Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 10:38   #46

Boat: Westerly Konsort 29'
Re: Looking for female sailing companion..short term, with option to stay

I am British and sailing in Atlantic France, south Brittany to be precise. I also would like to find a female sailing companion. This is my experience:- A female is obviously worried about sailing with only one man. Most have jobs to go to, or children or cats to feed, or are just too timid to enjoy this lovely area and risk sailing with an unknown male. I provide the capital investment, the depreciation, the maintenance costs and hassle, and the wintering fees. They do not realise the cost of chartering with a skipper, and do not seem to realise that food and boat running costs is a good deal. I am fascinated by the French Atlantic islands, which most people (apart from the French) do not even know exist. The Brittany people are most helpful and the weather (usually) is hot and sunny.

I do not expect any replies, but if you are interested send me a message.
RogerLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:18   #47

The internet is a great way to meet people. My wife and wonderful first mate/admiral died 3 yrs ago. We sailed much of the world together on 4 different cruising boats over the years. Alzheimers ended our cruising life. I went on line and met a lady that saw my profile and and we “clicked’. A year later we married and now have just completed our first year of marriage. We now continue the adventures. Cruising on my Tartan 37 (not crossing oceans anymore) , cruising our 38’ motorhome and cruising on unique cruises like merchant ships etc. At 75 we are having a blast. Yeah, the internet works. Good luck on your adventure. And, while cruising in Panama and Costa Rica, we buddy boated with a C&C 38 that had a large rotti onboard and very few marinas. Just lots of dingy trips ashore!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:38   #48

To the Op... lose the huge dog. Its likely going to be the dog or a women.
I bet you have a friend who would take the dog.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:32   #49

I, too, wanted a short term female sailing companion. However, my wife did not think much of the idea.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:57   #50

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

There could be lots of reasons why he didnt respond. None of them sinister.... If I were single and free I would consider reaching out to him, but to be trapped ( yes its just the ICW not exactly Polynesia remoteness but still) with a stranger , alone on a boat seems like the stuff of movies....caveat emptor ( sorry not English, but it loses something in the translation)
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:02   #51

Boat: Birchwood 33

"Oh, and a underwear metal detector if you want to find treasure..."

Did you mean "underwater metal detector" ?

A Freudian slip perhaps?
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:13   #52

Boat: Victoire 1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLloyd View Post
or are just too timid to enjoy this lovely area and risk sailing with an unknown male. I provide the capital investment, the depreciation, the maintenance costs and hassle, and the wintering fees. They do not realise the cost of chartering with a skipper, and do not seem to realise that food and boat running costs is a good deal.

I do not expect any replies, but if you are interested send me a message.
You're pretty much saying us womenfolk are too dumb to see what a great catch you are ... With that additude, it's going to be very difficult to attract a woman

Think I'll stick with my captain
syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 21:21   #53

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
I, too, wanted a short term female sailing companion. However, my wife did not think much of the idea.
NFOMCL

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 21:23   #54

Also, there is always the SSSSM thread on CF - 'Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates'

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...62608-153.html
Old 30-07-2019, 18:39   #55

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveball View Post
Saw a notice looking for female crew posted on a bulletin board in Suva in which the poster stipulated "must put out", under which someone wrote "the cat".
Totally true - but it's got to come naturally. If the chemistry isn't there - it isn't meant to be and shouldn't be - unless you're both (or more) pretty jaded and a snoggle and a snuggle is OK by itself.
The key word is "both".
I think it's pretty cool that in this stage of human cultural development, there are a fair amount of (by far) mostly western women who will get on a boat with a single man, based on just an internet connection.
Must say something about how the majority of humans seem to be pretty good to each other.
Which, of course, magnifies how incredibly awful some individuals can be.

Living on a sailboat, dating and looking for a sailing companion, is a very good perch to observe life and how culture has so quickly changed in the previous several decades.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 20:35   #56

Boat: Cavalier 350SL
Send a message via Skype™ to Yachticus

Send a picture of the dog
Yachticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 07:13   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
Id just rather be cooped up with a girl than a guy...call me crazy.
OP you are crazy, it only takes an accusation of rape without evidence to ruin someone's life.

