Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2021, 07:05   #1

Looking for company in Bahamas Jan thru Apr 2022

I'm looking for inexperienced or experienced crew to spend 2-3 months in the Bahamas with me on KalikTime starting in early January. My partner Alicia cannot join me this time(she may come for a couple of weeks) and I don't particularly like solo sailing so here's your opportunity. I'm looking for one or two people to join me that are fun to be with and enjoy this type of trip. There will be lots of chances to snorkel, swim, walk on beaches, hike on the islands, and have a drink and dinner at sunset with friends on this trip. I would love for someone to go that I already know. And this is also a great opportunity to learn sailing, cruising and meet the cruising community.

Itinerary(subject to some change): We will leave Marineland, Florida about Jan 10, travel the ICW to Miami, and cross to Bimini about Jan 20. Then we go to Nassau, down the Exumas,(Pig Beach, Thunderball Grotto, Sea Park, etc), Georgetown, Stocking Island, Long Island, Cat Island, Eleuthera, and returning to Marineland, Florida in April. We may stop in Andros also along the way to see old friends.

The boat: The boat is a 1977 Gulfstar Classic 37 sloop named KalikTime II, which was refitted in 2010. A video of the boat during the last visit to the Bahamas in 2019 is at https://youtu.be/Onh5MBvp09M

Interior pictures are below. The bench seats pull out to make double bunks. It is equipped with a RO water maker, a grill, refrigeration and hot spot internet connectivity.

The Captain: I have 40+ years and 35k+ blue water miles sailing experience. I have sailed on 6 continents with 2 ocean crossings. But now I am older and just like to go down the ICW to Florida and see friends in the Bahamas each winter. I'm also an avid scuba diver and fly fisherman, but not on this trip. There is more about me at my website. Keeping Life Simple

The Cost: You will be expected to cover your travel to and from the boat(I think you can leave your car at Marineland), and your own shore costs(restaurants, beer, etc). Grocery costs on board are shared equally(you can pick your own favorites at the grocery). Marina and mooring costs will be shared also(usually about $80 a night total for the boat). I don't normally stay in Marinas except at Bimini when checking in. If you want to stay in more marinas, that's ok, but you'll have to help with the cost. I will cover all fuel and boat maintainance costs.

Crew Experience: Sailing and boating experience is really not necessary(I have enough for both of us). I am looking for people to join me that are fun and enjoy this type of living on a sailboat(camping on water). It's a lot like camping in a RV except we throw an anchor out to keep from rolling off the parking lot. Be prepared to help in all aspects of the boating life. Cooking, cleaning and washing dishes we split 50/50. There's no waiter to bring drinks or dinner to your state room on this trip. Alcohol on board is fine(I'll join you) but no drugs or smoking please. Sorry, no pets. You'll be able to do your laundry every 10 days or so(bring quarters).

Immigration: Right now, the Bahamas require a passport or US Enhanced Drivers License for entry. A negative Covid test 3 days prior is also required by the Bahamas and full vaccination is a must for this trip(my request ... I'm older and it simplifies the trip).

Communication(internet, cell phone). I use a hot spot than can be used for all cell phones onboard. Once in the Bahamas, we purchase a SIM card from ALIV and split the cost of the data. I use Messenger and WhatsApp for my communicating but any internet based app using texting communication should work.

Dave Bowen
dbowen0849@yahoo.com
Dave256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 11:38   #2

Boat: ChrisCraft,Connie,37ft
Re: Looking for company in Bahamas Jan thru Apr 2022

Just a thought. I have made the same trip many times and usually skip Nassau. It has become a great drain on the wallet for no redeeming benefit unless you just want to say you did it.
Old 27-11-2021, 12:29   #3

Re: Looking for company in Bahamas Jan thru Apr 2022

The crew has been filled!
Dave256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas