Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 15:20   #1

Boat: 1967 Rawson 30
Jamaica to South Florida, Late May

I am a singlehander preparing to return to the States aboard my 1967 Rawson 30 Ave del Mar. I am a single, 52 year old male in my fourth year of renovating and sailing my boat.

I sail safely and responsibly. I do not take unnecessary risks on the water. My vessel is in good shape although far from perfect. She has been re-rigged and re-wired and has the most up to date VHF, AIS, and SSB.

I am a happy, open-minded person and you must be, too. I do not choose to surround myself with bigots, evangelicals, jingoists, or negativity in general. I'm not suggesting you have to be Gandhi. Just don't bring hate onto my boat. Better yet, bring smiles and love for all people, and maybe your ukulele.

The age of an applicant does not matter to me. My boat is a safe space for anyone over 18, male or female, American or foreign, straight, gay, or anything else.

You can read some stories about my boat and my adventure (unfortunately I write more about the hard times than the easy times) at www.avedelmar.com and there are a few photos available in the "Ave del Mar" album on my profile page.

Peace. John
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 15:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Jamaica to South Florida, Late May

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-hood View Post
I am a singlehander preparing to return to the States aboard my 1967 Rawson 30 Ave del Mar. I am a single, 52 year old male in my fourth year of renovating and sailing my boat.

I sail safely and responsibly. I do not take unnecessary risks on the water. My vessel is in good shape although far from perfect. She has been re-rigged and re-wired and has the most up to date VHF, AIS, and SSB.

I am a happy, open-minded person and you must be, too. I do not choose to surround myself with bigots, evangelicals, jingoists, or negativity in general. I'm not suggesting you have to be Gandhi. Just don't bring hate onto my boat. Better yet, bring smiles and love for all people, and maybe your ukulele.

The age of an applicant does not matter to me. My boat is a safe space for anyone over 18, male or female, American or foreign, straight, gay, or anything else.

You can read some stories about my boat and my adventure (unfortunately I write more about the hard times than the easy times) at www.avedelmar.com.

Peace. John
That's a good post John.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 15:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That's a good post John.
Thank you so much.
Old 13-05-2017, 15:42   #4

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Damn John, I'd take you up on the offer, but my daughters wedding is in Cancun late May. If you change your plans and leave later, let me know.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 07:05   #5

Boat: Currently in between

Interesting, what route do you plan to take and straight travel or some sight-seeing? How long do you believe this trip will take?
Old 15-05-2017, 08:17   #6

Boat: Not yet

Hey John:
I would be interested in doing this, with you.
do you know what day of departure from Jamaica (arriving not a big deal)
Travel reimbursement, food, ect.
About my self ..Greg, 59 years old..Happy go lucky guy,,,I can and do get along with everyone,,have worked with people from all over the world,,who have showed and taught me much from everyone,, Worked on Seismic Vessels (ships) for 27 years, Oil and Natural gas exploration,, experienced Diesel rebuilding and maintenance ,,all kinds of hardware..deck work.. too rope splicing and cable work of all kinds,,
NOT a lot of sailing experience but have sail a little Sunfish around lakes home (Midwest). Three sailing lessen in St. Petersburg FL. (and loved it)
The cool thing to me is that I have been looking at and really considering a Rawson 30 for my own bucket list
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 05:51   #7

The plan is to take a direct route, with safe havens plotted along the way if bail outs are required. As of now it appears that I have the crew I need. I will re-post if they fall through. Thank you for your interest! ~John
Old 17-05-2017, 17:38   #8

[QUOTE=j-hood;2392438]
I do not choose to surround myself with bigots, evangelicals, jingoists, or negativity in general.

Well, it's apparent you won't be able to avoid at least one bigot on your boat. Or is it that you have a different definition of "evangelical" than the dictionary?

Your publicly displayed hatred of a group of people solely because of a religious viewpoint is bigotry by definition. It deserves approbation and many even be a violation of the law. It certainly would if you were seeking such assistance solely within the USA and offering compensation for it. Discrimination for employment or housing on the basis of race, RELIGION, sex, or national origin is forbidden by US federal law.

