Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 04:13   #16

Re: Lots of Wannabes any real sailors out there??

Sunsetter
Sorry Tom, i think these folks have hit the nail on the head. I have sailed since i was a boy and never claimed to be an expert. I offered to give you a 2-3 week commitment and share the cost of food. It looks like that's not good enough. Maybe i am fortunate you turned me down.
Good luck,
4deckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:29   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4deckdave View Post
Sunsetter
Sorry Tom, i think these folks have hit the nail on the head. I have sailed since i was a boy and never claimed to be an expert. I offered to give you a 2-3 week commitment and share the cost of food. It looks like that's not good enough. Maybe i am fortunate you turned me down.
Good luck,
Good for you, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, some greenhorn is in for a fun lesson in more than sailing.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 00:13   #18

Boat: Catalac 12M (41ft)

As a novice owner, the Bahamas was our first overseas destination. I did have a sailing friend help me out as I had never even reefed the sails before. Both heads broke on our trip from Saint Augustine to Lake Worth. Repaired one with my friends help. He had to get back after the crossing so jumped ship on a boat returning the same day we got there, but we had a fantastic three months getting to know our boat and we only explored the Northern Abacos in all that time.
Old 25-02-2019, 05:41   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to RegisBittencour

is it a paid position for a professional sailor?
RegisBittencour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 00:20   #20

Boat: Last boat 51, Baveria
Re: Lots of Wannabes any real sailors out there?

I just saw this post, have not visited site in a while and last minute departure not possible but I am very interested in joining you as my current situation just changed. Lots of sailing experience, won’t go into it 100 Ton, sail endorsed, prior owner of 51 Baveria.
I retired once on second career now flying corporate jets, right seat last 10 years. Was just told by one client that his insurance won’t cover me due to age, WTF, and one owner died last year, Widow not going anywhere. So I just decided last week I may be done with flying and ready to just screw off. I’m 71 and excellent health.
Couple of years ago I helped a Aussie fellow from Tampa take his 42 foot Cat to the Bahamas for 3 weeks.
Your opportunity is just what I need. I’m easy going, funny- can be a bit sarcastic- love the ocean, financially secure, healthy. Any questions.
I can’t leave next week for extended time, may be able to get away for 10 days to help move boat, but definitely interested in joining up later.
Can contribute to expenses and get to Nassau, have some friends there who own day sailing business primarily for Atlantas.
Pilot Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:44   #21

Owners looking to find crew,,,,,this is a two way street. I was in the delivery business for about 10 years. My WORST deliveries were with owners....period. I now have the opinion that if the owner is going along....I’ll pass on the delivery. With that said the two way street applies this way.....owner needs crew....find sailors that have a little experience offshore. Make sure they do not get seasick,,,, press them on that. These sailers are looking to gain some experience and build up days, in most cases to obtain their license. As an owner you need to realize that you’re not getting a seasoned crew so it’s important to note what is motivating then to go on the trip. Picking up all or part of airfair and food on board is not too much to ask. Someone suggested Hank Schmitt group...yes that is a good start. If a sailor has crewed one of his passages you can get feedback on them from the captain. Be prepared to offer up your resume too....I’d never crew for a want to be captain. I hope that helps!
hzz9g1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27   #22

Boat: Chapparel Signature 24

I can understand your frustration in people canceling in the last minute. Maybe they had cold feet, probably from anxiety of jumping onto a stranger's boat or fear of the sea.

I have had several training courses and enough experience to get my near coastal OUPV, and I have recently been on three 500+ mile deliveries which I found via FindACrew.net. Two of the owners were overbearing and got very upset whenever you did not do things EXACTLY their way, even if they were small things that had nothing to with safety of boat or crew. One of them treated the crew as hired hands and worked the us 4+ hours a day on boat maintenance and repair beyond daily boat housekeeping, even though we were paying him more than daily expenses. Bad experience. I understand that his boat was his full time home and having a constantly revolving crew and guests can be difficult, but that was his choice. The other could not stop talking about how great a guy he is, super ego. The 3rd was very nice and fun to be with and I would sail with him anytime/anywhere again. Thanks Thor.

I am enhancing interview questions to ask my next owner, and will want a more extensive interview than 30 minute phone call. Yes video conferencing may help determine each other's temperament. It is important to know whether this is a delivery (fast or slow) or whether this is gunkholing excursion sharing love of the sea. It is good to ask the owner about the agenda of a typical day, but you will probably get a vague or whimsical generality. Keep in mind that the owner is selling himself and the opportunity he is offering as well as you are selling your services; caveat emptor. I recommend that the crew clearly express what they want and expect as much as the owner does. Make specific demands (snorkeling most days, a marina once a week, training, availability of laundry service over washing in a bucket, a freezer stocked with meat/fish, privacy and personal time, daily showers, ability to use the dingy to go ashore or adventure, etc.) and if the owner does not clearly and enthusiastically describe how he/she will meet your needs, don’t go! I have typically showed up a few days before departure, not only to get to know the boat but also the situation I am jumping into. This gives you the opportunity to jump ship before you weigh anchor. Twice I decided not to jump ship, but some of the other crew wished they had. You have to weigh the pluses and minuses.

I not not sure what a “real sailor” is (skills, experience, safety, attitude, love all things nautical?). My experience was appreciated as I recognized situations needing attention, but that is not necessary as long as the owner is competent. But, poor interpersonal skills; and not having clearly understood expectations and interests of both owner and crew can make a situation unpleasant if not intolerable.
tomcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:34   #23
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Just an opinion but I found the juxtaposition of such rude terms "lame" and "pathetic" to refer to well meaning folks who took the time to respond to you - then implying they were not "real" sailors (whatever that is) says way more about you than the responders.

I read your ad as vague and condescending.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:35   #24

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

It's a bit wierd to me..."Lots of Wannabes any real sailors out there??
Kind of like a challenge, some attitude, maybe lots of wannabes not good enough for you. I'm a licensed captain and have had paid and unpaid crew and I'd say that the captain/owner has to be the most flexible of all. To find a perfect match is tough and is just the luck of the draw. Until you've gone to sea you really don't know the person and their habits. If you don't know who you are asking aboard, asking for references is a must. Asking the captain for some names of people who crewed for him/her before makes great sense. If the captain balks, well...
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:28   #25

I will go. No bs , I can be reached at
Tbrewington77@gmail.com
Once you email, we can talk by phone.
Captkuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 14:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
Good for you, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, some greenhorn is in for a fun lesson in more than sailing.
Carl Panzeram comes to mind...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:00   #27

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

I crew a lot of boats, all met online though I always insist on at least one phone call to try and get a judge of personality. The last question I ask boat owners/captains, is, "Are you an as*hole?". Most say 'No!". Well they're lying. Everybody is an as*hole at times. "I try not to be..." Fair enough! And I've had a few tell me "Yes, yes I am!". I sailed with 'em just because they were honest and a couple have become great friends.
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail