something you know nothing about and ruining my chances of finding someone in the process. Keep your recommendations to yourself when they're based on unfounded assumptions!!!

I think your tone and bad-mouthing former crew members have done a pretty good job of ruining your chances of finding someone.

Of course, I don't know you. Based on the temper of your replies, I don't think I want to.
Old 09-01-2017, 17:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Somebody needs to look in the mirror...

Steadyhand is one of the most polite, informative, and decent posters on this entire forum.

meatservo
"Steady Hand" is right... I have done boat transfers many times and the owner would pay for travel and food. Some trips I did for free and some were paid. With much experience, some skippers would give a tip, bonus at the end of the trip. I always showed my credentials and log book. If during the transfer I would stop and pick up and drop off some crew, I would make it very clear that I would not pick up or clean the extra crew or passenger messes.
Old 09-01-2017, 17:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
"Steady Hand" is right... I have done boat transfers many times and the owner would pay for travel and food. Some trips I did for free and some were paid. With much experience, some skippers would give a tip, bonus at the end of the trip. I always showed my credentials and log book. If during the transfer I would stop and pick up and drop off some crew, I would make it very clear that I would not pick up or clean the extra crew or passenger messes.

EXACTLY!
Old 09-01-2017, 17:57   #29

Boat: Aloha 34

From the perspective of someone new to yachts... I appreciate seeing offers like Wackerb's. If someone needed unpaid crew in my neck of the woods (Victoria BC), I would love to do it if I could. It's one of the ways I plan on gaining more experience before my wife and I cruise in a few years.

Thanks for posting Wackerb. Hope you find someone good!
Old 09-01-2017, 19:12   #30

Quote:
don't waste all of our time
Nice. Pot-kettle-black?

Do all of us a favor, next time title your thread "IMMEDIATE crew needed TO PAY ALL OWN EXPENSES for DELIVERY at owners schedule Dominican Republic to Miami"

Of course no one would read it, would they?
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, Dominica, Dominican Republic, miami