Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 12:36   #1

New England - Want experience

I'm planning to buy a liveaboard monohull this year and I've never been sailing before. I'm hoping to gain experience on a similar boat helping with watches, etc, on a shortish passage (<10 days) or day sail from New England so I can learn. I'm 51, easy-going, good health, brutally handsome. I don't know how this works so ask me what you want to know.

Lance
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 12:50   #2

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer
Re: New England - Want experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
I'm planning to buy a liveaboard monohull this year and I've never been sailing before. I'm hoping to gain experience on a similar boat helping with watches, etc, on a shortish passage (<10 days) or day sail from New England so I can learn. I'm 51, easy-going, good health, brutally handsome. I don't know how this works so ask me what you want to know.
Lance
You forgot modest...

I made the same offer, but I'm not as handsome as you are.
I keep watching the Crew Wanted section, but no firm commitments yet. I'm in Canada, so it's a bit more complicated coming back from Florida.

By the time people are sailing in New England, you should have your own boat ;-) Have you noticed that it's a bit chilly outside?
Old 20-01-2021, 13:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
You forgot modest...

I made the same offer, but I'm not as handsome as you are.
I keep watching the Crew Wanted section, but no firm commitments yet. I'm in Canada, so it's a bit more complicated coming back from Florida.

By the time people are sailing in New England, you should have your own boat ;-) Have you noticed that it's a bit chilly outside?
Haha I'm extremely modest. It's easily the most attractive thing about me. Btw, I hope it's clear that I'm joking! I'm almost as funny as I am beautiful.

I'm definitely open to traveling south. I just have no idea how any of this works so I'll adjust my sales pitch and broaden my net if I don't get any takers.

If I get a boat before you (and if the borders ever open), I'll take you on.
Old 20-01-2021, 13:12   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
You forgot modest...
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 13:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Hey Orion Jim, you're in CT! Keep me in mind if you need deck help.
Old 21-01-2021, 11:21   #6

Quote:

Lance
Strongly suggest you consider a sailing school. Also read lots of books on sailing before embarking.
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
Strongly suggest you consider a sailing school. Also read lots of books on sailing before embarking.
Thanks for that, it's great advice. I've been reading a lot, and I do plan on going to school as soon as the weather changes. It's just a pain being stuck up here with everything frozen over.

I probably should target my availability to sailors down south, but it's difficult to get out of the state with the pandemic. I'm doing what I can now to prepare.
Old 21-01-2021, 12:07   #8

Quote:
Technically, there is no such thing as a 'Live Aboard...anything'. They are simply boats. If you choose to live on it, then YOU are the liveaboard, not the boat.

As for New England....not a lot going on in the dead of winter. Certainly not any passage making. The only thing close will be anyone relocating TO New England, which won't be occurring until around May.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 12:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Technically, there is no such thing as a 'Live Aboard...anything'. They are simply boats. If you choose to live on it, then YOU are the liveaboard, not the boat.
I hope no boats were offended by my shorthand. If so, I apologize profusely to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
As for New England....not a lot going on in the dead of winter. Certainly not any passage making. The only thing close will be anyone relocating TO New England, which won't be occurring until around May.
Yep. Just putting my availability out there.
Old 16-02-2021, 05:12   #10

I'm sailing from Stuart Florida to Puerto Rico around March 7 via Bahamas route. I have a fully equipped, and refurbished 31ft Sloop. I'm looking for a 3rd crew member. The passage would take approximately 3 weeks. I would pay for your plane ticket back to the U.S. mainland, and provide food and provisions. Would you be interested? Cheers, Jim Cell: 786-212-5010
PanamaJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, England, new england