Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2023, 11:21   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Let's Talk about Inexperienced Crew Pay

I used to take on crew regularly for ocean passages. I always wanted someone that had some multi-day cruising experience. This is a great deal for a newbie.

The crew paid a share of the food expenses and their personal expenses. I paid the rest. I never paid a crew member.

There are a few articles on what to do as a crew member. A google search should find them.

Basically (in random order):

Pack light in soft luggage. Space is premium on a boat there is no space for suitcases.

Bring any medicines you need. No Pharmacies at sea.

Most skippers do not like smoking at all and no drinking while under way.

Absolutely no drugs. The skipper could lose his boat if a USCG inspection finds drugs.

Most of all be a team member and contribute to the success of the voyage. You are there to crew, it is not a luxury cruise.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 06:38   #17

Boat: moody 419,41.9', Pavati

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
No experience crew can often be net negatives to have on board, taking up space and another mouth to feed, while causing more problems than they solve. The offer to you is very generous.
To use on old UK Merchant Navy expression ( usually applied to Nav or Radio Officers)

Deck Ornaments
howlingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 07:52   #18

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Your lucky they are paying your flights!
Why would you pay someone unless they were a Captain and experienced crew moving your boat.
Effectively your getting a free holiday and training thrown in
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 07:57   #19

If no pay, are you an "employee" as far as insurance goes? Or are you a Guest?

This kind of unpaid internship is pretty common but status needs to be clear.

While some of the trip is offshore and might not be party to state laws, once you get within boundaries, do things change?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 14:04   #20

What you are being offered is pretty good. I have had people pay me $2000 for the offshore experience going NY to the Caribbean! I have also taken people from OPO and they have paid their own airfare. I provided all onboard costs of fuel food etc.
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 23:19   #21

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

I am crewing on a delivery across the Atlantic later this year on a friend's cat. I have 7 offshore trips under my belt (Pacific Islands). This is an exciting opportunity. I am paying all my flights but I get a 2 week vacation in the Canarias and another 2 weeks in the Caribbean. All food, etc is paid for me. A great deal as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck and ENJOY!!
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2023, 00:15   #22

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Sounds like a ‘Transback” delivery. There are people who would jump at the chance to have this experience with one of the well-regarded skippers.

If you think you are going to do this, ask around about the experience and reputation of the skipper. It’s a long time to be stuck on a boat with an a-hole skipper. There are one or two of them I wouldn’t get on a boat with again.

Also, expect a high likelihood of problems with the boat occurring with the boat either during the race or during the delivery. There could be delays or other unpleasantness. Transpac boats get beat up.

If you do go, try swimming in the calm of the Pacific high - it’s a magical experience. Stop the boat first, of course.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 14:34   #23

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

If you are looking for a logbook in which you record the technical/weather details of the voyage and remarks, comments and observations, I like the Mystic Seaport Museum Store Yacht Log by Kenneth Mahler. That said, they are not in print, but I found a vintage one in mint condition for sale on EBay last year for $15.

This is a captain's ship's log with a section for guests to sign, etc. and columns for Day of the Week, Date, Time, Position, Course, Navigator's choice, Person at helm, Skipper's choice, Current, current, wind dir. & force, weather - barometer, conditions, sky, vis & temp, plus much more.

Looks like one is still available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26623357316...Bk9SR-6k58H6YQ
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 15:27   #24

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingengines View Post
To use on old UK Merchant Navy expression ( usually applied to Nav or Radio Officers)

Deck Ornaments
I take it you were what we up there in the sun lounge called 'plumbers'

Sounds like a good offer to me.
I used to take crew simply on a shared vittling basis, never ever paid airfares.
Met some good people - and a few crazies.
Old 30-04-2023, 19:52   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I forgot to mention the other important pre trip question for US crew members.

"Do you think the last election was stolen?"

No matter what you think, I have learned from experience that you can't put both types on the same boat for two weeks in the middle of the ocean.

If any one has spent more than 2 nights offshore and wants to come back from Hawaii on a famous raceboat in July, PM me. I already have old seadogs with lots of experience, but need one or two under 50's. We fly to Hawaii about July 10, and should be in San Pedro in 12-13 days. The correct answer to the last question would be either NO or I will not talk politics on the boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 21:17   #26

Boat: Peterson 41

Morning
I'm a boat owner with more than enough negative experiences with crew found on a website with a similar name. The story of my boat is almost exclusively a nightmare - from the very beginning until now, 2 1/2 years after its purchase. I'd rather go single handed now (even longer legs) than getting again people aboard like the ones I had before. Lets be honest... the average Joe is of no or no significant use, is he? Just about 10 days ago I got ripped off by a guy who came from Argentina on my boat to work (maintenance, painting, cleaning, polishing, no special skills needed except being honest) while me being 5000 miles away. Guy turned out to be (again) a total nut, embezzled an not insignificant amount of money under the claim that we had an agreement (which wasn't true at all) about me paying for his flight and that the job was foreseen until October. The story is longer like I describe here but it was ignorance and selfishness in its purest form.

For me hiring or getting voluntary crew aboard I don't personally know for quite some time for sailing?
No, thank you.
Werner.-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:54   #27

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
This is a captain's ship's log with a section for guests to sign, etc. and columns for Day of the Week, Date, Time, Position, Course, Navigator's choice, Person at helm, Skipper's choice, Current, current, wind dir. & force, weather - barometer, conditions, sky, vis & temp, plus much more.

As a matter of interest, what are the “Navigator’s choice” and “Skipper’s choice” columns used for?

Also, this looks more like a ship’s log book than a personal one.
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:56   #28

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Having all expenses paid is probably a bonus. There will be many boats coming back to the mainland after the LA Honolulu Transpac race this summer all needing crew. Some will have all professionals but most will have mostly or all amateurs.

Also it is not all uphill, basically one long starboard tack for 600-1000 miles (depending on location of the Pacific High and powering range of the boat) then a right turn very light wind becoming a beam reach for the last several hundred miles.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
As a matter of interest, what are the “Navigator’s choice” and “Skipper’s choice” columns used for?

Also, this looks more like a ship’s log book than a personal one.
I use Navigators choice for distance to go and 24 hr run, and Skippers choice for motor hours/rpm
Old 06-05-2023, 09:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Having all expenses paid is probably a bonus. There will be many boats coming back to the mainland after the LA Honolulu Transpac race this summer all needing crew. Some will have all professionals but most will have mostly or all amateurs.

Also it is not all uphill, basically one long starboard tack for 600-1000 miles (depending on location of the Pacific High and powering range of the boat) then a right turn very light wind becoming a beam reach for the last several hundred miles.
That is the theory, but the reality is that the high can move north and you have to beat most of the way underneath the high. It can also move east, and you have to motor the last 300 miles. A band of gale force winds can also develop 500 miles offshore. You can also get tropical storms in the first 300 miles.

It is never the same, and if we get a strong El Nino by July it could be something new.

Tags
crew, enc