Shame on you.

Sojurnr
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 17:53   #9
mcm

His boat, his rules, you don't like it..tough...reality hurts for the weak minded.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 17:54   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

[QUOTE=Sojurnr;2395394]
Quote:
I do not choose to surround myself with bigots, evangelicals, jingoists, or negativity in general.

Well, it's apparent you won't be able to avoid at least one bigot on your boat. Or is it that you have a different definition of "evangelical" than the dictionary?

Your publicly displayed hatred of a group of people solely because of a religious viewpoint is bigotry by definition. It deserves approbation and many even be a violation of the law. It certainly would if you were seeking such assistance solely within the USA and offering compensation for it. Discrimination for employment or housing on the basis of race, RELIGION, sex, or national origin is forbidden by US federal law.

Shame on you.

Sojurnr

See, I simply took that as a man not wanting to be preached at.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 18:13   #11

Fair enough; however, I hate no one, including evangelicals. I will grant you that the rather casual phrasing of my ad may lead you and others to conclude otherwise, and for that I offer a sincere apology. Meanwhile, may we note that I have offered no anger, no calling of names, no threats of legality or declarations of shame.

By my understanding of evangelical, "of or relating to a Christian sect or group that stresses the authority of the Bible," I remain confident that someone who stresses the authority of the bible in their daily life will not want to spend two weeks on a 30 foot boat with me. I have no desire to tell anyone to not be evangelical. I could not care less what one does in the privacy of one's own spiritual life. I do care about the people I share an intimately-small space with.

Thank you for the loving, understanding, almost-Christ-like tone of your message to me.

One Love.

John

[QUOTE=Sojurnr;2395394]
Quote:

Shame on you.

Sojurnr
Old 17-05-2017, 18:13   #12

"His boat, his rules." Honestly, would you have reacted the same way if he'd posted, say, "I choose not to surround myself with non-whites, anyone not born in the USA or anyone who doesn't believe the Earth was created in six days"?

You know the answer.

Sojurnr
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 18:32   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Somewhere there must be a joke about:

"A Catholic Priest, a Buddhist Monk, an Evangelical Minister, a Mormon Elder, a Jehova's Witness leader, a Muslim Imam, a Quaker, and an Atheist were on a small boat, when..."

I took the OP's opening post as a good one, as it clearly expressed something about his POV and goal and his preferences. To me, it appeared he is looking for someone to enjoy the time spent together, without any "preaching" to him, which is something some people like to avoid, while others are known to be unable to NOT do it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 18:47   #14

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojurnr View Post
"His boat, his rules." Honestly, would you have reacted the same way if he'd posted, say, "I choose not to surround myself with non-whites, anyone not born in the USA or anyone who doesn't believe the Earth was created in six days"?

You know the answer.

Sojurnr
Being with someone on a small boat who lives a Christ Like life would be a hard thing to watch. A person living such a life does not need to Evangelize anyone. His or her life speaks worlds. You know, actions speak louder than words. Even their daily life breathes conviction and point people to God. The way to truth is narrow and few find it. Most people are not looking and prefer not to find it. I've never seen a Sailor or cruiser beat anyone over the head with a Bible anyway. People just dont want to be around a non cursing, non drinking, non smoker, non partier. Honestly they are no fun. I guess I fit that mold. Well, at least John apologized.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 21:56   #15

Wow. This is not at all similar to what I do not want to spend two weeks listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
Being with someone on a small boat who lives a Christ Like life would be a hard thing to watch. A person living such a life does not need to Evangelize anyone. His or her life speaks worlds. You know, actions speak louder than words. Even their daily life breathes conviction and point people to God. The way to truth is narrow and few find it. Most people are not looking and prefer not to find it. I've never seen a Sailor or cruiser beat anyone over the head with a Bible anyway. People just dont want to be around a non cursing, non drinking, non smoker, non partier. Honestly they are no fun. I guess I fit that mold. Well, at least John apologized.

Tags
florida, Jamaica