Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 19:05   #16

Re: new yacht owner in Hong Kong needs help

Can you be more specific like is the Lagoon 380 fully equipped for transatlantic crossings even if they say everything is okay you always have to double check and do some sailing before to make sure that she's ready to go etc
didier.truyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 19:16   #17

Boat: Van de Stadt Norman 41
Send a message via Skype™ to daga
Thumbs up Re: new yacht owner in Hong Kong needs help

Garry,
We might be able to help. Spoke with Anna about you, I think. No charge just cover our expenses. Currently on Sail Indonesia rally in Flores. We would treat this as a side-trip that would give us both experience on a cat (currently sailing a 12.4m mono). I am not a shipwright but have many years experience working on my own boats, including refit of my current boat. We can help with making boat sea-ready, outfitting, etc. Don't know HK especially but have sailing contacts there who can point us in the right direction. Both of us have commercial boat licenses and lots of sailing experience (51 + 35 years, dinghy and big boats, racing and cruising).
Dave and Lesley.
daga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 23:28   #18

Boat: Lagoon 500

My brother and I own a Lagoon 500 based at Gold Coast Marina in HK.
I would definitely recommend going to Hebe Haven yacht club and having a chat to the members there. A very welcoming club and a good source of information for what you’re trying to do.

Ask for Dan Connelly. He will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with the boat!
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 04:54   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I forgot to add that, although I am not experienced in that part of the world, to get from HK to Batam at this time of the year is not something to actually try - it is normally dead into the wind or close to!
that's right, john. this will not be a pleasurable journey, and not one i would choose.
Gary Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 04:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinAbudhabi View Post
I would definitely recommend going to Hebe Haven yacht club and having a chat to the members there. A very welcoming club and a good source of information for what you’re trying to do.

Good luck with the boat!
great tip, andy! thanks. Hebe is near where i am moored. i have not yet actually gone there. now i shall make a point!
Old 19-08-2018, 15:15   #21

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinAbudhabi View Post

Good luck with the boat!
Call in to the office at either Royal HK or Aberdeen yacht clubs and they will post a notice for you or even put you in contact.
We used to get a lot of guys needing delivery for the return trip to Manila, or Subic each year. Given a choice, I would go professional, Chas from Tas is to be very highly recommended you can find him, but many have done the trip. Time of year is important due to typhoon season and other weather patterns, but you can plan that with your skipper.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 02:18   #22

Hi congrats on the purchase of a great Cat. I could help you with all that stuff I am in France but do have the time. Take a look at my ad on crew available . Fair winds S.
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 03:40   #23

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Hello ,
If you can't find crew or skipper close to you I am willing to help you , contact me for more details .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 23:10   #24

Boat: Robertson & Caine, Leopard 48
Send a message via Skype™ to pilotvelez

I currently own a Leopard 48 based in Nongsa in Batam. Lived in Gold Coast for a few years. I'm familiar with the passage you are wanting to do. Your timing for the trip could not be worse. The wind and waves will be on the nose the whole way. Waters during the first third of the trip can be very dangerous. Coastal hopping as the previous poster suggested may be an option albeit an expensive one. Stopping in Sanya requires a lot of paperwork and money. If you need to bring it now, I would put it on a ship to Singapore. If you add the time and expense (HK very expensive) to get the boat ready for passage in Hong Kong and the cost of the trip itself you will see that sailing (motoring) it to Batam will not save you much. Ship it and then outfit the boat in Batam. Labor and parts will cost less. Stop by when you arrive in Batam. My ship name is Sabina.
pilotvelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 18:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotvelez View Post
I currently own a Leopard 48 based in Nongsa in Batam. Lived in Gold Coast for a few years. I'm familiar with the passage you are wanting to do. Your timing for the trip could not be worse. The wind and waves will be on the nose the whole way. Waters during the first third of the trip can be very dangerous. Coastal hopping as the previous poster suggested may be an option albeit an expensive one. Stopping in Sanya requires a lot of paperwork and money. If you need to bring it now, I would put it on a ship to Singapore. If you add the time and expense (HK very expensive) to get the boat ready for passage in Hong Kong and the cost of the trip itself you will see that sailing (motoring) it to Batam will not save you much. Ship it and then outfit the boat in Batam. Labor and parts will cost less. Stop by when you arrive in Batam. My ship name is Sabina.
thanks for your thoughts on this! i shall probably be staying in Batam for at least a few months, most likely, i shall also moor at nongsa. i have a ruko and staff in harbour bay, so i have lots support once i get there, unlike in hong kong, where i am a complete foreigner! once the winds turn, then i shall be sailing to the karimunjawa archipelago in the java sea. yes, i shall look you up when i get there!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:21   #26

I might be able to help somewhat. I live in Hong Kong on a yacht. I have a Hong Kong Grade 1 licence and am a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore holder. I’ve also sailed a Lagoon 500 to Subic.

Probably best if we discussed in more detail.

Drop me a private message and we can go from there. Would be happy to help where possible.

Cheers
Joemase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 15:36   #27
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to lfmarqx Send a message via Skype™ to lfmarqx

Good Afternoon,

I.ve been working at sea since 2007. I started in a cruise ship and since 2011 on yachts. Nowadays, I.m a freelancer chef but sometimes do some stew/deck/cook jobs. I.m currently in fort lauderdale but if you be willing to accept crew from here let me know. My website is www.cheflu.com password 0246

Best Regards,
Lu
lfmarqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 19:14   #28

Hi Gary, I live im HK. I recently purchased a sailboat in Malaysia and am in the process of getting the boat to HK. PM me, I would be happy to share my experience with you. Good luck!
barunal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 19:59   #29

Hello, I find myself in Hong Kong for a few more weeks and am an experienced multihull sailor, celestial navigator and weather router. I have circumnavigated on my Catana 42.

I would be happy to assist.
Ian K Johnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 15:45   #30

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"

Where are you moored in Hong Kong? Do you have a mooring that you are renting? If you are anywhere near Hebe Haven Yacht club there are all kinds of people with cats who will help you out certainly with information. Depending on your time there you should be able to do enough sailing and even find some crew who might be willing to hitch a ride out of Honkers. Use your imagination.
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong, yacht