Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2023, 09:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet
Norfolk to Key West & Down Island for Winter - Unpaid - Revised

Thanks for stopping by to read this post. After reading some of the other posts I have revise my ad to be more thorough.

I am looking for crew to join this this year's adventure: There will be several different legs, and different folks signing on, and signing off of the crew as we go along. Get in where you fit in! People can sign on individually and other considerations.

If interested, then let me know a bit about yourself and the time-frame you are available. My family and friends of mine will be joining the boat along the way as well and I will be leaving boat every 3 to 5 weeks to spend a week at home.

Here's the general sail plan: Subject to change, and all of that stuff going on.

October 2023:
Norfolk, Va to Key West with stops in Beautfort, Wilmington, Charlestown, Jacksonville, Ft Pierce, Key Largo and Key West. We will be in Key West for Fantasy Fest and then spend 2 to 3 weeks in the Keys.

Crew spots available: 1 complete rookie, 1 novice, 2 "some experience".

Mid-November 2023: Sailing to the Caribbean. Cross to Bahamas and spend a week or 2 in the Exumas and Turks & Caicos. We will Island hop to Tortola. This passage 10-days to 2 weeks, and then South to the Caribbean.

Crew spots available: 1 novice, 1 "some experience".

December 2023: Arrive BVI and spend Christmas and New Years Eve. We will be mooring or anchoring in the Tortola, Jost Van Dyke and Anagada. We will be in Jost Van Dyke for the New Years Eve celebration at Foxy's. Crew spots available:

1 complete rookie, 1 novice, 1 with some experience.

January 2024. St Maarten and Anguilla, on anchor in Cole Bay waiting out the Christmas winds and exploring the island.

1 complete rookie, 1 novice, 1 with some experience.

February - May 2024 Island hopping from SXM to Grenada. Islands where that we will stop at and spend time include Nevis, St Kitts, Montserrat, Antigua, Guadaloupe (we will spend quite a bit of time here to see Les Saints and Marie Galante), Dominica, Martinique, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines and Grenada.

We will spend a lot of our time on anchor in Les Saints and Marie Galante (Guadaloupe), St Anne and Marin (Martinique), and Petit Martinique, Bequia and Tobago Cays (St Vincent and the Grenadines)

From here our passage ends at Prickly Pear, Grenada where the boat will ride out summer and hurricane season

Crew spots available: 1 complete rookie, 1 novice, 1 with some experience.

Particulars:

Boat: 2019 42-foot Lagoon Catamaran She is a well equipped and weights 24,000 pounds. Big, roomy, safe, solid, and comfortable. She has a 4-foot draft. Neptunes Waters is the second 42-foot Lagoon I have owned and these are wonderful boats

Furling Main, jib and code zero

Jib - Self Tacking
Main Lazy Jacks.
Self Tailing winches.
Electric winch.
Electric Windlass.
Water Maker.
Solar 1000 watts.
Large Generator
Big Galley, plenty of fridge space.
Large Saloon
VHF Radio.
Starlink for telephone and data service
B&C Navionics
AIS
Chart Plotter
Autopilot.
Windvane
Dinghy with 20 hp outboard with adjusting davits
Televisions and stereo system
Washer/Dryer
Cockpit - large and comfortable with Isinglass enclosure
Liferaft

Crew Expenses Captain pays for boat expenses. Folks on board share the cost of their groceries.

How much to budget for groceries?
Answer: take your existing food budget and add 20%.
Land and other transportation: By future arrangement. Crew joining the boat should expect to pay for their transport to and from the boat.

Customs, Duties, and Border fees: Expect to Pay your own way.

Safety and Security:

We will focus on comfortable, low risk, low stress sailing. We will be in a port almost every night as most island we will be going to are a day's sail. We will stay in port when there are high winds or storms and wait out the bad weather. The weather and ocean will give us enough un-planned excitement to deal with and enjoy, so we will not press in to foul weather or any other risky business. This means crew should be very flexible with time schedules.

All safety gear is up to date and functional.

Smokes: No tobacco smoke on board. Weed use is acceptable but not while underway.

Alcohol. The Anchor light is the drinking light. No consumption under way at all. But there will have a well equipped bar and beer stock. The Captain drinks very little alcohol.

Clothing. For packing considerations, space is the biggest limiting factor. If you have not been on a sailboat for an extended period of time there are suggestions I can make and we also have a washer/dryer on-board. If you do not have gear.html" target="_blank">foul-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-weather-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-gear, then you should expect to buy some for yourself.

The Captain:
65 Year old man. Healthy, Energetic, non-smoking, non-drinking (mostly), guy who likes to sail. Friends all-ove the world and easy to get along with. Participative leadership style. Pretty good cook if a restaurant makes the food.

7 years sailing experience aboard 42-52 foot sailboats, all of it spent island hopping the Caribbean.

