Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2022, 08:48   #151
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

And then there’s the ignorant, claiming one would sail off the edge together with all the water when the earth would be flat They don’t even know the edge in reality is the Antarctic wall, steep and ice covered, keeping everything nice and contained like it’s supposed to

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 10:18   #152

I just so happen to know where you can find them or any other conspiracy you are interested in. I live in Ecuador close to Vilcabamba. Awhile back I heard that there was going to be a debate between a round and flat earther. It nearly culminated in a fist fight.

Go to the the Facebook page Vilca People. Perhaps even offer to take someone sailing with you. There are two more sites: Vilcabamba Community and Vilcabamba Life. Jet trails are also a very real concern as well.

The people on these pages are mostly Ex-Pat Americans.
Any or all of these pages would be a good place to advertise.
I wouldn’t try to disprove them. I would honestly be interested in learning just how they would navigate. I seriously would like to know.

Good luck.
windyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 10:23   #153

How is no one asking the obvious relevant questions? What happens when you fall off the edge? And why hasn't all the ocean water spilled off emptying the ocean and therefore why do boats exist? Could a flat earther really be duped into believing such a retaining wall could exist? And, will boats then orbit the flat with satellites? Will boats orbit also decay or will buoyancy and Archimedes prevail ..
BoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 12:04   #154
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMoose View Post
How is no one asking the obvious relevant questions? What happens when you fall off the edge? And why hasn't all the ocean water spilled off emptying the ocean and therefore why do boats exist? Could a flat earther really be duped into believing such a retaining wall could exist? And, will boats then orbit the flat with satellites? Will boats orbit also decay or will buoyancy and Archimedes prevail ..

Read post #151 above

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 12:50   #155

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Should be easy to find a member of the flat earth society, they have members all around the globe!
Then again the majority of the earth is covered by water, none of it carbonated!
Old 29-08-2022, 13:30   #156
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

I beg to differ..
Manitou springs..
Hida-osaka springs..
“City of springs” located around 450 kms south of Manila. You open the tap and there flows out a “carbonated” water complete with bubbles..
To many more to list..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 13:48   #157

Your cat can’t prove it cos you can’t get close to the ice wall.

But you can prove it mathematically.

Go to S60. Sail east from a fixed land mass or island. On the globe the distance around would be 12500 miles. On a disc world it’d be 75 000 miles. I think that should be proof enough for a flat earther.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 15:13   #158
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Should be easy to find a member of the flat earth society, they have members all around the globe!
Then again the majority of the earth is covered by water, none of it carbonated!
Wait what? Clever, almost went right by me. No more Evelyn Woods for me.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 15:17   #159
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty View Post
What a waste of time….I feel guilty for even taking the time to read this thread.
What a coinky dink.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 15:32   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What’s really interesting to me is to ask how these otherwise intelligent and thoughtful folk fell so far off the apple cart. Understanding this could have real-world benefits to addressing the growing number of anti-everything folks out there (and in here).
That's the trick.. a few are very intelligent.. theyre just not educated, practice magical thinking and believe their feelings have power. It's like having a supercomputer and having a child program it. And their PROBLEM is theyre intelligent. Their brains are incredibly good at making connections.. just not at realising that you need to test your ideas critically. It's honestly a bit sad. I find people supporting things i violently revile (and they know it) who are otherwise absolutely amazing people. And if theyd learn to think critically, educate themselves rather than find sources that agree with them, and reject tribalism they could be brilliant
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 15:34   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
Your cat can’t prove it cos you can’t get close to the ice wall.

But you can prove it mathematically.

Go to S60. Sail east from a fixed land mass or island. On the globe the distance around would be 12500 miles. On a disc world it’d be 75 000 miles. I think that should be proof enough for a flat earther.
The original experiment that proved it AND measured the circumference of the earth is incredibly simple and i believe done in the 17th century or before. And go on youtube there are a ton of debunkers who'll provide tests people can do in their own yard to prove it to themselves. These people are magical thinkers. They think "science" is a cabal rather than a methodology whos experiments you can do yourself
Old 29-08-2022, 15:38   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What’s really sobering about this doc is that most of thr people involved are far from idiots. In fact, I bet most of those featured would score very high on all IQ type tests.

Adherents to these “alternative facts” ideas have to be both smart and incredibly committed and tenacious. It takes a lot of intellectual hutzpah to argue that up is down, and black is white.

What’s really interesting to me is to ask how these otherwise intelligent and thoughtful folk fell so far off the apple cart. Understanding this could have real-world benefits to addressing the growing number of anti-everything folks out there (and in here).
Contrarianism and magical thinking. There is a trend on the right now to think contrarianism = intelligence. It doesnt of course. Not the first time in our history google "Know nothing party". And yes so noone gets butthurt.. there were times in history this was true of the left as well. It's "lazy faux intellectualism". Schools dont teach critical thinking unfortunately. They need to starting in first grade but some tribal fundamentalist of some sort would scream bloody murder that their childs mind was capable of seeing through the ******** they were being taught
Old 29-08-2022, 15:49   #163

ok.. Posting under a pserudonim... as .. I have gotten sponsors...

You have to go to https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/ get on the forums and (the most important thing) tell your sponsors that you just want their money.. as you (and they) know you are going to die as you fall off the edge of the earth..

They are wonderful people and have no problem with moving the cause of science forward by sponsoring.. they just do not want to die in the whole debacle.... (But saves one the hassle of being on a vessel with them.....)

Best of luck to you.... and... when you stop communicating with them... they know the earth is flat as you have gone over the edge.

I recommend a crypto transaction, as it is easier to hide the money after several tumblers.... and ... when you go silent they will not think it is a scam.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 17:12   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
The original experiment that proved it AND measured the circumference of the earth is incredibly simple and i believe done in the 17th century or before.
Slightly before ( if you consider 2,000 years "slightly" )

Look up "Eratosthenes of Cyrene".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 17:59   #165

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Slightly before ( if you consider 2,000 years "slightly" )

Look up "Eratosthenes of Cyrene".
...And his one simple trick flat Earthers HATE!
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote