Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2017, 02:10   #1

Inexperienced uni graduate looking for a spot on your boat!

Hi there guys, first post here.

I'm Alex, 22 years old and I've just finished my degree studying Wildlife Conservation. I've done a spot of travelling here and there, just come back from doing some forestry work out in Sweden which has been fantastic! But I've always fancied working on a boat at some point, I've always loved boats so I thought I'd come here and show I'm interested.

I have absolutely no experience sailing myself, I've been out on sailing boats a handful of times fishing. But I reckon I have a few practical skills that should come in handy. I'm very mechanically minded, I've been rebuilding tractors and motorbikes since I was a nipper. I know my way round 2T/4T engines, generally decent with metalwork and woodwork repairs. I keep fit and healthy, I can run a 21 minute 5K. I used to row competitively in a few crews, mens 8 and single scull. Lots of snorkel experience hahahaha! I'd like to think I'm pretty smart too, if there are any positions on a whalewatching/diving/fishing related boat I could definitely play a part discussing the ecology side of things. I speak a little bit of Spanish, French and Swedish too.

At the moment I'm working two part-time jobs based in Derbyshire, UK. I can leave with relatively short notice. I'm willing to travel to meet up with the crew, my preference would be a longer voyage rather than a short one. I'd be happy to work for food and board for a deckhand role, willing to discuss other roles and travel expenses too. Just looking for the experience with a long-term goal to have my own boat at some point!

Many thanks for reading,

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	140154  
AlexanderB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 04:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Inexperienced uni graduate looking for a spot on your boat!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alex.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:32   #3

Hi Alex,

Welcome to CF! This is a fantastic place to get your feet wet as a new crew member, and I started up exactly as you are too.

I have a need for a set of hands on our (shortly) upcoming passage from Athens - Israel. We're looking to leave Athens on Feb 6, and arrive Israel by Feb 20 at the latest. First week will be casual cruising the Greek Islands, and a great time for you to feel out the boat and get comfortable with living aboard, second week is offshore passage to Cyprus, then onto Israel.

I can train you up on everything you'll need to know (I'm an offshore sailing instructor) and by the end of the trip you'll have salt in your blood. I'm a younger delivery captain, sailmaker, and instructor by trade, with ~30,000nm and a passion for getting new people into sailing. There's another younger guy joining as well, coming from Hawaii, with limited experience. All expenses while you're aboard the boat are covered.

Your mechanical experience is great, and I'm looking for someone with an adventurous streak as well. Give me a shout here or via email if you're interested in joining us.

Best,

Vinny
vincent.mattiola@gmail.com
vmattiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 05:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmattiola View Post
Hi Alex,

Welcome to CF! This is a fantastic place to get your feet wet as a new crew member, and I started up exactly as you are too.

I have a need for a set of hands on our (shortly) upcoming passage from Athens - Israel. We're looking to leave Athens on Feb 6, and arrive Israel by Feb 20 at the latest. First week will be casual cruising the Greek Islands, and a great time for you to feel out the boat and get comfortable with living aboard, second week is offshore passage to Cyprus, then onto Israel.

I can train you up on everything you'll need to know (I'm an offshore sailing instructor) and by the end of the trip you'll have salt in your blood. I'm a younger delivery captain, sailmaker, and instructor by trade, with ~30,000nm and a passion for getting new people into sailing. There's another younger guy joining as well, coming from Hawaii, with limited experience. All expenses while you're aboard the boat are covered.

Your mechanical experience is great, and I'm looking for someone with an adventurous streak as well. Give me a shout here or via email if you're interested in joining us.

Best,

Vinny
vincent.mattiola@gmail.com
Hi Vinny, I've sent you an email! Thanks for getting back to me.

Alex
AlexanderB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, enc