Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2022, 07:03   #181

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdelz View Post
Flat earthers are the same as other science deniers I.e anti vaxxers, climate deniers and Trumpers. No matter what factual and experimental evidence shows they will not accept. The whole educated scientific community is involved in a corrupt conspiracy. You are wasting your time trying to reason with them.

I’m sure that just as most addicts have more than one addiction, most antis also embrace multiple false beliefs. I’d bet a king’s ransom that you’ll find a disproportionate number on climate science deniers or anti covid vaxxers in the flat earth crowd.

But while belief in a flat earth is mostly just amusing, many of these other beliefs carry real-(round)world consequences. This is why I think it’s dangerous to simply dismiss these people out-of-hand. Most are not uneducated idiots.

And we should all be wary of ourselves falling prey to similar flat-earthy ideas. We’re all human, with the same psychological weaknesses after all. So yes Wottie… remain skeptical.
Old 31-08-2022, 10:54   #182

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobar View Post
I agree with you, but the word can spread and someone will be interested!
What a waste of anyone's time.
We already know the outcome.
You'll have NO takers for this ill fated adventure.
BYD
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 11:01   #183

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Given this interesting snippet of evidence, critical thinking would suggest that life can only occur on flat planets. I'm not sure why but I suppose the important ingredients of life falls off the spherical ones and so never gets the chance to evolve while on the flat planet (like earth), this can't happen unless life ventures too close to the edges. Have you ever noticed no intelligent life exists at the edge of flat earth. We all huddle around 'middle earth'. Evolution favours the centre as it falls off at the edge. Obviously it never gets a foothold on the orbs.

So how (or why) did only one of the planets in our solar system get to be flattened. I think the answer is straightforward, God squashed it flat as he/she wandered about his/her universe. Presumably God is a big entity thus has big feet and a long stride. God has to stand on something as he/she strolls along admiring the wonders of the firmaments. Every footstep results in a squashed planet. I bet there are other flat planets in other galaxies and there is a good chance life has evolved on many of them. The only reason we haven't noticed them is because we have only been looking for spherical bodies. Most likely their thin edges are in the same plane as earth; after all God will be walking upright and the footsteps would dictate this effect. Living in middle earth, we can only look up from the flat earth, we should go to the edge and look out if we are serious about finding life elsewhere. Mind you, looking for the thin edge of flat planets is much harder than looking for the big round ones so it possible our technology is not advanced enough yet to discern them.

The big problem in the past is we have not been able to conceive that both flat and spherical worlds can coexist although only the former can support life (for reasons already explained). We need to look critically at the evidence (like Jack's image) and see things for what they are. We can all be right if we open our minds. Creation tells us God creates suitable spaces for life as he perambulates about, science explains how it can only evolve in/on his/her footsteps. This understanding also shows us another truth - the creationists and evolutionists together hold the existential realities. Individually their arguments fail yet united they triumph - hallelujah comrades.

It is like the chicken and egg thing, some folk go crazy trying to determine which came first when truly neither did, they are both necessary in order for either to exist. God created the flat earth but without the spherical ones, he/she would have nowhere to stand. Lucky for us, he/she has walked on and right now is squashing spherical planets elsewhere far far away. Better for us if he/she doesn't return...

MOR is spot on - its time to de-sacralize stuff, today is day one - be a skeptic of the truths.
You know I'm right .

EDIT - need coffee before the next epistle...standby (or not)!

GOD is another flat earth theory, with a similar outcome, unproven!
Geeze, be real at least.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 13:24   #184

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In what imaginary World has anything been 'Non Tribal'..

Sadly, a truism most think they are above.
Old 31-08-2022, 13:53   #185

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’m sure that just as most addicts have more than one addiction, most antis also embrace multiple false beliefs. I’d bet a king’s ransom that you’ll find a disproportionate number on climate science deniers or anti covid vaxxers in the flat earth crowd.

But while belief in a flat earth is mostly just amusing, many of these other beliefs carry real-(round)world consequences. This is why I think it’s dangerous to simply dismiss these people out-of-hand. Most are not uneducated idiots.

And we should all be wary of ourselves falling prey to similar flat-earthy ideas. We’re all human, with the same psychological weaknesses after all. So yes Wottie… remain skeptical.
If not uneducated idiots, then what kind of idiots are they? I asked only for classification purposes, I don't want to insult anyone's unsubstantiated beliefs
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 14:54   #186
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
GOD is another flat earth theory, with a similar outcome, unproven!
Geeze, be real at least.
Boatyarddog
But... someone has stood on the earth to squash it, look at the photographic evidence so kindy provided by JackDale. If is wasn't the big G, do you have another entertaining hypothesis.

Oh wait...I hadn't made the connection between the photo evidence and JD, I was only musing over coffee, the truth might lie in the JD connection.
Attached Images

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 22:51   #187

Boat: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobar View Post
I'm looking for three flat earth theory followers to sponsor a circumnavigation next spring or summer to prove the earth is globe. I have Oceanis 350, that will be my part of the deal. You can write me PM.

Just how do you think you will prove it to them? they are batshit crazy and invent a million excuses. It is easy enough to prove we are on a globe.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:33   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
If not uneducated idiots, then what kind of idiots are they? I asked only for classification purposes, I don't want to insult anyone's unsubstantiated beliefs

I try and follow the evidence. As with all groups, there are uneducated idiots. But that doesn’t apply to all, or I suggest, even most.

There is something going on which is driving an upsurge in, shall we call it, non-critical thinking. Lots of causes have been suggested: social media, siloed information spaces, opportunistic politics, economic forces, increasing censorship, a rise in absolutist thinking, religion, and yes, declining education.

I’m sure we could add to this list. But if we want to understand this phenomena we can’t just dismiss it as being caused by uneducated idiots.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:34   #189
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have just returned from that portion of "earth" which contains flying fish......and it got me to thinking.

We call this planet "earth"...but a better description might be to call it planet "water"...as around 71% of it, is covered, or inundated by the wet stuff.

I can see an earth devoid of water having some basis for a "flat" earth..but in reality, there is water most everywhere....a "flat" earth would be leaking at the seams..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:53   #190

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Right. Pluto is not a planet.

Get over it.
Neither is the Sun but it's shown in the graphic too.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:52   #191

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Right. Pluto is not a planet.

Get over it.
Sorry, I was born in the 60's, Pluto will always be a planet to me.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:55   #192
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

I was born in the 40's...
Pluto will ever be thus...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	263783  

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:27   #193

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I knew I'd get a chuckle from that little jab I made at Pluto.

But it got me thinking. Science is a set of tools and methods which allow us to observe, measure and calculate things beyond what our senses tell us. It's a process which continually refines what we know. It continually exposes a more nuanced reality. Our senses can't directly see, smell, taste, touch or hear Pluto.

Yet we know it's there, and, more importantly, we believe it's there. Through the scientific process we gain new knowledge, like the fact that Pluto isn't the only such object out there, and it isn't even the biggest. We learn that it's not really a planet at all.

And all of a sudden, what we want to believe becomes more important than what the tools and methods of science are telling us.

Maybe we all harbor a certain level of science denial. Maybe it's an innate human trait.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:44   #194

Quote:
Maybe we all harbor a certain level of science denial. Maybe it's an innate human trait.
That’s what the science says [emoji6].
Old 02-09-2022, 06:56   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was born in the 40's...
Pluto will ever be thus...
The planet was named before the dog
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote