Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 22:39   #31

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I refer you to Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. All is explained.

All hail Sir Terry, but please don’t forget the novel “Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions”.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 00:22   #32

Of course it is flat, that why we have great circle navigation. You need to sail in a circle to get back to your starting point otherwise you can go off the edge if you sailed in a straight line.
Sign me up!
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 00:28   #33

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
What happens to the ocean at the edge of a flat earth ??
Does it just roll off like a waterfall??? and if so, how is the ocean water replenished...rain ?? Where does the new salt come from to make the new rain/ocean salty ?
What happens to a sailor if you get to close to the edge ?? How close to the edge can you realistically get ??
What about fish ? How close can they get ?
How deep is the ocean at the edge ?? very deep ? shallow" what ? are there beaches ??
Is there land at the edge ? If so, what is it called and who lives there ?

Has anyone ever been to the "other side" of the flat earth ?? What does it look like ? Could you fly there ??

I can't be the only one with so many questions. I demand to know !!!! Give me answers !!!
My goodness you ask some funny questions, you are overcomplicating it, try applying the principle of parsimony.

Our world disc is bordered by ice cliffs (Antarctica) with the Arctic in the middle, no one has ever flown over them, NASA and the government redirect all air traffic away. The oceans sit inside.

There is no gravity, the Earth disc just accelerates at 9.81 m/s/s evenly upwards into the void, hence the above question regarding changes in your fake gravity are nonsense.

Finally, of COURSE you can't fly to the 'other side', if such a place even exists you would be lost forever to the void/space.

Hope I've cleared things up for you. Note that reference to 'tests' earlier in the thread can be discounted as they will either be government employees or simply doing the tests incorrectly.
Old 23-08-2022, 02:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
What happens if you get half way through and realize that they were right?

We will pass the other half and I will admit that their theory was correct.
krobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 04:03   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It's not a theory anymore.

They conducted a fool proof experiment involving 2 apertures set a few miles apart but equidistant above sea level and a light placed equally high above sea level and directed at the closest aperture, all components were directionally aligned. The theory was if the earth was flat the light would be visible through the second aperture from the light. For total transparency they allowed an independent film company to make a documentary of the whole process.

Unfortunately the test was found to be inconclusive because for some "as yet undetermined" reason it was necessary to raise the light to make it visible. Further experimentation is required.

However still the most convincing piece of 100% total proof is in this video of filming a level placed on the meal table on an aircraft to observe the bubble not pointing down hill all the time.

https://youtu.be/-PJ6iAy2n3M

What’s really sobering about this doc is that most of thr people involved are far from idiots. In fact, I bet most of those featured would score very high on all IQ type tests.

Adherents to these “alternative facts” ideas have to be both smart and incredibly committed and tenacious. It takes a lot of intellectual hutzpah to argue that up is down, and black is white.

What’s really interesting to me is to ask how these otherwise intelligent and thoughtful folk fell so far off the apple cart. Understanding this could have real-world benefits to addressing the growing number of anti-everything folks out there (and in here).
Old 23-08-2022, 04:07   #36

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... so I'm assuming the three sponsors are providing the dollars and you are providing the boat. Dunno how much you are looking for but for the sake of the argument let's say you are looking for about $75K. That's 25K per sponsor.

So you need 3 idiots flat earthers to pony up $25K each. That is a big ask I think. Most guys with a spare $25K are likely to be smart enough not to hand over their money on a fools's errand. You would do far better to look for 15,000 idiots flat earthers sponsors willing to part with $5 each. That is doable, especially in your part of the world. They wouldn't be interested in being on board so that is another bonus for.

You could even cut a deal with the well know grifter fund raiser down Palm Beach way. Ask him to give you access to his database of sponsors in return for you giving him 99% of all funds you raise by using his database. Of course, you will have to expect to conned yourself as he will find a way to keep 99.9% but that still leaves you 0.1% of many millions. Looking from afar, it seems his sponsors are willing to part with small sums if it used for the greater good and what could be better than proving for once and for all that the earth really flat, very flat, so flat you wouldn't believe.
Might get it if he would guarantee his findings would be favourable to flat earthers.
Old 23-08-2022, 04:44   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
Virtually none of the "flat Earth" people actually believe that the Earth is flat; they're just trolling for laughs.

Yep, this guy got a real laugh out of it
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...ornia/11993112

A self-styled daredevil who taught himself rocket science in a bid to prove the Earth is flat has died after crashing his homemade rocket in California.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 04:56   #38

Quote:

A self-styled daredevil who taught himself rocket science in a bid to prove the Earth is flat has died after crashing his homemade rocket in California.
Darwin giving out awards.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 04:57   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What’s really sobering about this doc is that most of thr people involved are far from idiots. In fact, I bet most of those featured would score very high on all IQ type tests.

