Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2022, 22:53   #166

Boat: 2000 Robertson & Caine Leopard 45
Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

Enough already! The time has come to find that flat earth edge, take the conspiracy theorists there & help them off so that we can get on with life.
macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 06:37   #167

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
Contrarianism and magical thinking. There is a trend on the right now to think contrarianism = intelligence. It doesnt of course. Not the first time in our history google "Know nothing party". And yes so noone gets butthurt.. there were times in history this was true of the left as well. It's "lazy faux intellectualism". Schools dont teach critical thinking unfortunately. They need to starting in first grade but some tribal fundamentalist of some sort would scream bloody murder that their childs mind was capable of seeing through the ******** they were being taught

Agreed. This is why I call these folks anti-everythings. But I really think we need to be careful about suggestions about being uneducated or lacking critical thinking. I think the problem has more to do with the increasing tribal nature of our societies.

The problem is that once an issue becomes key, or to use Stephen Pinker’s term, “sacred”, to your tribe, evidence show that members use their reasoning powers to support their side. And depressingly, the more intelligent and educated you are, the MORE you (we, me) tend to do this.

This motivated reasoning is increasingly pernicious in our social and political dialogue. And the research suggests that more education and itteligence is not the answer.

My view is that we need to find ways to de-sacralize a lot of the critical issues of our day. If we can stick to silly irrational belifs like leprechauns or spirits or, yes, flat earths, and move issues like vaccines or climate change into neutral tribal territory (as they used to be), then we’d all be better off.
Old 30-08-2022, 06:50   #168
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

In what imaginary World has anything been 'Non Tribal'..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 08:14   #169

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You don't give gravity much credit... don't all sattilites orbits decay and they burn up as they fall down eventually...
It holds them as they swing past the curved edge at their programmed height.
Oh ye of little faith

Actually, when a satellite is over the "middle" (away from the edges), it is attracted by the gravity of the land more or less below it. When it goes over the edge, the entire slab of the flat earth is "below" it, increasing the pull of gravity sufficiently to pull a u-turn and fly back along the underside until it reaches the other edge and repeats the process. Voila!
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 08:21   #170

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
There is an excellent flick made about 1980 ..."The Gods must be Crazy" that I highly recommend everyone go and see or get the video.

"I don't want to talk about it"
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 08:48   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobar View Post
I'm looking for three flat earth theory followers to sponsor a circumnavigation next spring or summer to prove the earth is globe. I have Oceanis 350, that will be my part of the deal. You can write me PM.
Flat earthers are the same as other science deniers I.e anti vaxxers, climate deniers and Trumpers. No matter what factual and experimental evidence shows they will not accept. The whole educated scientific community is involved in a corrupt conspiracy. You are wasting your time trying to reason with them.
rickdelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 10:43   #172
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdelz View Post
Flat earthers are the same as other science deniers I.e anti vaxxers, climate deniers and Trumpers. No matter what factual and experimental evidence shows they will not accept. The whole educated scientific community is involved in a corrupt conspiracy. You are wasting your time trying to reason with them.
That's funny, they feel the same about you...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 10:48   #173

One of these is not like the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flat earth.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	263666  
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 10:59   #174

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Right. Pluto is not a planet.

Get over it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 16:03   #175
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Given this interesting snippet of evidence, critical thinking would suggest that life can only occur on flat planets. I'm not sure why but I suppose the important ingredients of life falls off the spherical ones and so never gets the chance to evolve while on the flat planet (like earth), this can't happen unless life ventures too close to the edges. Have you ever noticed no intelligent life exists at the edge of flat earth. We all huddle around 'middle earth'. Evolution favours the centre as it falls off at the edge. Obviously it never gets a foothold on the orbs.

So how (or why) did only one of the planets in our solar system get to be flattened. I think the answer is straightforward, God squashed it flat as he/she wandered about his/her universe. Presumably God is a big entity thus has big feet and a long stride. God has to stand on something as he/she strolls along admiring the wonders of the firmaments. Every footstep results in a squashed planet. I bet there are other flat planets in other galaxies and there is a good chance life has evolved on many of them. The only reason we haven't noticed them is because we have only been looking for spherical bodies. Most likely their thin edges are in the same plane as earth; after all God will be walking upright and the footsteps would dictate this effect. Living in middle earth, we can only look up from the flat earth, we should go to the edge and look out if we are serious about finding life elsewhere. Mind you, looking for the thin edge of flat planets is much harder than looking for the big round ones so it possible our technology is not advanced enough yet to discern them.

The big problem in the past is we have not been able to conceive that both flat and spherical worlds can coexist although only the former can support life (for reasons already explained). We need to look critically at the evidence (like Jack's image) and see things for what they are. We can all be right if we open our minds. Creation tells us God creates suitable spaces for life as he perambulates about, science explains how it can only evolve in/on his/her footsteps. This understanding also shows us another truth - the creationists and evolutionists together hold the existential realities. Individually their arguments fail yet united they triumph - hallelujah comrades.

It is like the chicken and egg thing, some folk go crazy trying to determine which came first when truly neither did, they are both necessary in order for either to exist. God created the flat earth but without the spherical ones, he/she would have nowhere to stand. Lucky for us, he/she has walked on and right now is squashing spherical planets elsewhere far far away. Better for us if he/she doesn't return...

MOR is spot on - its time to de-sacralize stuff, today is day one - be a skeptic of the truths.
You know I'm right .

EDIT - need coffee before the next epistle...standby (or not)!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 18:28   #176
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I notice there’s Australians posting here. Those are from down under, right? How are they able to post here on the right side of the planet and is that even legal?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 18:53   #177

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I notice there’s Australians posting here. Those are from down under, right? How are they able to post here on the right side of the planet and is that even legal?
No worries mate, we're not known for fully embracing legalistic clap trap.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 19:00   #178

Quote:
I wonder if it's related to their toilets flushing in the opposite direction?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 23:53   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
Virtually none of the "flat Earth" people actually believe that the Earth is flat; they're just trolling for laughs.
I wish it were true...
I was going to write the same thing as you, lestersails. I have spoken directly to people who seem to me to truly believe that the Earth may not be even remotely spherical. These people appear to be genuinely unsure of the facts. Honestly, it's a little frightening when you see it.

But a lot of people on this planet believe a lot of bizarre things. Most of the time it's harmless. The problems start when those people become policy-makers of one sort or another. Meh. Maybe it's true that we get what we deserve.

SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 00:07   #180
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
No worries mate, we're not known for fully embracing legalistic clap trap.
UB is on the money however for the record, the full answer is straightforward and any flat earther would know this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAP.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	263703  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote