Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 12:07   #1

Boat: Charters, monohull, 45' - 55'
Newport, RI, June 27, One Week Charter

This trip is based on collecting a crew, sharing costs equally and sailing with new found friends—this is not a commercial venture. If you would like to join us, please PM me with your email address and I will send an outline with full particulars. The Newport area is considered one of the best cruising grounds in the world. We will visit Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, Block Island or wherever our crew wishes to go. Typically, we eat breakfast and lunch aboard, pick up a mooring in the afternoon, then go ashore for dinner. Swimming, snorkeling and exploring an island at your pleasure. Booking early is necessary for securing a boat—they book up fast.

Fair winds,
Ed Thompson
Skipper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moorings 48.4'.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	206949  
Ed Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 15:57   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Newport, RI, June 27, One Week Charter

I know that entire area like the back of my hand having sailed there for 40 years. I’m not interested in joining you, because even though I now live in OR, I can sail there with friends for free. But, my purpose for responding is to warn you off Nantucket. Here’s why, Too freekin’ expensive! That is, IF you can get a mooring. I would plan to stop in Block Island (New Hahbah) then Cuttyhunk, maybe ovah to Menemsha, an afternoon in Tarpaulin Cove on the Vineyid Sound side of Naushon, (if conditions allow NO SE wind) then Vineyid Haven and maybe Edgahtown. From theyah you could sail by Cape Pogue, through the Muskegon Channel and back to Newport, depending on the weathah.
Other places to consider (again depending on the weathah) are ports in Buzzards Bay. like Mattapoisett, New Bedford, Marion, Hadley’s Hahbah, Woods Hole (you haven’t lived till you’ve navigated through Wood’s Hole Passage) and Quisset Hahbah. If the wind is nor’wes for a day or so, you can broad reach into Buzzards Bay and sail along the north shore stopping at points along the way. If it then backs to the sou’wes (prevailing wind in BB, you can close reach across to Woods Hole and then to the Vineyid. Lots of things and places to see without getting screwed in Nantucket.
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 20:21   #3

I've been going to Nantucket once or twice (sometimes 3 times) a year for 50 years, and robmo is sure as heck right on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmo View Post
I know that entire area like the back of my hand having sailed there for 40 years. I’m not interested in joining you, because even though I now live in OR, I can sail there with friends for free. But, my purpose for responding is to warn you off Nantucket. Here’s why, Too freekin’ expensive! That is, IF you can get a mooring. I would plan to stop in Block Island (New Hahbah) then Cuttyhunk, maybe ovah to Menemsha, an afternoon in Tarpaulin Cove on the Vineyid Sound side of Naushon, (if conditions allow NO SE wind) then Vineyid Haven and maybe Edgahtown. From theyah you could sail by Cape Pogue, through the Muskegon Channel and back to Newport, depending on the weathah.
Other places to consider (again depending on the weathah) are ports in Buzzards Bay. like Mattapoisett, New Bedford, Marion, Hadley’s Hahbah, Woods Hole (you haven’t lived till you’ve navigated through Wood’s Hole Passage) and Quisset Hahbah. If the wind is nor’wes for a day or so, you can broad reach into Buzzards Bay and sail along the north shore stopping at points along the way. If it then backs to the sou’wes (prevailing wind in BB, you can close reach across to Woods Hole and then to the Vineyid. Lots of things and places to see without getting screwed in Nantucket.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 20:59   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Mooring is not that bad if you have a bunch of people. Heck getting a dock might be reasonable as well depending on how many folks you have. In nantucket, you can anchor between first and second point. Current rips but no one is around. Main anchorage is crowded, shallow and current rips (two hook type of deal)

Better get your currents right along those islands. Woods hole, vineyard sound and buzzards bay etc. Otherwise you will sail in place until tide turns.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, newport