Adherents to these “alternative facts” ideas have to be both smart and incredibly committed and tenacious. It takes a lot of intellectual hutzpah to argue that up is down, and black is white.

What’s really interesting to me is to ask how these otherwise intelligent and thoughtful folk fell so far off the apple cart. Understanding this could have real-world benefits to addressing the growing number of anti-everything folks out there (and in here).
Now your getting into the area of conformist and non-conformist..
There will always be those who will conform to whatever authority be it political or religious regardless of the evidence its hogwash.. They need to believe and be led.
Non-conformists usually start out as conformist but are flexible enough mentally not to accept everything as scripture and can see the widening cracks in the ceiling of 'Truth' letting in the light..
I'm not talking Flat Earth here, I have no bone in that argument, just wanted to see how many would bite over something so trivial..
Personally I don't give a toss what shape it is, we can live on it and that's all that really matters, not the argumentative folks who have to constantly ram their beliefs down others throats..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 05:11   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Ok, so let me get this straight.....planet earth is a giant frisbee, twiddling about in space with lotsa other frisbee's ?

So I got this one question for flat earthers....if it is daytime in the US, why is it nighttime in Australia?

How does the flat earth spin ? About it's N-S axis, or E-W axis ? or does it just wobble around?

I'm leaning towards the "wobble".

For all circumnavigators....so you leave Florida, heading west, continue on thru' Panama Canal and continue in a mostly westerly direction, until you arrive back in Florida, without having to sail back thru' PC.

I wanna know how this gets done ??
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 05:14   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now your getting into the area of conformist and non-conformist..
That’s not it at all. We’re into the area of ability to follow fact and logic, vs those who look at conclusive evidence (as in the referenced doc) and still argue black is white.
Old 23-08-2022, 05:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ok, so let me get this straight.....planet earth is a giant frisbee, twiddling about in space with lotsa other frisbee's ?

So I got this one question for flat earthers....if it is daytime in the US, why is it nighttime in Australia?

How does the flat earth spin ? About it's N-S axis, or E-W axis ? or does it just wobble around?

I'm leaning towards the "wobble".

For all circumnavigators....so you leave Florida, heading west, continue on thru' Panama Canal and continue in a mostly westerly direction, until you arrive back in Florida, without having to sail back thru' PC.

I wanna know how this gets done ??
I've explained this in my 5,000 mile curved edge + gravity..
Spin a coin in front of a torch, dark and light periods equate for both sides.. and yes there's a wobble and its increasing as it slows, just not fast enough to be seen in human lifetimes.. however, even scientists admit its increasing.
On its poles, hence satellites don't traverse poles and space debris has a distinct ring N & S of the poles.. its very difficult to get a satellite to stick to the edges with any accuracy.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 23-08-2022, 07:42   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think I've got it figured out.

Lookee here...see this map of the world....not only is it flat...it is a rectangular shape.

But I have some puzzling questions. How does one get to Australia after going thru' Panama Canal??
This map clearly shows that continuing in a westerly direction, one will sail off the edge of the world. Figures don't lie...this map clearly indicates that the only way to get to Australia would be to sail east around the Cape of Good Hope, or maybe thru'
PC and then east around the Horn.

This map clearly illustrates that this theory is correct.

Lookee at all the longitudinal lines, they are all perpendicular to each other, and don't meet at the north and south as I've been led to believe.
I've checked my collection of navigational charts and all of them show lines of lat/lat perpendicular to each other, so that jives.

I've always thought that flying from Miami to Cape Town was the longest flight in the world, but clearly...as once again....this map indicates flying from Miami to Australia would take twice as long.

I'm no scientist...'jes sayin'.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	263289  
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 07:57   #44

Quote:

He got the publicity he was looking for....
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 08:12   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think I've got it figured out.

Lookee here...see this map of the world....not only is it flat...it is a rectangular shape.

But I have some puzzling questions. How does one get to Australia after going thru' Panama Canal??
This map clearly shows that continuing in a westerly direction, one will sail off the edge of the world. Figures don't lie...this map clearly indicates that the only way to get to Australia would be to sail east around the Cape of Good Hope, or maybe thru'
PC and then east around the Horn.

This map clearly illustrates that this theory is correct.

Lookee at all the longitudinal lines, they are all perpendicular to each other, and don't meet at the north and south as I've been led to believe.
I've checked my collection of navigational charts and all of them show lines of lat/lat perpendicular to each other, so that jives.

I've always thought that flying from Miami to Cape Town was the longest flight in the world, but clearly...as once again....this map indicates flying from Miami to Australia would take twice as long.

I'm no scientist...'jes sayin'.....
Ahh..!!!!
Now your entering the world of the Spanish anti flat earthers.. The World is Chorizo shaped.
What your looking at is a representation of the skin removed and laid flat..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	263293