Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2024, 07:29   #1

Boat: 1991 Newport 33
Melbourne Fl to Key Largo

I recently purchased a 1991 Newport 33 in Melbourne Florida and plan to move it to Key Largo where I rented a slip. I have experience in boating and navigation, but limited in sailing. I'm looking for someone who would like to make the trip and share knowledge. I am not familiar with the east coast of Florida, but I lived in the Keys for 10 years and was on the water daily all around on my personal vessel. Once in Key Largo I (and my crew) will travel back to Melbourne. I will pay for food and return travel costs. Also, I have experience in fiberglass, electrical, and mechanics(engine) and will be bringing my tools with.

Any information about routes is appreciated. I'm new to the sailing community and very excited to learn. My (near) future plans are to sail to the Bahamas then on down through the Caribbean once the boat is properly setup.
Stone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:39   #2

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: Melbourne Fl to Key Largo

When are you planning on making the trip?
Old 06-01-2024, 07:47   #3

I plan on making the trip in a week or two or three. Obviously weather will determine the trip.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:03   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Can't help you with crew, unfortunately, but as far as the routing goes, my strategy was to just follow the 100 foot contour (approximately). This keeps you out of the gulfstream current, away from any ATONs, and often gives a lift via eddies from the stream. Also always a good idea to set waypoints for all passable inlets in case of bad weather or malfunctions.

If you really got your timing right, that distance would be compatible with leaving just ahead of a cold front and arriving at warp speed before the hackles have time to raise up. Would be a fun trip!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 11:54   #5

Boat: 34ft O'Day 1982

How do your want to go south? ICW, hop skipping down the coast, or all in one offshore shot. Winter can be adverse and all depends on what kind of ride you want. Definitely stay closer to shore to avoid the G stream, and ride the long shore currents.
Hydro2
Hydro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 11:01   #6

Having made a few maiden voyages on old sailboats, here are some tips.
Pre-sail checks (very important, old boats break a lot):
Verify condition of bottom. If it has not been hauled recently, it may need to be cleaned. The marina should be able to arrange.
Clean seawater inlet for engine.
Locate and operate all seacocks.
Transducer may need to be cleaned.
Test head including holding tank diverter valve.
Test pressure water pump.
Test bilge pump.
Verify operation of: Compass light, Navigation lights, steaming and spreader lights.
Verify operation of autopilot if applicable. Do not store tools or steel objects by Autopilot fluxgate or control unit.
Inventory required safety equipment.
Verify operation of nav system if applicable. Obtain a backup nav system (phone, laptop)
Check oil and antifreeze. Visually inspect all hose clamps on engine. Take a short shakedown to test sails, rigging and engine. There is an area just north of Melbourne big enough to accomplish this. (PS. If engine fails in ICW, be prepared to drop anchor to avoid grounding)
Routing:
Head south to Fort Pierce. You can motor in one day if you start early. Here you can get fuel, water and enjoy a restaurant meal and shower. Go outside to Miami. It’s a one overnight sail if the weather is ok. Check “Predict Wind”. Don’t sail in the orange. There is a marina right inside the entrance or you can go into No Name Harbor through the Florida Channel just south of Key Biscayne. The Harbor is free with voluntary contribution. Nice restaurant and cold showers but no fuel or pump out. From here it’s a day trip to Key Largo. The currents in the Florida Channel are strong so watch the tides for transiting.
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:40   #7

I greatly appreciate all the replies. I found a crew. Thank you.

Tags
key largo