Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2022, 21:08   #1

La Paz, Mexico to San Diego on Dehler 41

Looking for crew to help bring our Dehler 41 home to San Diego braving the Baja Bash! Leaving La Paz on 12th May - feel free to join for whole trip on hop on in Cabo on the 13/14th. Can help with flights depending on where you're coming from! Email me at thm001@health.ucsd.edu.
DossAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:39   #2

Boat: Schionning 1040 Cat
Re: La Paz, Mexico to San Diego on Dehler 41

I'm interested, Can you give more details about your selves and the boat!
markanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:04   #3

A few more details….

The boat is a new purchase in pretty good condition. We’re bringing her North to San Diego where we live. She's a 2003 Dehler 41 in pretty good condition and is reasonably equipped for the journey - radar, gps, new sails - I will probably be adding an AIS receiver and an updated EPIRB. As with many boats down in Mexico the previous owner hasn’t been able to get the life raft repacked or new flares. Engine is good with low hours. I’m heading down in April to replace some of the running rigging that is in need of some attention.

About me, I’m a doctor based in San Diego - I’ve sailed my whole life mostly racing but moved into cruising after moving from the UK to San Diego. We had a beneteau 351 here in SoCal for several years but I’ve not done the Baja Bash before.

How about you? Have you done this route before? What are you sailing at the moment? Where abouts are you based? In terms of expenses for the journey I would cover the provisions and flights (within reason assuming you’re not in Australia!).

If you could let me know a bit more about your experience we can look at scheduling a call to talk things over - feel free to e-mail directly at thm001@health.ucsd.edu
Old 08-03-2022, 10:56   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

OP: I recommend Puerto San Jose marina over Cabo. (Cabo is a zoo... and ripoff.)

You should consider using satellite image charts for west coast of Baja.

http://sailing-pelagia.blogspot.com/...-baja.html?m=1

The Chartlocker has many free mbtiles charts (and tutorial):
https://chartlocker.brucebalan.com/
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 17:56   #5

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I

Please look at my profile here on CruisersForum. I will send you my sailing résumé with references upon request. I’ve done three bashes - spring, summer, and winter - in the past three years. Unfortunately, I will not be available until the end of May.
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 21:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukakai View Post
Please look at my profile here on CruisersForum. I will send you my sailing résumé with references upon request. I’ve done three bashes - spring, summer, and winter - in the past three years. Unfortunately, I will not be available until the end of May.
@pukakai - thanks for the interest but the dates are fixed due to the inflexibility of work - sigh.
Old 08-03-2022, 22:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
OP: I recommend Puerto San Jose marina over Cabo. (Cabo is a zoo... and ripoff.)

You should consider using satellite image charts for west coast of Baja.

Sailing Pelagia: Heading down the Pacific coast of Baja California? Create GPS-accurate electronic "charts" using Google Earth or better, ESRI ArcGIS

The Chartlocker has many free mbtiles charts (and tutorial):
https://chartlocker.brucebalan.com/
Thanks for the tips. Zoo I can handle but I don't know about being ripped off...
Old 08-03-2022, 22:44   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Cabo is indeed a zoo. I stopped for fuel during a December bash. I was only there for 20 minutes, but was glad to see it in the rear view mirror.

You won't need new running rigging, but will need a good engine with extra filters and a working anchoring system. You will also really want an autopilot and a dodger. You will get ripped off for fuel in Turtle Bay, but they are the only game in town.

If you have Verizon unlimited, they have sporadic coverage up the coast, good enough for weather updates.

I assume that the previous owner has canceled his TIP and you have new paperwork.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 22:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Cabo is indeed a zoo. I stopped for fuel during a December bash. I was only there for 20 minutes, but was glad to see it in the rear view mirror.

You won't need new running rigging, but will need a good engine with extra filters and a working anchoring system. You will also really want an autopilot and a dodger. You will get ripped off for fuel in Turtle Bay, but they are the only game in town.

If you have Verizon unlimited, they have sporadic coverage up the coast, good enough for weather updates.

I assume that the previous owner has canceled his TIP and you have new paperwork.
@donradcliffe - thanks for the tips! Fingers crossed for benign weather for what it's worth....
Old 13-03-2022, 13:46   #10

Thanks all for volunteers/advice. Crew position is filled for the moment.

Tags
la paz, Mexico, san diego