I love to explore the local scene, meet the people and get in to the cultures of visited places, so I tend to be wandering type explorer. All day on a random beach, to me, is a good use of a day.

I have been a business person all of my life. I am not easily ruffled but calm under pressure and easy going. I do not generally raise my voice unless a wind is blowing in my face and cant be heard.

Ideal Crew qualities:
Galley friendly, coffee loving; creative cook, bold, brave, level headed, positive energy and attitude, a bit of a hippie, excellent communication abilities, in great health, non-smoking, not grossed out by fish guts, stable at sea, some experience with sailing preferred, a light packer, excellent problem solving skills, a cheerleader (and I don't mean pom poms and a short skirt, I mean a person who is excited and energetic when facing challenging tasks and not, how do you say in this country, be b*tchy about it). You should otherwise be in good health. If you have very good organizational and packing skills, you get bonus points.

I prefer someone to stay for the entire passage but have no issue with several people serving as crew coming and going as time permits. Unpaid female crew 35 to 60, attractive and fit. No animals on board. No partners, no substance abusers or drunks, and no crazy ex's that stalk

Considerations for complete rookie and novice crew.
Expenses: if you do not have good gear.html" target="_blank">foul-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-weather-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-gear, then you will need to buy it but there is little need for a lot of it down island. I have life jackets, safety harnesses, and tethers on board for you to borrow and use, but you must have your own foul weather gear.

Testing and proving yourself: I welcome complete rookies and novices with little to no experience. We all have to start somewhere. I am an excellent trainer and coach, and I enjoy doing it. It does take a tremendous amount of time and energy to show someone the ropes and teach them new skills. I have to have a good feeling that crew will be able to function on board as well as be safe for themselves, other crew, and the boat. I do not expect newbies to become experts overnight. I do expect that newbies arrive with a good attitude, good energy, and an ability to be instructed, tested, coached and corrected. Everybody makes mistakes and messes up stuff, myself included. Even my Dad, "the Admiral" fouls things up. We all have to be thick skinned and able to make corrections and keep going. This means that you will not show up, pack up, and get under way immediately. There will be some time spent familiarizing and making sure it is a good fit. This is for the benefit of everyone.
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 19:58   #2

Re: Norfolk to Key West & Down Island for Winter - Unpaid - Revised

I am interested in the leg from Norfolk, VA to Key West. Please send your email to DeerWood9323@yahoo.com. I will email a letter of interest with my sailing experience.
Sailingsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:10   #3

Boat: owned Several power oat and sail

Interested in entire trip. Sandy 954-226-2890
Sandy2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 14:20   #4

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Interested sent PM.
Please confirm reception as they don't show up in the sent folder, and I have my doubts about the PM function on this site.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 18:00   #5

I have not received an email other than this but no other message nothing to my cell phone or anything nothing to my personal email no contact info?
500redcar@gmail.com
1+954-226-2890 Sandy
Old 08-08-2023, 06:02   #6

Great, message sent, possibly check your spam.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:43   #7

To johnyH. PM sent
Old 10-08-2023, 15:58   #8

Cking now
Old 12-08-2023, 11:36   #9

I'm interested in crewing from January to April. My email is directtrish@gmail.com. I sent a private message through this site earlier, but have not had a response, so I'm not sure it was received. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sea Legs 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 10:58   #10

[FONT="Georgia"][FONT="Impact"]Hi Johnny,
I'm a sailor with intermediate level skills. I have crewed in the Caribbean on a three different sailboats in the winter of 2013, and on a catamaran in 2016/2017. Following that I then purchased a 39' monohull sailboat in Malta in the spring of 2017, and sailed it single-handed in the Mediterranean for just shy of two years. I'm 58 years of age, physically fit, can cook, resourceful, and I maintain a positive outlook.

I would be open to joining your crew for the whole season, or part of it, if that fits better with your needs.

I generally request a telephone or video call with the boat captain under to get a better feel for each other before making a final commitment.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Keifer
Keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 10:59   #11

BTW... my mobile phone number is (231) 645-0140.
Keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 11:28   #12

Hi Keller,
Sandy 954-226-2890
Old 21-08-2023, 16:24   #13

Hi there. Trip sounds wonderful . I would be especially interested in the Mid-November 2023: Sailing to the Caribbean portion but will might be available other times as well. I am a very healthy 70 year old Canadian male, who has a decade of experience sailing my own boat and have a number of basic Canadian and American sailing certs. My phone is 519 827 6849 and email is wstahl at icloud dot com. Hope to hear from you.
Werner Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 11:02   #14

Boat: Schionning 1040 Cat

Hi there I'm interested in your Leg 5 looks like Febuary onward!
markanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 16:23   #15

Hi there. Wife and I would be interested joining you in the fall/winter if possible? Please feel free to email me at mcelduce at yahoo dot ca
mcelduce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, winter