Well good luck playing with fire, don't make that Pikachu meme face when you get burned.
pwnzusauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:36   #58

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
I am looking for a female sailing companion. Come check it out, head north for a week or so, and if we enjoy it, stay longer. The boat is a Tayana 37.
The Captain is me(48 male ,single, no kids, one dog) The crew is my 90 lb rottie named Buddy(and shes a she).
Im just purchasing a Tayana 37 and going to square some things away over the next month or so and head up the ICW from NC, to somewhere cooler and less prone to hurricanes for the summer. New England area more than likely. When it gets cooler, head south. The only real place that's set in stone to visit,well Id like to make it to Canada, but maybe not this year. In Nov or so I will stay in Hilton Head for about a month to visit old friends. Other than that's, its kinda play it by ear. We can go as far south as we decide in the winter.
While cruising the boat will be on the hook as much as possible. With a couple days a month in marinas. I wont spend a ton of time on shore. You are more than welcome to. I will feed you. I mean not hold the spoon and make airplane sounds..lol.. I will provide food for you to eat. My goal is to start eating healthier, fruits, seafood, but I do like pizza and steaks, so , you know.. once a week or something, who knows.
I have plenty of fishing gear and know how to use it. Im all about oysters, clams, lobster, fish , whatever. Also have a hookah rig. Oh, and a underwear metal detector if you want to find treasure...Ive heard its just like picking daisies
Im a professional boat guy. Have worked on boats most of my life. Ex Navy, sport fish charter boats, yachts, tugs, Capt, Engineer, of course deck hand and mate. I have owned a few sailboats, 5 to be exact...no 4..4 to be exact I haven't sailed in forever. In fact, I am recently coming back from 4 years in the mtns , sold my house and land up there and got this boat. But I fix boats, build them, and Im safe. We will be going up the intercoastal mostly under power at first, and slowly as we are comfortable with the boat and each others ability, going offshore sailing. We will sail when we can inshore as well of course.
A little more about me, I write and record music, poorly I cuss like a sailor on occasion , but only cuss a little around polite company. Im not a yeller...some captains are such @ss@@les...I mean man, it blows my mind..I am not, Im a nice guy. Uh, what else, I don't drink daily. I don't smoke cigs, or do pills, or powders. Everyones mother loves me..lol. Im a nice guy..that kinda sums it up. I don't steal, or lie, or cheat people. Im not sure what else I can tell you, so just ask anything.
About you...what am I looking for.
Someone with good hygiene ,that is far too young for me, much too pretty, and smarter than I am. OK, OK, how about, younger, cute, and witty..lol. Someone that is honest, can stand a watch without falling asleep, someone that can be trusted. Just a extra set of eyes and hands. Or someone that will turn around if I fall off...is that asking too much..lol. This isn't going to be a intense , stressful delivery. Its going to be a easy cruise , not in any hurry(well except to get north asap due me feeling like the longer Im here Im rolling the dice for a hurricane visit) BTW, Im going to try to include this cool picture I have. The numbers in the circles are average years between hurricanes in that area. I forget where I got it, its probably listed on the pic if you want to learn more.
I guess that's a good start. You can private message me if you are interested or have questions.
I really didn't think until now, if this is ok to post, I know it could sound like a personals ad..its not really. Id just rather be cooped up with a girl than a guy...call me crazy.

“I am looking for a female sailing companion.”

Aren’t we all
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 17:27   #59

Interesting assumptions up thread - "being cooped up with a girl" and then potentially being *unjustly* accused of rape, and having one's life ruined as a result...

Are males [who you might alternately be cooped up with] incapable of "crying rape"...???

Seems to me if not being accused of anything is your schtick, you'd be better off sailing solo!

For that matter, you'd probably be better off never going into port anywhere, so that means 'going around solo'.

So, by backward extrapolation, does that mean that all entrants in 'round the world solo' events are *potential rapists* attempting to avoid the almost inevitable *accusation*...??

[Tongue VERY firmly in cheek...]

Old 31-07-2019, 17:30   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Interesting assumptions up thread - "being cooped up with a girl" and then potentially being *unjustly* accused of rape, and having one's life ruined as a result...

Are males [who you might alternately be cooped up with] incapable of "crying rape"...???

Seems to me if not being accused of anything is your schtick, you'd be better off sailing solo!

For that matter, you'd probably be better off never going into port anywhere, so that means 'going around solo'.

So, by backward extrapolation, does that mean that all entrants in 'round the world solo' events are *potential rapists* attempting to avoid the almost inevitable *accusation*...??

[Tongue VERY firmly in cheek...]

This is sadly the result of the clown world we live in.
pwnzusauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing